Eat, Pray, Love -- But Just the Eat Part: Italy 2023 Trip Report

:rotfl2:That's amazing. And exactly why a half a day in Florence isn't enough.
We had a really strange itinerary due to activities at the Vatican. We only a morning in Florence - about 3 hours - definitely not enough. I wasn't thrilled but it is just a reason to come back.

Glad you kept posting! I wanted to know what was the difference between the itineraries for Florence! We were just on the same tour but in December (Christmas to New Years) -- so we had 3 nights in Florence.
For me, the day trip to Florence in the heat was just too much. I think staying in the city so that there is a base for breaks and an opportunity to explore in the evenings like you described would work better if the goal was to see Florence. But I wouldn't want to cut the Tuscany time in the summer -- hence my vote to cut Florence. (ABD didn't send me a survey after the trip, so my vote carries absolutely no weight).
We had a really strange itinerary due to activities at the Vatican. We only a morning in Florence - about 3 hours - definitely not enough. I wasn't thrilled but it is just a reason to come back.
We're definitely interested in coming back to Florence at some point. Everything would seem new to me since I have no memory of what I saw on most of the tour.

Trip Report: ABD Day 6

July 9, 2023

ABD day 6: time for our final transfer of the trip. The logistics for this transfer were a little more complicated than the last one because we were saying goodbye to the coach and heading to Venice by train. That meant that anything we carried on the train would need to be toted around Venice until our afternoon hotel check-in. Along with my wallet, the passports, my camera, and my water bottle, I reluctantly agreed to carry P’s book so that he could read on the train. (Spoiler: he did not read on the train). Then, we put our suitcases in the hallway for pickup and brought our day packs downstairs with us while we ate our final meal in Tuscany.

After breakfast, the guides air dropped or emailed the train ticket information to each family. Then, we boarded the coach, which took us to Florence to catch our train. In Florence, we bid farewell to our driver, Massi, and our guides, Massi and Gabby, led us into the train station to wait for our train. This entails waiting until the track for your train is posted a few minutes before departure time and then scurrying to board before the train leaves. Tip: there was no restroom access after security at the train station and ABD enters via an entrance that takes you directly past security. There was, however, a restaurant, so I purchased a soda for P to carry on the train and added it to my already heavy pack.

When our track was announced, we boarded the train en masse and found our seats. They were already occupied. “Are you sure these are the right seats?” I asked D.

The American couple in our seats responded, “We’re in the wrong seats. Ours are too close to the bathroom. It smells over there, so we decided to sit here.” The couple looked at us expectantly. When it became clear that we weren’t going to give up our reserved seats, they gathered their things and moved to their own seats.

When we sat down, the first thing I noticed was that the seats were filthy, with pastry crumbs on the chairs and garbage stuffed in the seat back pocket. My first thought was, “Service on first class trains in Italy is not what I expected.” In hindsight, though, I’m willing to bet that the seats were clean before they were commandeered by our entitled friends.

The train trip from Florence to Venice is about 2 hours long. It’s not a very scenic ride. But we had boxed lunches provided by ABD and a snack service to pass the time. And P had my phone, which he played with instead of reading his book. Gabby and Massi also came by to suggest restaurants for dinner that evening and assist with reservations as needed.
360112495_10159791542057877_8026748901125043611_n.jpg

The drive to Venice from Tuscany is not much longer than the drive/train combo we employed. I suspect that we took the train because it creates a more dramatic arrival in Venice. As you exit the train station, you are greeted by the Grand Canal. It looks just like you’ve always imagined. But you’re really there.

We posed for photos and then took a short walk to the boarding spot for our gondola ride. As others in our group were boarding their boats, Gabby asked if we would be okay with some extra people in our gondola. Having read other reports about this trip, I had a strong suspicion about who the extra people would be and offered an enthusiastic yes. Shortly after we stepped into our gondola, my hunch was confirmed. We were joined by two Italian men, one of whom was carrying an accordion.
359401717_10159791541712877_9056722977576517028_n ok to use.jpg
As we paddled through the canals, D sang along with the musicians. He was apparently unbothered by the fact that he didn’t know the words to any of the songs and undeterred by the repeated smacks and invitations to shut up that P offered. (One common question that people ask about family travel is whether to wait until the kids are old enough to remember the trip. I suppose that’s a valid concern, but there is something to be said for travelling with kids before they are old enough to consider their parents a horrible embarrassment. Sadly, we are past that point with P). D and I had a wonderful time on the gondola. And P was also there.

We disembarked our gondolas somewhere in the winding maze of streets that is Venice. There, we were met by our local guide, who led us on a walking tour through the city. Venice receives about 4 million visitors a year, but no more than a handful venture to the area in Venice where our tour began. In fact, one of the few people we encountered was Marco Polo himself. He regaled us with stories from his travels, then sent us on our way. (Once again, D and I were delighted and P was too cool to participate, even when assigned the plum role of an elephant in Polo’s story. “You’ve seen wild elephants. You know what sound they make,” I coaxed, doing my own feeble impression. Only daggers from P. No elephant noises). As our tour progressed, the size of the crowds on the streets and in the squares gradually increased. This was our sign that we were approaching St. Mark’s Square.
359256026_10159791615962877_4211288214090136323_n.jpg

During the time we were in Venice, there were concerts scheduled in St. Mark’s Square. This meant that the square was full of scaffolding, sound equipment, and other things that were little more than eyesores to those of us without tickets. We headed right into St. Mark’s Basilica, which was not only decidedly not an eyesore, but also mercifully cool after our walk. Writing this now, more than 6 months after our trip, what I most remember about the Basilica is how excited D was to be somewhere so old. The building was first constructed in the 800s after two Venetian merchants stole St. Mark’s body from Egypt and brought it back to Venice to give the city a big attraction. Churches housing the body parts of dead saints were the Disney World of the Dark Ages. And people are still lining up to see St. Mark (or whomever the merchants stole) today.
358604931_10159791616677877_5808195855301169640_n.jpg

After our tour of St. Mark’s, we took a short boat ride across the grand canal to our hotel, the Hilton Molino Stucky. The Hilton sits on Giudeca, just across from the main island that everyone thinks of when they think of Venice. We were hot and sweaty and excited to go for a swim in the hotel pool. Unfortunately, we quickly learned that the pool requires reservations that must be made at 8 am the morning of your swim. I was a bit angry about this. Anyone who travels with kids knows that no matter where you take them in the world, they are most interested in the hotel swimming pool. If a hotel limits access to its pool, the website should be clear about that so parents can brace their children for the disappointment.

Instead of a swim, we had some sodas at the welcome reception and then went upstairs to enjoy the air conditioning in our room. The room did have a beautiful view of the Grand Canal. But you can’t swim in the Grand Canal, so it didn’t quite make up for the lack of pool.
358622086_10159791616492877_265302465625752715_n.jpg

Later that evening, we had an early bird dinner (by Italy standards) at the hotel restaurant and then went back upstairs for an early bedtime. If we hadn’t been so worn down by the heat, we probably would have ventured back across the canal for more exploring. Worn down as we were, we all agreed we had made the right choice. (My only regret is that I ordered the tiramisu for dessert instead of the sweet wine and cookies).

Last edited:
Enjoying your trip report and pics! So weird about the pool reservations though. I would have been ticked, too. Maybe ABD should proactively make reservations for the group or at least ask if anyone is interested in swimming.

ABD handling the luggage was particularly appreciated on this leg of the trip. They drive it separately so we didn't need to worry about baggage theft on the train.

I don't recall pool reservations at the Hilton when we went. The ABD guides should have warned the group.

Enjoying your trip report and pics! So weird about the pool reservations though. I would have been ticked, too. Maybe ABD should proactively make reservations for the group or at least ask if anyone is interested in swimming.

ABD handling the luggage was particularly appreciated on this leg of the trip. They drive it separately so we didn't need to worry about baggage theft on the train.

I don't recall pool reservations at the Hilton when we went. The ABD guides should have warned the group.
It would be great if ABD was proactive about the pool situation; it would have been a nice bit of magic to be able to go for a swim when we arrived at the hotel overheated and exhausted. But I put more of the blame on the Hilton for advertising an amenity that isn't really available to all guests.

It's interesting to know why the bags went by bus. It was definitely nice not to have to worry about luggage on the train.

I also realized that I forgot to mention the dress code for St. Mark's. This was another place where knees needed to be covered. But men and boys in our group who were wearing longer shorts got away with sagging them to cover their knees. (As you can see from the photos, my husband and son wore long pants. My son would have definitely preferred the sag your shorts option if we had known it was okay).

Last edited:
I wonder if you have to be already checked in to make a reservation for the pool. Otherwise it's really something I could see the Adventure Guides doing (asking the night before who would like reservations for the hotel pool on arrival, and trying to get them for you). You'd think ABD would have enough pull for that, but with the size of tourism in Venice, maybe not. That's really a shame, and I agree the hotel should make that clear. Not a good look for them.

The entitlement of some people when it comes to changing seats still amazes me. I guess they hoped you wouldn't show, or that you wouldn't mind sitting near the stinky bathroom that they didn't want. It's so frustrating having to deal with stuff like that. It's a big issue in some of the airline communities that I follow.

So cool you got the musicians on your gondola! :) And I love that D got so engaged with them. And that he loved how old St. Mark's was. I guess it's a balancing act between kids being too young or too old to travel with you like this. Sounds like you're doing it right.

Sayhello

Tip: there was no restroom access after security at the train station and ABD enters via an entrance that takes you directly past security.

In 2004, the only toilet in the Naples train station was a slot-in-the-floor Oriental toilet. Maybe it has been upgraded by now, but I would not be surprised if it was still there.

-Paul

The entitlement of some people when it comes to changing seats still amazes me. I guess they hoped you wouldn't show, or that you wouldn't mind sitting near the stinky bathroom that they didn't want. It's so frustrating having to deal with stuff like that. It's a big issue in some of the airline communities that I follow.

So cool you got the musicians on your gondola! :) And I love that D got so engaged with them. And that he loved how old St. Mark's was. I guess it's a balancing act between kids being too young or too old to travel with you like this. Sounds like you're doing it right.

Sayhello
The people who took our seats on the train are a puzzle to me. "We don't like the smell of sewage but surely you do," just doesn't seem like a winning message to me. But it seemed like they were hoping we would jump at the chance to sit closer to the restrooms.

My experience has been that there are tradeoffs involved in traveling with kids at every age. When P was younger, he would have been amused by the singing and storytelling and much more excited about the whole experience, but the walking would have exhausted him. Now, he's embarrassed by almost everything that D and I do and too cool for most things, but he's able to walk long distances without complaining. For that reason, I would say that there's no perfect time to take your kids anywhere. (But we did just tell our friends who were considering Italy that a group tour would be too much for their 6-year-old because the heat is just so punishing).
In 2004, the only toilet in the Naples train station was a slot-in-the-floor Oriental toilet. Maybe it has been upgraded by now, but I would not be surprised if it was still there.

-Paul
Interesting toilets are one of the great joys of travel (or one of the memorable bits, at least). I won't embarrass my family with details, but some of our funniest memories from our trip to Singapore and Malaysia involved interesting toilet setups. Sadly, there were no toilet memories to be made in the Florence train station.

Interesting toilets are one of the great joys of travel (or one of the memorable bits, at least)

If you are always on a guided tour, you never have these experiences and more importantly never LEARN the very important survival technique.

You can give a man a fish and he eats for a day or teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime!

-Paul

If you are always on a guided tour, you never have these experiences and more importantly never LEARN the very important survival technique.

You can give a man a fish and he eats for a day or teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime!

-Paul
I disagree-- we've had plenty of squatty potty and other experiences while traveling with groups (ABD, Tauck, and others)-- and of course also while on our own, or during pre or post trip times. I think the main thing is to travel in a way that you enjoy-- there is no right or wrong way, and I think it rather snobbish to pooh-poo group travel generally. My motto wherever we go and however we got there: I'm just happy to be there...

Last edited:
I assumed that Paul's post was a joke -- a little potty humor, if you will. But for those who don't want to miss out on unique bathroom experiences, it is good to know that you can still get some variety on a guided tour.

I promise that my next post will be on something other than bathrooms. Stay tuned for the last day in Venice and return trip to the US.

Oh, and I don't think that Paul was joking. Based on some of his other posts. (Given his apparent great dislike of group travel, not sure why he is on the ABD board. If Paul wants to deal with the headaches of travel - great, go for it Paul. But I should be given the same curtesy to travel as I like to. I'm being a respectful, model tourist.)

My family also has had some interesting discussions about bathrooms in Europe. I personally don't need a challenging bathroom to feel that I'm truly traveling/experiencing a culture. In fact, I'd rather avoid it. On our first trip, my girls didn't understand why I brought a number of travel packs of tissues with me (and always made sure I had a few packs in my purse) and hand sanitizer - and then they found out. They don't make fun of me any more.

Also, I will note that one of our favorite bathroom-related stories is the shower situation in the Rome ABD hotel - I continue to call it the circular shower of death - a round half circle porcelein tub, no hand rails, no anti-slip decals, hard to stand, in a clear glass box, open to the rest of the room. Getting in and out (and not getting your towel soaking wet while doing so) was a challenge. I was terrified that I would slip and crack my head open getting in and out. Let's just say - very clear that people don't sue in Italy the same way that the sue in the US.

Oh, and I don't think that Paul was joking. Based on some of his other posts. (Given his apparent great dislike of group travel, not sure why he is on the ABD board. If Paul wants to deal with the headaches of travel - great, go for it Paul. But I should be given the same curtesy to travel as I like to. I'm being a respectful, model tourist.)

My family also has had some interesting discussions about bathrooms in Europe. I personally don't need a challenging bathroom to feel that I'm truly traveling/experiencing a culture. In fact, I'd rather avoid it. On our first trip, my girls didn't understand why I brought a number of travel packs of tissues with me (and always made sure I had a few packs in my purse) and hand sanitizer - and then they found out. They don't make fun of me any more.

Also, I will note that one of our favorite bathroom-related stories is the shower situation in the Rome ABD hotel - I continue to call it the circular shower of death - a round half circle porcelein tub, no hand rails, no anti-slip decals, hard to stand, in a clear glass box, open to the rest of the room. Getting in and out (and not getting your towel soaking wet while doing so) was a challenge. I was terrified that I would slip and crack my head open getting in and out. Let's just say - very clear that people don't sue in Italy the same way that the sue in the US.
Same thoughts. We've dealt with all kinds of bathroom situations but it's nice sometimes not to. Our guides gave grades the toilet styles we would encounters and my youngest would announce to the whole group which style they were about to encounter ("It's a B plus!")

For the Rome hotel bathroom -- I've learned to pack painters tape with me (to tape as well as use as labels) -- we had to the tape the shade to the wall so our three boys would erupt into fighting or ban each oether from the room when they were in the shower!

I am quite sure that Paul was not joking. His sense of superiority when it comes to his style of traveling is well documented on this board. I'm also puzzled why he posts here, but oh well!

I have a very clear bathroom memory of my China trip, where I, @CaliforniaGirl09 and some others really needed to use the bathroom when we arrived at our first lesson in the Hutong, and were taken to the local *communal* bathroom! Open stalls with walls only like 2 or 3 feet tall and no doors! When you gotta go, you gotta go! Those neighbors must know each other *really* well! :oops:

Sayhello

Open stalls with walls only like 2 or 3 feet tall and no doors!
Did it have a communal trough running under all the doors? See your neighbors, and see what they did! The one we used in China set the lower threshold for bathrooms for us. LOL

I have a great pic of dd1 giving the "5 Star Bathroom" sign at one stop some serious side eye.

I am quite sure that Paul was not joking. His sense of superiority when it comes to his style of traveling is well documented on this board. I'm also puzzled why he posts here, but oh well!

I have a very clear bathroom memory of my China trip, where I, @CaliforniaGirl09 and some others really needed to use the bathroom when we arrived at our first lesson in the Hutong, and were taken to the local *communal* bathroom! Open stalls with walls only like 2 or 3 feet tall and no doors! When you gotta go, you gotta go! Those neighbors must know each other *really* well! :oops:

Sayhello
I remember that well, LOL. That was definitely an experience. When in Rome!

Did it have a communal trough running under all the doors? See your neighbors, and see what they did! The one we used in China set the lower threshold for bathrooms for us. LOL

I have a great pic of dd1 giving the "5 Star Bathroom" sign at one stop some serious side eye.
No, it wasn't quite *that* communal!! :oops: And we seriously questioned some of those ratings, too!
I remember that well, LOL. That was definitely an experience. When in Rome!
Exactly!! 🙂

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter