ECV's in the rain?

dmdj232

Mouseketeer
We are looking to rent an ECV for the first time this trip. We are looking at the Revo 2.0 Model. What does everyone do in the summer when it rains everyday in WDW? We called the rental company and they told us the ECV can not be in the rain. TIA!!!

We are looking to rent an ECV for the first time this trip. We are looking at the Revo 2.0 Model. What does everyone do in the summer when it rains everyday in WDW? We called the rental company and they told us the ECV can not be in the rain. TIA!!!
The main issue is the electronics, especially in the tiller. You can bring a plastic bag or even a plastic shower cap to cover the tiller quickly while still operating the vehicle. Also avoid any areas with standing water after a rain. Most ECVs have a low clearance and I have walked through standing water more than ankle deep in some areas of the parks.

The biggest issue in my opinion is having to park the ECV outside a restaurant or attraction where you cannot quickly get it out of the rain. You can ask if they rent rain covers along with the ECV, which is like a poncho for the scooter. Definitely leave it parked with the tiller covered, and have a towel or washcloth to dry it if necessary (the dry towels can also make sitting on the seat more comfortable in the heat).

Download a reliable weather app and use it to track any potential storms on radar. I use Accuweather most of the time, but all of our local network affiliates (WESH, WFTV, WKMG, WOFL) also have good weather apps. Go indoors if you see a storm is coming (we do this whether using an ECV or not, due to lightning).

We have only used the Disney owned in park rentals, and when I specifically asked them about rain, they said it was not a problem for their models. I still covered the tiller with a bag, just in case.

You might try going to the manufacturer’s website to see if they have the owner’s manual available for download. That would be the best source of info for a particular model.

Maybe check with another rental company?

Just my opinion, but anyone I ever rented from before I got my own mobility devices, had no problems with rain; most of the vendors provide a shower cap type cover for the tiller, tell you to fold down the seat back when you park to help keep the seat cushion dry, and send you on your way.

It’s Florida - it’s going to rain at some point. Renting out a scooter than can’t get wet in Florida is not exactly the best business model… 😉

Download a reliable weather app and use it to track any potential storms on radar
We were caught in a typical FL afternoon torrential rain. Everyone was looking at their phones. Chance of rain 0%, every app. 10 minutes later the apps were updated to 100%.

PP are right. Cover the tiller with a shower cap or plastic bag from a store.

I don't know for sure on the Revo model, but rent a Victory or Maxima model from Gold and they will tell you to cover the tiller with a shower cap which they provide. If you need additional shower caps, just ask your hotel front desk for some.

Now obviously don't go through super deep water, which can happen at Disney during massive storms, but some rain shouldn't be an issue.

We were caught in a typical FL afternoon torrential rain. Everyone was looking at their phones. Chance of rain 0%, every app. 10 minutes later the apps were updated to 100%.

PP are right. Cover the tiller with a shower cap or plastic bag from a store.
I check the radar, not the forecast. It’s not 100%, but it’s more reliable. When it comes to the seabreeze collision storms, those can appear more quickly than the forecast can be updated.

Sorry you were caught by one of our storms.

The problem I found with weather apps (at least the ones I go to) are that at Disney it can say that no rain is predicted an hour before it starts pouring. Then, suddenly the app changes its mind and decides "Oh, yes, it's going to pour this afternoon". I got caught in a major downpour at Animal Kingdom with a scooter that wasn't supposed to be in the rain. But I found that as long as I used the precautions of covering the tiller (and driving with my hands underneath, going around the huge puddle at the AK entrance while others were taking off their shoes and wading through that when I got back to OKW, although I was soaked through to the skin, my scooter never died.

I check the radar, not the forecast. It’s not 100%, but it’s more reliable. When it comes to the seabreeze collision storms, those can appear more quickly than the forecast can be updated.

Sorry you were caught by one of our storms.
I agree - the radar is real-time information; I found an app that works on both my iPhone & my Apple Watch, so I can literally raise my wrist and see the radar if I want. Bonus extra: it also works in CarPlay, so we have live radar while we are driving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter