Eat at Home 3!

Hi there!

Newbie here and from the UK but I am trying to cut down our spending to justify our return to disneyworld next year, as DH said ‘If you can find the money!’ So challenge on :D

Groceries is our own downfall, we spend a lot, so also on going out to eat and takeaways so I’m trying to put a ban on eating out or takeaways unless it’s an occasion or something. I’m pescatarian so we swap fish and meat around to suit each other, hence why there might be two versions listed!

I’m going to try and post on here every week to encourage me to stick to it, and any savings from our weekly budget.

Hope everyone is having a lovely week!

So meal plans for myself and DH this week is;

Monday (today) - mung bean lentil Dahl with spinach and pilau rice.
Tuesday - M&S chicken meal from freezer (bought reduced last week) for DH and salmon fishcake from freezer for me with sweet potato fries.
Wednesday - (England World Cup semi final so we have some people round to watch the match) Homemade pizzas for everyone and salad.
Thursday - Jacket potatoes with baked beans and cheese.
Friday - Black bean veggie chilli with corn on the cob.
Saturday - I’m visiting my family so they’ll most likely be BBQ’ing, DH will make eggs most likely for ease.
Sunday - Nut roast with Yorkshire puddings, peas and carrots.

We’ll be doing all breakfasts, lunches and snacks from home too!

So far weekly food spend is at £22.35 out of our new £60 budget! (That budget also includes cat food for our two fur babies)

I’m off to scout the rest of this thread for some ideas xx

It's been a while since I have posted here. We have gone through a lot of changes in our household in the last 6 months. DH had gastric bypass in December and has gone from being almost 400 pounds to 207! I did not have surgery but I have been eating high protein, low cab/sugar with him and have lost 65 pounds. I still have between 30-40 pounds left to go. So our meals will not be very exciting. :D You will see a lot of zucchini as our garden is exploding with them.

Sunday - Oldest DS birthday and he wanted chicken wings. DH and I had grilled chicken with salad
Monday - Zucchini Lasagna, salad, grilled fruit
Tuesday - chicken sausage, zucchini chips, deviled eggs
Wednesday - Leftovers
Thursday - chicken and veggie stir fry
Friday - Spicy Chicken Rolls, fruit, salad
Saturday - leave for cruise

Hi there!

Newbie here and from the UK but I am trying to cut down our spending to justify our return to disneyworld next year, as DH said ‘If you can find the money!’ So challenge on :D

Welcome! There are so many wonderful ideas on this thread! Hope you find some good ideas to make at home to keep those costs down. If you have any questions or want a recipe, please do not hesitate to ask!

So, it's been a few weeks between vacation and illness since I posted (note to self - catching a summer cold sucks, and then catching a stomach virus right as you kick the cold is worse - darn lowered immune system)...anyway, this is partly a "what we did" and "the rest of my plan"...

Sat (stomach virus day) - Well, my spouse made the Fresh Salmon I bought the day before b/c it wasn't savable, so my nice dinner went uneaten by me, but the kids loved it. He served it with Strawberries and Cherries and Pillsbury biscuits (I asked for this to try to settle my stomach out - this was all I ate all day - and it did work)
Sun (recovery day) - Everything I tried to eat made my stomach rebel and my spouse didn't want to cook for 2 days, so I opted to try the "standby sickie food" takeout of Boston Market - a few bites of plain rotisserie chicken, plain mashed potatoes, and cornbread solved the world's problems (or at least got me back in an "eating" mode) - the rest of the fam added some Red Grapes to the mix:)
Mon (almost back to normal) - Still keeping it light in case anyone else got sick, I made Aldi's Baked Chicken Patty Sandwiches with Lettuce and Dijonaise, Banana Nut Muffins (can't have too many potatoes and bananas after not eating for 2 days:)), Strawberries/Cherries/Grapes
Tues - Since I pulled out 2 different soup broths (turkey and duck) on Sunday to see if I could eat a broth - and they failed - I'm gonna make a Crockpot Turkey Breast with one of the broths for a base (they were too flavored for my stomach, but they should work great to flavor a turkey and make a gravy) - I'll add Stuffing and Cranberry Sauce and I'm gonna make a Fresh Nectarine Crumble (with Oatmeal Topping) for dessert
Wed - Turkey Pot Pie - with whatever broth I don't use tomorrow as a base and some fresh veg from Aldi's (TBD - going tomorrow), More Strawberries and Cherries
Thurs - Homemade Pasta Alfredo with Ricotta and Gorgonzola (I think I'll be ready for this then), Spring Pea Salad with Mint
Fri - Leftovers or Frozen Pizza, Smoothies
Sat - OUT (It's Movie Night at the Pool, so we're trying to plan around that)...

I am planning meals for the next 4 weeks due to Gen Con being the first weekend of August (2-5) but I am struggling. Right now I have burrito bowls and roast chicken. That's it. Gonna have to go through these posts for some inspiration.

Since you're cooking for 1, I'd suggest making the base meats for several dishes the first week, freezing, then using the rest of the weeks. For example, brown a pound of ground beef- use for burrito bowl, taco salad, spaghetti, sloppy joes. Grill a pound of chicken- use by itself with side of grilled veggies, then in salad, wraps, and chicken alfredo. Crock pot a pork tenderloin- serve by itself with veggies, then as pulled pork sandwich or sliders (we like w/pineapple), tacos or enchiladas, and on pizza with other toppings you like. Grill a nice steak. Serve with veggies, then as a topping on loaded baked potato, in salad, and in soft tacos. Cook up a pound of turkey breasts. Serve with a side, then in pot pie, in pitas, and in a salad. Just some ideas.

Hi there!

Groceries is our own downfall, we spend a lot, so also on going out to eat and takeaways so I’m trying to put a ban on eating out or takeaways unless it’s an occasion or something. I’m pescatarian so we swap fish and meat around to suit each other, hence why there might be two versions listed!

I’m going to try and post on here every week to encourage me to stick to it, and any savings from our weekly budget.

We’ll be doing all breakfasts, lunches and snacks from home too!

You'll be amazed how much you save when you eat from home AND when you're writing it down to keep yourself accountable. Sticking to a budget is easy for me because I always have Disney to inspire me to stick to it!

It's been a while since I have posted here. We have gone through a lot of changes in our household in the last 6 months. DH had gastric bypass in December and has gone from being almost 400 pounds to 207! I did not have surgery but I have been eating high protein, low cab/sugar with him and have lost 65 pounds. I still have between 30-40 pounds left to go. So our meals will not be very exciting. :D You will see a lot of zucchini as our garden is exploding with them.

Wow- you two are amazing! Congrats on getting down to healthy weights and being disciplined to stick with it. Your meals can still be exciting without using lots of fats and sugars. Since you're already growing a garden, grow some herbs to use in your kitchen. We love rosemary, cilantro, oregano, basil, and mint. I use garlic instead of salt a lot and red pepper and cumin.

So, it's been a few weeks between vacation and illness since I posted (note to self - catching a summer cold sucks, and then catching a stomach virus right as you kick the cold is worse - darn lowered immune system)...anyway, this is partly a "what we did" and "the rest of my plan"...

Hope you're back to feeling better!

A little late but plan of the week-

Sun (10-7)- we didn't make hot dogs on 4th of July so DH grilled them and made French fries so it was ready when I got home from work:)
Mon (8-5)- crock pot sesame pulled pork sandwiches with home made Asian coleslaw
Tue (off)- DS out to dinner with GF's family for her birthday, so I just made big tuna sandwiches and fruit for DH and I since DS doesn't like tuna
Wed (1-10)- rotisserie chicken with roasted red potatoes
Thu (1-10)- beef enchiladas
Fri (8-6)- Cobb salad subs

Since you're cooking for 1, I'd suggest making the base meats for several dishes the first week, freezing, then using the rest of the weeks. For example, brown a pound of ground beef- use for burrito bowl, taco salad, spaghetti, sloppy joes. Grill a pound of chicken- use by itself with side of grilled veggies, then in salad, wraps, and chicken alfredo. Crock pot a pork tenderloin- serve by itself with veggies, then as pulled pork sandwich or sliders (we like w/pineapple), tacos or enchiladas, and on pizza with other toppings you like. Grill a nice steak. Serve with veggies, then as a topping on loaded baked potato, in salad, and in soft tacos. Cook up a pound of turkey breasts. Serve with a side, then in pot pie, in pitas, and in a salad. Just some ideas.

One of the things I decided to do is spend a bit extra this week (I can cover it, but keep a lower budget then I can "afford" normally), buy like 4lbs of chicken breasts, bake them, slice and portion them, and then freeze. That way I now have extra chicken ready to go. This will mostly be for work lunches so I can add some variety (I have pretty much been eating a salad topped with either chicken or tuna). This way I can make wraps or different bowls as well as salads. I am also going to make breakfast burritos (eggs, roasted potatoes, onions, peppers, and corn salsa). Then I have something to alternate with my yogurts in the morning.

I love the rest of the ideas though! I am bad about not thinking about other ways to use leftovers besides just AS leftovers. But making it into something new would be a great way to mix it up without adding too much cost. Thanks!

OP Here :) I thought working from home would force me to plan better but in the short term it has caused me to throw all planning out and rely on take out way to much from being tired and stressed not good. Time to put on my big girl undies and buckle down! We have 77 days till Disney and have been blessed to upgrade to boardwalk with a ap discount, so excited! Also surprise! Pregnant with number 4! My youngest is 6 and oldest will be 16 soon so bit of a shock here but in a good way just means planning and more planning is necessary ti stay on budget and avoid any new debt. Glad I can share our news here as its early and I don't head to the drs till end of July so waiting to tell family and kids bought a cute shirt through with Disney snacks saying eating for two thats how we will tell them anyways thanks for listening

Congrats! Those early stages are exciting, but its hard not to be able to tell everyone your HUGE news right away. A surprise pregnancy takes some getting used to - even if it is a welcome surprise.

Our CSA just came out with a meat CSA option - their chicken, beef and pork are soooooooo tasty, and a little cheaper than comparable product (local, organic blah blah blah) but I generally don't spend a lot of money on meat, just buy good stuff sparingly and make it stretch. The monthly meat shares work out to more than I usually spend on meat in a month, but I went ahead and signed up anyway - most of the share arrives frozen, so I figure the 5 monthly shares we will get will take care of most of our meat needs for way longer than 5 months. Plus I had to pay now, but first share won't arrive until August. And then we have - re-up our annual CSA veggie share in September (they always sell out of both kinds of shares pretty quickly, so you have to committ when they come up for renewal). So I'm really trying to cut down on our grocery spend to make up for the CSA grocery expenditures.

Its a sad and lonely week this week - kids are away all week starting Monday, DH is away for half the week. Good chance to use stuff up and save some serious grocery $$$!

F- Friends are coming over, I'm making homemade pizza (with homemade ice cream for dessert) They are bringing salad - easy and fun meal with the kids.
Sa- Out - think we're going to try Shake Shake - one just opened near us. I think there was a coupon or something if you download the app
Su- Leftover pasta/Whatever veggies need eating
M - Eggs/whatever veggies need eating
Tu- Good bread from my CSA (expensive, but amazing, so a treat!) plus fresh veg from the CSA
W - DH is back (yay) so salads with grilled chicken
Th- Shrimp/noodle stirfry
F- Picnic at a local outdoor theater production - Maybe cold noodle salad with chicken, cukes, peppers and peanut sauce? Going with friends, so not sure who is bringing what.

Last week I went shopping for most of the ingredients for this week too since some of the meals are using leftovers. Instead of the enchiladas Thu. I did spaghetti and then because I stayed later at work Fri. night doing interviews, I did a roast in the crock pot with Mexican seasonings. We used that beef in soft tacos with all the toppings. I only have to shop for a few things today. This week's plan:

Sun (off): burgers, chips & dip, watermelon
Mon (8-5): taco salad with leftover roast meat
Tue (8-5): Hawaiian sliders with leftover pork and fruit & veggies
Wed (1-10): beef enchiladas
Thu (off): strawberry pecan chicken salad
Fri (1-10): Cobb salad sub

Sat (stomach virus day) - Well, my spouse made the Fresh Salmon I bought the day before b/c it wasn't savable, so my nice dinner went uneaten by me, but the kids loved it. He served it with Strawberries and Cherries and Pillsbury biscuits (I asked for this to try to settle my stomach out - this was all I ate all day - and it did work)
Sun (recovery day) - Everything I tried to eat made my stomach rebel and my spouse didn't want to cook for 2 days, so I opted to try the "standby sickie food" takeout of Boston Market - a few bites of plain rotisserie chicken, plain mashed potatoes, and cornbread solved the world's problems (or at least got me back in an "eating" mode) - the rest of the fam added some Red Grapes to the mix:)
Mon (almost back to normal) - Still keeping it light in case anyone else got sick, I made Aldi's Baked Chicken Patty Sandwiches with Lettuce and Dijonaise, Banana Nut Muffins (can't have too many potatoes and bananas after not eating for 2 days:)), Strawberries/Cherries/Grapes
Tues - Since I pulled out 2 different soup broths (turkey and duck) on Sunday to see if I could eat a broth - and they failed - I'm gonna make a Crockpot Turkey Breast with one of the broths for a base (they were too flavored for my stomach, but they should work great to flavor a turkey and make a gravy) - I'll add Stuffing and Cranberry Sauce and I'm gonna make a Fresh Nectarine Crumble (with Oatmeal Topping) for dessert
Wed - Turkey Pot Pie - with whatever broth I don't use tomorrow as a base and some fresh veg from Aldi's (TBD - going tomorrow), More Strawberries and Cherries
Thurs - Homemade Pasta Alfredo with Ricotta and Gorgonzola (I think I'll be ready for this then), Spring Pea Salad with Mint
Fri - Leftovers or Frozen Pizza, Smoothies
Sat - OUT (It's Movie Night at the Pool, so we're trying to plan around that)...

Just updating this post:)...Sat-Tues went as is, but I had more turkey left for Wednesday (and a kid who was sad we didn't have mashed potatoes Tuesday), so I did the leftover Turkey with Mashed Potatoes, a Fresh Onion and Portobello Green Bean Casserole (I use a whole container of baby portobellos and a large white onion, chopped and roasted off for 30-40 minutes in the oven, and combine with one can of soup and one can of green beans and a splash of soy and salt/pepper - I only add the fried onions to the top for the last 5 minutes and it's so good...it's about 1/3 green bean, 1/3 mushroom, and 1/3 onion), and Strawberries.

For Thursday, I decided I wanted a version of Eggplant Caponata (Eggplant, Onions, Peppers, More Mushrooms, Olives, Garlic, Canned Tomatoes, Some Dried Spices, and Balsamic)...and I made (for the 1st time) Lambwiches, which is Ground Lamb with Manwich sauce. It was a great combo and since lamb goes so well with eggplant and tomato, it was perfect. I also baked some fries for the kids.

For Friday, since I made enough Caponata for 2 days, but I had an afternoon dental appointment that took forever, I made a boxed 4 Cheese Risotto (Aldi's - 1st time trying) vs the planned homemade Alfredo and served the Caponata on Top...I also made some Aldi's Chicken Sandwiches and cut some fresh Strawberries (for anyone not eating the Caponata or the Chicken - people picked what they liked)...

So, I still have the cheeses to use up next week...my kids are now begging for my blender banana ricotta snack/dessert recipe, so maybe I'll do that if I can't come up with anything else (or if I skip it again)...

I'm not shopping til tomorrow, so I'll have a plan sometime after...

Here is my plan for the week.
Breakfast: Greek Yogurt and nuts or mini omelets (I decided to make the breakfast burritos next weekend since I made all that chicken today)
Lunch: Salads with chicken or tuna and a hardboiled egg or burrito bowls
Snack: Cottage cheese, hummus and veggies, cheese and meat roll ups, and granola bars

Dinner:
Sunday: Burrito bowls (rice, black beans, chicken, avocado, and corn salsa)
Monday: L/O
Tuesday: Asian salmon with noodles
Wednesday: Pizza (mushroom, onion, bell pepper, spinach, and pepperoni) and salad
Thursday: L/O
Friday: L/O

We ended up with DH's family over yesterday for a cookout but not too many leftovers other that one big pot of mac and cheese and stuff for one salad I didn't end up making. Ate into our grocery budget though so need to pare right back this week!

Sun- leftovers
Mon- chickpea romanesco
Tues- baked beet and ricotta salad, lentil balls
Wed- homemade pizzas
Thurs- oldest DD at a sleepover, easy beans on toast or leftovers
Fri- cauliflower and blue cheese soup and flatbreads
Sat- curry pies from freezer

Vietnamese noodle bowl
Pork fried rice, zucchini
BLT heavy on the T
Cowboy beans, cucumber and tomato salad
Potato soup, hamburger steaks
Mushroom ravioli and salad
Cream of some kind of vegetable soup, salad

Our garden is producing tons of cucumber, tomato, and zucchini so we might end up having those at every meal.

Menu Plan - Week of July 14th
Saturday - pulled pork wraps, corn
Sunday - grilled chicken, rice, zucchini/peppers
Monday - black bean burgers, sweet potato fries
Tuesday - pot roast
Wednesday - chicken blt wraps, corn on the cob
Thursday- hamburgers, baked beans, pasta salad
Friday - bbq chicken, baked potatoes, okra/tomatoes

Monday - Olive Garden for my birthday
Tuesday - BBQ pulled chicken, fries, corn
Wednesday - Shrimp fried rice, potstickers
Thursday - Ground turkey tacos, beans, rice
Friday - Sloppy Joes, onion rings
Saturday - Steak, baked potatoes, zucchini
Sunday - Green Chile Chicken enchiladas

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter