Effective 2/25/2018, you need at least 75 direct points to qualify for Membership Extras

So, guide called me back and no june akv... asked if I wanted to wait list.. I haven't called back yet, and I am not sure I am going to worry about it... per Bills post I am not sure it would be that beneficial for us.... I will totally survive not having the perks.. although would be nice they do come at a cost and now raising to 75.. not worth it at least to me.
I think it’s worth the 25 points to hedge against future perks.

Let me give you two possible examples:

1. Allowing DVC members (with qualifying points) an extra FP per person per day.

2. Allowing DVC members to book their FPs at 90 days (just like the paid concierge users can now do).

It seems that DVC is going to continue to use perks to drive sales. I would hedge 25 points that one of those future perks might be something you’d really want to have.

Here's an interesting thing... especially with the talk of tiers. 25 points loaded this afternoon, I immediately go in to order our BLUE membership card. Both our cards say "member since 2012". Huh? We bought our resale contract in November 2017 and direct in 2018. Oh well, no clue what it means but I made sure to save it and order them.

Here's an interesting thing... especially with the talk of tiers. 25 points loaded this afternoon, I immediately go in to order our BLUE membership card. Both our cards say "member since 2012". Huh? We bought our resale contract in November 2017 and direct in 2018. Oh well, no clue what it means but I made sure to save it and order them.

I think there's something glitchy with the cards. When I got access to my resale in January, it showed up as a blue card and had what seemed like the original owners' join date. I was even able to order a blue card, which came in the mail. The online card switched to the correct white card a couple days later.

My online cards all have the original owners date as well. I also always wondered about why they had the original owners dates on them. My physical blue card has the correct date, but not the online one.

Last edited:
Our digital card still shows the original date as well but the physical card has the correct date.

My online cards all have the original owners date as well. I also always wondered about why they had the original owners dates on them as well. My physical blue card has the correct date, but not the online one.
Guess I'll see what happens when they come in the mail! Either way, we got our blue.

OK - dear Wife and I have 270 "direct from disney" points.

Now - for the benefit of NEW buyers..... would someone list these wonderful "extras", so that people can compare Direct from Disney, vs resale?
What, exactly, does that 2x cost GET you?

In the past 1.5 yrs

2 years of APs x4 (last ones upgraded for free from Gold to PAP)

Dec 2016 EPCOT DVC Christmas Party

May 2017 Pandora Sneak Preview.

Sept 2017 AK Moonlight Magic.

2017 TiW card.

EPCOT lounge.

I think it’s very worth it.

In May, my DD and I took a 3 night trip and on successive days : Last Wishes at MK, first HEA at MK, DVC preview at AK.

It was an amazing trip.

1. Allowing DVC members (with qualifying points) an extra FP per person per day.

2. Allowing DVC members to book their FPs at 90 days (just like the paid concierge users can now do).

It seems that DVC is going to continue to use perks to drive sales. I would hedge 25 points that one of those future perks might be something you’d really want to have.

In 2015-2016, we took 3 trips to WDW in 11 months, spending a total of 23-24 days at WDW. 2/3 of those trips were subsidized due to work conferences for me and DH, DD1 was not in school yet, and DD2 was either in utero or little baby, so free and easy. We contemplated buying DVC "at some point" in the future but knew almost nothing about resale or the points system, though I grew up with my parents owning different timeshares (RCI, etc) since the 80s so knew generally how they worked. Since we knew we were taking at least 2 trips in less than a year, we got APs - and this was back before the different tiered APs and its concomitant price increase. We got TiW through the APs as well as the 10% AP discounts in the stores etc.

A lot of us are getting all worked up about the perks but ... with a PAP you could get access to the discounts and TiW at a far smaller annual outlay. If you go yearly but plan the trips to be 11 months and then 13 months out from each other, you can spread the cost out pretty well without having the big buy in to DVC. Moonlight Magic and other special events are not in our future for a while - now that DD1 is in school, we a) are unlikely to be going on a planned trip unless maybe a late August/early Sept trip happens to coincide with those events, and b) can't plan a last minute, short trip if we see these offered. And again, just because they're offering more this year doesn't mean they'll do the same next year. So (shrug) can't count on those even if you love them.

Even access to the member cruise, which I cited earlier as one of the perks I value, I wouldn't really value except that we went on our first Disney cruise last summer. And again, it would be a nice thing to try at least once, but if I got blocked, ... oh well.

Extra FP or early FP? I don't know ... it seems somewhat speculative, but already we are approaching the parks in a different way - more relaxed and if we miss something on this trip, we'll get to it another time. Also, Disney will continue to sell those VIP and private tours where you get whisked into the FP line, etc. Again, even if it's a few thousand $, that's still less of an outlay than buying 75 or more points direct.

Sure, the perks are nice and knowing I'd have access to them is nice, but it's like the PAP+ deal for the price of gold - I was all like, "it includes water parks!" We were there for 6 days in August and never even contemplated going to the water parks.

Just bought a 50 pt direct purchase for AKV last week. We only plan on going every few years and also own Wyndham. I tried to talk my DH into rescinding to buy resale and buy 25 point direct. For once I’m glad he didn’t listen to me. :love2:

good point! If akv doesn't come up then what?

At the same time, DVC is a whole lot of money to then be treated like a second class citizen.

It’s a club. But. It’s an even BETTER club if you know the secret handshake.

That would burn at me enough to offset making it feel like a good deal.

So this is pretty much how I am feeling and unable to articulate. Timing hasn’t exactly been on our side. (Resale contract back in August fell through and we finally found a contract that is currently in ROFR. Sent to Disney on Feb. 2) Our plan was to add 25 points as soon as we closed.

So we are now in a position that has us trying to decide if we should Add 50 points direct now. (Without even knowing if we are passing ROFR. Which I know Disney probably won’t even have direct points available at the resort or UY that we would want.)

75 points is out of the question as the resale contract we are tying to purchase is higher than the original contract.

We have ultimately decided to just forget about the direct points and move on. But man my irrational side thinks “I want to be a part of the cool club with a blue card and know the secret handshake! Haven’t I been good to you, Disney?!” :rotfl::confused3

Oh, and if this contract gets taken from us... I think it might be a sign that DVC wasn’t meant to be for us. Okay, enough of my rambling. Thanks for the vent sesh. Lol

Sooooo.... should I consider 25 points at another resort..or just forget it!! I just can't decide.. part of me doesnt want to miss out like Ziravan says.... and wish I had gotten in the "CLUB" when I could... the other is just not sure especially if I can't get AKV since that is what I own now.

Sooooo.... should I consider 25 points at another resort..or just forget it!! I just can't decide.. part of me doesnt want to miss out like Ziravan says.... and wish I had gotten in the "CLUB" when I could... the other is just not sure especially if I can't get AKV since that is what I own now.

If you can't find points at your current home resort (sounds like AKV), just buy SSR in your UY since you can't combine the points until the 7-month window anyway. Might as well just buy the one with cheapest overall cost (at the moment at least).

LAX

If you can't find points at your current home resort (sounds like AKV), just buy SSR in your UY since you can't combine the points until the 7-month window anyway. Might as well just buy the one with cheapest overall cost (at the moment at least).

LAX
OK... I will call tomorrow and see whats up.. I am a little frustrated, I asked the guide to do that already, tell me what else is available and he did not do that.... just left message akv wasn't.... thanks!

But man my irrational side thinks “I want to be a part of the cool club with a blue card and know the secret handshake! Haven’t I been good to you, Disney?!”

This is a big part of the DVC marketing. They do a good job at it, making you feel like you got less pixie dust sprinkled if you bought resale. You still get plenty with resale. My favorites are the magnets and access to TOTWL. I am also assuming that you will get access to the Riviera rooftop restaurant when it opens, as they will need the customer base to keep it running.

Do people who bought resale prior to the "25 points minimum direct" rule coming in still covered for the benefits? Or only those who bought 25 points direct?

Do people who bought resale prior to the "25 points minimum direct" rule coming in still covered for the benefits? Or only those who bought 25 points direct?

Anybody already with blue membership is currently grandfathered in. This only affects people going forward starting on 2/25

We have ultimately decided to just forget about the direct points and move on. But man my irrational side thinks “I want to be a part of the cool club with a blue card and know the secret handshake! Haven’t I been good to you, Disney?!” :rotfl::confused3

You'll still be in the cool club. The cool "I save a whole bunch of money on my vacation" club.

Anybody already with blue membership is currently grandfathered in. This only affects people going forward starting on 2/25
OK thanks - I have a blue membership card, is that what you mean? We bought in 2014 I think (resale)

My blue card says "Since 2012". We bought in 2014, the original owner that we purchased from bought in 2009 - so I think those dates mean nothing at all. All they look at is the color of the card. (The other problem we're having is the writing is wearing off of my card...I put tape over it to try and preserve it.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter