DVC Polynesian 100 pts direct

Thanks again to all of you for tour awesome replies, so quick to answer and so thorough!!! I will definitely be ready when I get there in late Feb!
I have come up with a plan, let me know what you think
I am planning on getting a total of 150pts, doing 100 pts direct to get the membership benefits (I am betting on Disney increasing direct buys benefits in the future considering the recent changes and want to make sure I can still have access to them)
I am ok with doing split stays, and although Poly is my #1 choice, I also love the theming of AKL and the fact that you can get value studios for minimal points but I know I will never be able to get those at 7 months...
So I am thinking of buying 100 direct at the Poly and adding a small contract (40-80 points) at AKL via resale. Having 100 pts at poly should let us get 5 nights/year or one week every other year, and 50 at AKL would let us do about the same... and from what I see, 1bedroom villas seem to be easily available at 7 months at many different resorts if we ever decide to go that way...
If I do that, I should try to get the same UY for both contracts, right? Are there any UY that are more readily available on the market?
We will be in no rush to get the AKL contract so it would give us time to find the perfect contract... any thoughts?

If you google DVC use year distribution it will show you the breakdown by month for various resorts. I seem to recall Dec was a popular UY at many resorts.

i have heard Riviera prices are increasing before the end of this month. I’m not sure if direct prices for other resorts will also increase. May be worthwhile to call your guide and find out if you can save some $ by buying this month vs end of Feb?

The direct price for Poly is $245 pp. 100 points, this is $24,500

An average 100 pt PVB contract would go let's say on the higher end around $155 pp, so $15,500.

This is a $9000 difference. Just make sure you are getting $9000 worth of value out of going direct.

(I am betting on Disney increasing direct buys benefits in the future considering the recent changes and want to make sure I can still have access to them)
I would not bet on this with any kind of certainty. Not trying to be negative, but I would not buy in anticipating future additional benefits.

Also another caveat is do not get too attached to room furnishings. They can change with remodels. In one recent refurb they removed the breakfast bar and additional seating, in others they removed jetted tubs, etc.

Poly is great! Enjoy your upcoming trip - make sure to do the full DVC tour and get the giftcards/fast passes! 😜

Because for almost 100$ more per point I would need to buy A LOT of annual passes 😆
I just bought a 100 pt poly resale last year and saved $9000 compared to the direct price of $235 pp at the time. Really look at the extra money for what you are getting and see if it is really worth it. What saving could you realize that would account for spending that extra money - the shopping or dining discounts? Blue card members don’t even get discounts on park tickets only AP. Sometimes the extra money spent buying direct doesn’t make sense. No you can use it at riviera but you have 14 other resorts you can hopefully try out.

Poly is my #1 choice, I also love the theming of AKL and the fact that you can get value studios for minimal points but I know I will never be able to get those at 7 months.
Just another thought. Poly is fairly easy to book at 7 months. Why not but your direct points at AK and add on resale at Poly - kind of a win-win. You get your direct points cheaper buying AK. And you would also save money buying your poly resale. Then in this situation you MIGHT get lucky and get a value room at AK

Just another thought. Poly is fairly easy to book at 7 months. Why not but your direct points at AK and add on resale at Poly - kind of a win-win. You get your direct points cheaper buying AK. And you would also save money buying your poly resale. Then in this situation you MIGHT get lucky and get a value room at AK
This

I thought poly studios were actually hard to get at 7 months... I’ll have to look into that but it’s a good suggestion!

You are also going to struggle finding a small AKV resale that matches your UY. Small contracts are rarer, go for a premium, and you won't have a lot of choice of UY.

So I am thinking of buying 100 direct at the Poly and adding a small contract (40-80 points) at AKL via resale. Having 100 pts at poly should let us get 5 nights/year or one week every other year, and 50 at AKL would let us do about the same... and from what I see, 1bedroom villas seem to be easily available at 7 months at many different resorts if we ever decide to go that way...
If I do that, I should try to get the same UY for both contracts, right? Are there any UY that are more readily available on the market?
We will be in no rush to get the AKL contract so it would give us time to find the perfect contract... any thoughts?
You are also going to struggle finding a small AKV resale that matches your UY. Small contracts are rarer, go for a premium, and you won't have a lot of choice of UY.
Adding to _auroraborealis_ 's post:

and don't buy AKV thinking you will be able to book the value studios (40 points will not be enough to go for 5 nights every year). The value villas are very difficult to book because so many others also want to stay "cheap". Plan on standard and try to buy a few extra to cover reallocations and/or a more expensive villa / season.

For what it was worth, Disney was willing to sell me 200 points direct at Poly @ $245 as of this week. I looked at doing a split, 100 direct, 100 resale, but found a contract for 200 resale at $143/pt that I couldn't resist. Plus being relatively new to this, I wasn't sure how easy it would be to align a direct contract use year with the resale (my understanding is they have to both be the same month to have it all under the same contract? Maybe i'm wrong on that)

Thanks again for these precisions
I must say it is quite attractive to see those resale contracts at a fraction of the cost...
I just can’t seem to get my head around the fact that I am afraid DVC will limit options for people who don’t have the blue card, so I guess to have this peace of mind I will start with buying direct the minimal amount and work around that. I really want to buy at a resort I am excited to stay at so I think it will be Poly. (Although all of what I am saying right now may change when I make the decision)
If buying direct, with a UY in December, my understanding is that I will have 100 points from 2019 banked (is that right?)... if it is the case, do I have to pay dues on those points for 2019 or just the ones they add in 2020?

I just can’t seem to get my head around the fact that I am afraid DVC will limit options for people who don’t have the blue card, so I guess to have this peace of mind I will start with buying direct the minimal amount and work around that.
Like what for example? What options do you think they will limit? Whatever the rules and limitations are that exist at the time that you buy in, is what you will keep. Historically this is how it has been done up to this point.
If buying direct, with a UY in December, my understanding is that I will have 100 points from 2019 banked (is that right?)... if it is the case, do I have to pay dues on those points for 2019 or just the ones they add in 2020?
If you buy Direct and get a Dec use year, your points were just given in Dec 2019 so they are not banked, they are actual current active points. You wil have to make a decision to use them or bank them by July 31 2020. As for dues, I am not sure, they may pro-rate you? I am not sure.

Legally, they are not able to do that.
That’s good to hear
So there is a « grandfather » clause that would let all the contracts acquired before any change to keep the same privileges? (Staying at the original 14 resorts, pool hopping, top of the world lounge, ...)

For what it was worth, Disney was willing to sell me 200 points direct at Poly @ $245 as of this week. I looked at doing a split, 100 direct, 100 resale, but found a contract for 200 resale at $143/pt that I couldn't resist. Plus being relatively new to this, I wasn't sure how easy it would be to align a direct contract use year with the resale (my understanding is they have to both be the same month to have it all under the same contract? Maybe i'm wrong on that)

Same UY keeps it in the same membership. Even though they would remain separate contracts, they function as one big one when it comes to booking home resort if they are the same,

So, Poly resale points and direct Poly points will show as two contracts, but because they are the same UY, they will act as one when booking.

The only exception to that now is that resale Poly can’t be used to book RIV or future resorts.

That’s good to hear
So there is a « grandfather » clause that would let all the contracts acquired before any change to keep the same privileges? (Staying at the original 14 resorts, pool hopping, top of the world lounge, ...)

Disney has always grandfathered previous contracts, but they don’t have to,

However, there are certain things that can’t be taken away, unless all members of that resort lose them...for example, pool hopping can’t just be limited as it’s part of the original documents I believe,

TOWL is a different story. That can be taken away and the rules changed as it started out only for DVC members staying at BLT,,,then they opened to all. Each year, that is renewed. They could just as easy change the rules on that.

Thanks again for these precisions
I must say it is quite attractive to see those resale contracts at a fraction of the cost...
I just can’t seem to get my head around the fact that I am afraid DVC will limit options for people who don’t have the blue card, so I guess to have this peace of mind I will start with buying direct the minimal amount and work around that. I really want to buy at a resort I am excited to stay at so I think it will be Poly. (Although all of what I am saying right now may change when I make the decision)

Here is the thing about sold out resorts. In order to give you 2019 UY points for a Dec UY, they have to have those points. If contracts were acquired through ROFR without them, they won’t sell you a Dec UY since you are entitled to those 2019 points since we are in the Dec 2019 UY.

If you were buying RiV or AUl...current resorts being sold..you’d get them without question.

In terms of dues, those are by calendar year. So, buying in February, you would owe 2020 MFs, from the date you purchase. Figure going direct, it would be about 10 months if it’s the end of February.

Resale is different,...though negotiable...Many brokers would tell you thst if you are getting current 2019 points for a Dec UY, the seller should expect reimbursement.

That’s good to hear

To change the O14 trade rules would require dissolving the BVT Condo Association and reforming it with new rules. The reason RIV and future can be restricted is because they are joining under different terms. Revising the terms of the O14 has massive legal barriers that would never stand up in Florida.

TOTWL can be gone for everyone at any time. Disney could decide to make it a DVC sales center tomorrow, even, and no one would have recourse. It's commercial space within the property. It is unlikely they would make it blue card only, as it does need to be self-supporting, and for that you need to sell lots of cake.

Pool Hopping is something that fades in and out. But as pool use is allocated via dues, if pools are available they cannot be restricted. I am fairly sure even RIV resale gets to pool hop.

RCI will never be restricted as it is not in RCI's interests to allow that from their side of that partner contract. The contract itself is subject to change, but there is no reason to believe RCI wants to discourage getting All The Points They Can.

The direct price for Poly is $245 pp. 100 points, this is $24,500

An average 100 pt PVB contract would go let's say on the higher end around $155 pp, so $15,500.

This is a $9000 difference. Just make sure you are getting $9000 worth of value out of buying direct.

This. The only property I’d buy direct at this point is OKW. 2057 end date. $156 a point. Fantastic point chart. It’s actually a decent deal. You have freedom to stay at all the resorts and OKW is one of my favourite properties.
That $245 price tag would be a non starter for me.

Consider this: you say now that Poly is your favourite, you’ll always stay there, but that’s probably not true. The family will age and you’ll want a one bedroom, you want to book something last minute, so you may stay elsewhere.

If you are hungry for the blue card OKW is a sound option. Don’t knock it. I own 900 points and wish I owned at OKW. Mine are at AKV and SSR. But I’ve stayed at every resort and truthfully, The Poly is one that I won’t book again.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter