DVC Purchase Questions

Understanding the booking windows is really important as is having realistic expectations of what you will be able to book at 7 months.
Realistic, yes. That pendulum swings in both directions.

I feel that prospective members just starting their research are usually too optimistic about 7-month availability, while many existing members are way too negative. If you have enough points to book 1-bedroom villas, availability is often wide open across all the resorts. If you only have enough points for standard view studios, things will be much tighter. The old adage of "buy where you want to stay" is too restrictive, in my opinion, since my favorite thing about DVC is that I like to stay everywhere and haven't had any trouble doing so.

Realistic, yes. That pendulum swings in both directions.

I feel that prospective members just starting their research are usually too optimistic about 7-month availability, while many existing members are way too negative. If you have enough points to book 1-bedroom villas, availability is often wide open across all the resorts. If you only have enough points for standard view studios, things will be much tighter. The old adage of "buy where you want to stay" is too restrictive, in my opinion, since my favorite thing about DVC is that I like to stay everywhere and haven't had any trouble doing so.
Yes good advice. Was not our original plan when buying, but we've tended to stay in bedroom villa units. And with bedrooms there does tend to be more availability after 11 months.

When it comes to studios on the less point side, those always seem to book up quickly. Lots of folks in this group. A typical grouping of folks might be:

Cheap and Cheerful
Optimize purchase of points, book standard studios at 11 months

Higher Studio Points Closer to the Parks
Still studios but more points required

Bedrooms
Typically more availability at the 7 month mark. And closer to the parks higher points required vs farther away maybe less points per night.

I've probably butchered the above badly. Point I'm making is we initial bought in being Cheap and Cheerful, but later added on points as we discovered we are more closer to the parks and/or bedroom people. This is all tough to think through I believe until you've stayed a few times and start to get a feel for how you like to do you DVC stay.

When our kids were younger, smaller rooms were fine. When they became teenager, we and they wanted/needed some separation in the room.

Last edited:
Cheap and Cheerful
Optimize purchase of points, book standard studios at 11 months

Higher Studio Points Closer to the Parks
Still studios but more points required

Bedrooms
Typically more availability at the 7 month mark. And closer to the parks higher points required vs farther away maybe less points per night.
I really like your categorization of DVC buyers. Honestly it’s the great thing about DVC: the flexibility lets everyone use it the way they want to.

We (just my husband and I) bought knowing we wanted 1 bedrooms for the extra space and king bed. We like having downtime in the afternoons and being able to spread out in the living room was really important to us. Plus we don’t always get up at the same time. I also underestimated how nice the W/D are in the larger rooms - now I can’t imagine staying in a room without a W/D. We don’t cook much in the rooms but the large fridge is nice for wine, other beverages, snacks etc. Having real dish ware and flatware is nice too.

Now with the addition of the Cabins there is even DVC for glampers and outdoorsy vacationers!

I also underestimated how nice the W/D are in the larger rooms - now I can’t imagine staying in a room without a W/D.
Well said. We usually only stay in a studio the first night as we fly down after school is out and then it is off to the Carousel of Laundry!!

What is this lottery system for AKV???
Similar to Virtual Queue, if you own there as a home resort is the only way you get to play in said lottery/game. ;)

My suggestion is to keep doing homework, & do not purchase any time soon. KNOW what you want before you let a guide sell you anything!!

Thank you everyone for your replies! SO much to think about! Anyone know of good places to start researching instead of the Disney site?

I'm not too sold on home resort. Would somewhere like Riviera or even Poly be nice? Absolutely but I'd rather go for more points.

Thank you everyone for your replies! SO much to think about! Anyone know of good places to start researching instead of the Disney site?

I'm not too sold on home resort. Would somewhere like Riviera or even Poly be nice? Absolutely but I'd rather go for more points.
There are tons of websites that can help but if you would like one really good super comprehensive resource I must recommend the DVC Field Guide https://www.dvcfieldguide.com/ - cost is about $13 and it's got pretty much everything you'll ever need.

Best info (from video) is this playlist. Start at the beginning & watch until you think you got it all, then start the playlist over and do it again. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1oGx7aOVSWpzi-Jf38ixUFmhzM03xuu-

Also a good thread (i think) is one i started called SAP+, but it is based more on value then preferred home resort.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/sap.3932280/

*edit*
Wanted to add the other “Jen” link to this post.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgvZMQtWPcPtCY21-L1wg_f6eawPfj97d

Last edited:
Best info (from video) is this playlist. Start at the beginning & watch until you think you got it all, then start the playlist over and do it again. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1oGx7aOVSWpzi-Jf38ixUFmhzM03xuu-

Also a good thread (i think) is one i started called SAP+, but it is based more on value then preferred home resort.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/sap.3932280/
Thanks for sharing Chili. Really like the 3 minute video showing the graphical journey of DVC pricing. Thought I saw OKW starting out at $48/pt. As other resorts came online, OKW climbed as the preferred resort to $100/pt. Then about 2010 the direct prices start to really take off. Very interesting. Makes me wonder what the graphic will look like over the next 30 years.

Yes, DVC prices since 2010 have changed in a huge way....

The product also has become much more premium. Compare RIV to OKW for example, compare VGF to BWV, Disney especially under Bob Paycheck as Jim Cramer called him, really tried moving the parks to a more upscale experience. That showed in the positioning of DVC and the points charts as well. So you needed more points, and the price per point became extremely expensive.

We bought direct last summer at the VGF deal. Prior to that we thought we would never buy direct. We find the direct benefits most useful when we are on the cruise ship of all places, and to enjoy the EPCOT lounge....

Good luck in your journey!

Yes, DVC prices since 2010 have changed in a huge way....

The product also has become much more premium. Compare RIV to OKW for example, compare VGF to BWV, Disney especially under Bob Paycheck as Jim Cramer called him, really tried moving the parks to a more upscale experience. That showed in the positioning of DVC and the points charts as well. So you needed more points, and the price per point became extremely expensive.

We bought direct last summer at the VGF deal. Prior to that we thought we would never buy direct. We find the direct benefits most useful when we are on the cruise ship of all places, and to enjoy the EPCOT lounge....

Good luck in your journey!
What are the direct benefits while on DCL?

they give you little gifts, invite you to a champagne reception, and include a special meet and greet while on board. it's not much.
Do resale members not get the gifts as well?
I thought the only benefit for direct only is to be able to use points to book the cruise and some discounts.

I also wanted more points because I want to stay in 2 bdrm villas for at least one whole week+ per year. My DH and I do not share sleeping space with our teenagers or anyone else. Two bathrooms minimum. That requires 400+ points. For me wdw is so much fun with resting days when I can relax at the pool. Another aspect is switching resorts at 7 months. I want to try them all. Some cost more points. I own 400 pts at SSR, which has easy availability and lower points. I don’t mind bus transportation because I’m usually enjoying adult beverages on vacation! I also switch at 7 months and usually at higher points cost. I also own 160 at BLT, which is somewhat available at 7 months in lake view ( higher points). So 560 pts for our family of 4. Teens and college age kids love wdw and they get to invite a friend. We fill the fridge with groceries for breakfast and lunch. It’s a great time!

I also wanted more points because I want to stay in 2 bdrm villas for at least one whole week+ per year. My DH and I do not share sleeping space with our teenagers or anyone else. Two bathrooms minimum. That requires 400+ points. For me wdw is so much fun with resting days when I can relax at the pool. Another aspect is switching resorts at 7 months. I want to try them all. Some cost more points. I own 400 pts at SSR, which has easy availability and lower points. I usually switch at 7 months and usually at higher points cost. I also own 160 at BLT, which is somewhat available at 7 months in lake view ( higher points). So 560 pts for our family of 4. Teens and college age kids love wdw and they get to invite a friend. We fill the fridge with groceries for breakfast and lunch. It’s a great time!
You book BLT at 11months though right?
I’m thinking the best scenario is to book everything you can in 3-4 day increments and then you can switch full reservations or waitlist using full reservations.?

You book BLT at 11months though right?
I’m thinking the best scenario is to book everything you can in 3-4 day increments and then you can switch full reservations or waitlist using full reservations.?
So far, I haven’t booked blt yet because I just bought them recently. I couldn’t resist the price. However, yes after the refurb I will be booking at 11 months using the split stay option. Since standard will not likely be available at 7 months, I will book lake view as this is my best chance for combining at 7 months for a whole trip in one villa. I don’t want to pack up the whole crew for a split stay but don’t mind it at all if it’s just me. Currently I have 9 days in a 2 bdrm at BRV in June. Also a week at Poly with one dd. 21 days!!

Last edited:

While you're researching, I'd think about a few things that are applicable only to you:

1) how often are you traveling
2) how long are you staying each time you travel
3) generally speaking, what times of the year will you be traveling
4) how many people are in your party and what size room do you want to stay in?
5) do you want to be able to stay at RIV, DLR, the new cabins, or any new resorts going forward?

If you're traveling once a year, you won't be buying an AP, so you won't use the biggest financial benefit from having a blue card.
If you'd don't care about staying at the restricted resorts, then there's really no good reason to buy direct.

From what I have seen online it looks like only direct purchases get any extra benefits.
Yes, but the cost savings on resale is tremendous especially if you want a sold out resort. So you need to weigh the direct benefits vs the cost difference. For a smaller family if you only travel once a year, the annual pass savings doesn't necessarily help even out the additional costs to buy direct. If you have a larger family, or go a lot then the benefit is more substantial. Also, it's important to keep in mind that none of the benefits are guarantees to always be there.

Also, make sure you research your use year and banking points before you buy. I've seen some people who usually travel in the fall get stuck with a December use year because that's what the agent pushed and it became problematic if they needed to make changes to a trip. Ideally your use year should be just before when you like to travel. That way if you have to cancel a trip, you still have plenty of time to bank your points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter