electric scooter/wheelchairs - I need 411

2ndxmommy

Mouseketeer
if you saw my post on Dining, this is also for my friend diagnosed as terminal visiting on compassion tickets.

They called guest relations and were told that WDW theme parks only have scooters within the parks (first come, first serve, no reservations) and they can't be taken outside the gates or accomodate them with gate pickup (what?).

Guest relations did give us the names/numbers of several medical supply stores that would rent these. We are all pretty sure that insurance will cover non of this.

We also think it might be wise to have one delivered to the resort (off Disney property) for use there as well and just break down/reassemble into the trunk of a mid-size car (scooter is about $200/wk and a van with lift even more). I am getting them a discount on a rental car so that helps with expenses.

Any experience with these? Discounts? Connections with Disney or scooter rentals within the park (better info from 1sthand experience)? Rates within park? If you park hop, it is like stroller rental - show the receipt and rent again in different park?

TIA

First of all, welcome to disABILITIES

Click where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page. It will take you to the index. The 4th item down is "disABILTIES FAQ". This will give plenty of answers and we don't have to type so often. Once you have read it, then you should ask specific questions that are not covered.

Thank you. Duh, I forgot the check the stickies. I'm in panic mode, bc my friends leave next week and everything has had to be moved up rather last minute. Thank you, this is great info. :goodvibes

I have a knee condition, and I rent an ECV while on vacation at WDW. I would definitely rent an ECV from an off site supplier. I have rented from Walker Mobility for the past two years & have been pleased each time.

I started using an ECV at WDW by renting one at each Disney park. I rented from Disney for about four trips & learned over time that renting from Disney presented a few "issues:"

*no guarantee the park will have an ECV regardless of time of day; I was at EPCOT Mother's Day 2002 a half hour after the park opened & no ECVs available at either entrance; another time I entered the Studios in the early afternoon on a week day in early December & no ECVs available;

*if you want to park hop there is no guarantee of an ECV at the second park;

*four wheels on a Disney ECV vs. three on off site one (at least the ones I have rented from Walker); three wheels gave me a better turning radius;

*battery holds up a whole lot better on the rented ECV vs. the Disney one; I can tell you where in each of the four parks where my Disney ECV "died;"

*if you rent an ECV you will have it every where you want it - the parks, Downtown Disney, other resorts, etc.

As I mentioned I have rented from Walker Mobility. My experiences have been very good. The ECV has been delivered in a timely manner; the battery has lasted all day & night; the cost is similar to Disney, & I have the ECV more than just in the parks; etc. Walker provides a battery charger that I use at night.

As for using an ECV - go for it! Your friend has a need, & the ECV will make the trip more enjoyable for everyone.

We stay on WDW property, & it is very easy to maneuver the ECV around the resort. I don't know if you need to let your hotel/resort know ahead of time that you will need a ground floor room or be sure there is an elevator available.

how do you secure the chair if you want to go on rides. I don't know if my friend will be partaking of these, but how do you exercise that option? Do you somehow SECURE/LOCK the chair from it being stolen?

You just remove the key from the ECV. If you leave your ECV in a stroller area, a CM might put it in "freewheel" so it can be pushed when straightening up the stroller area.

I have never heard of an ECV being stolen at the parks if the key had been removed. The only thing I could visualize is if someone did not turn in their Park rental ECV and held onto the key and name card and then grabbed another. In that event you could show that you still had your key and that day's receipt and they would bring you another one.

Actually ECV's are not stolen in Disney parks mainly because you'd have a heck of a time getting them out of the gate. :) Rentals are generally $30 a day, plus $10 deposit for bringing the ECV back to the rental place and giving them the key. If you park hop, there is no guarantee they will have one when you get there. Honestly, it's much better to rent from an outside source, as you get to use it all the time. If the person is going to have trouble walking any distance, I would consider that a must. On Disney property, all the busses are fitted for the ECV's, so getting around in that respect is not that hard. See some other threads on that.

As far as rides, not many rides take an ECV on board. They usually either will transfer you into a wheelchair or you will need to actually be able to get off of the ECV and get on the ride. Small World for instance has a boat with a wheelchair mount, Universe of Energy has special wheelchair setups built in. The CM's are extremely nice about helping out on what to do so you aren't confused. Many of the shows will have separate lines for ECV's and wheelchairs. Also be sure to ask where the wheelchair viewing areas are, so the person can get a good view for the parades and fireworks.

While an ECV won't be stolen, there are times when CM will move them to reorganize them with the strollers. You just need to ask where yours is and they can assist you if you can't take it on the ride or show.

Another benefit of an ECV from outside is that you can get a bit of practice in on driving the thing. They aren't as easy they look and Disney often has some confangled way of having to load busses or other ride or ramp setups. One of the ones that sticks in my mind is Cranium Command which has very narrow pillars to maneuver into which can be a bit sticky if you aren't used to it. The elevator down to the first floor of the Land pavillion is a fun spot as well. Also they aren't the easiest to drive into the room if the room is not made for it. I would suggest giving the hotel a head's up that you need a wheelchair accessible room, which usually has a layout that is much better for that purpose. You do have to charge them nightly. During the day, if it's an indoor hotel, you can tell security that you will be leaving it outside your room until the night comes. They may grumble, but be insistant, because I can tell you, that it's a pain to get them in there, at least for me it was. Course I went solo, so having extra people might make it easier. If it's an outdoor hotel (that's not Disney), I would talk to the rental place about their policy concerning that.

Have a cellphone with them. In case, the thing dies, you don't want to have to go looking for a phone. The outside vendor will come and get you a charged ECV to replace yours if you are stuck. If you are really stuck, Disney can also tow you with one of their ECV's. Last time I got a bucking bronco.

Also one should be warned to be extremely careful about getting off of an outside rented scooter. Unlike Disney's which have the handle far from the seat and I think are pressure sensitive to move, most of them aren't. I got thrown literally the first time I used one, because I wasn't aware that they would move if I was up from the seat (stupid thing didn't have a tag). ALWAYS turn the key off before getting up.

You said they'd have a car, but for any reason and if anyone else wants to know, Mears has 3 wheelchair vans that are very helpful in getting an ECV person to their location. They do take a bit of time to get though (about 30-40 minutes on average).

ShadowWind said:
Also they aren't the easiest to drive into the room if the room is not made for it. I would suggest giving the hotel a head's up that you need a wheelchair accessible room, which usually has a layout that is much better for that purpose. You do have to charge them nightly. During the day, if it's an indoor hotel, you can tell security that you will be leaving it outside your room until the night comes. They may grumble, but be insistant, because I can tell you, that it's a pain to get them in there, at least for me it was.
Several problems with this particular statement.

One is do not ask for an accessible room unless you really need it. Most accessible rooms are designed for people who are in wheelchairs pretty much full time while those of us with mobility/stamina problems do not need such things as roll-in showers, etc.

I never had any problem in any Disney hotel with an ECV. To get in I would pull straight up to the door, unlock it and push it forward. Then start the ECV and use one arm to keep the door open. To get out I would pull up to the door, grab the handle and back up; then using an arm to hold the door pull forward.

Another option is to put the ECV in freewheel to get it into or out of the room, Also that is useful for maneuvering in the room if you feel you can not give it the fine control needed.

BTW, I have always been able to find a parking space in the room, whether I was staying at the All-Stars (with smallest rooms) or Contemporary (which has the largest).

Cheshire Figment said:
Several problems with this particular statement.

One is do not ask for an accessible room unless you really need it. Most accessible rooms are designed for people who are in wheelchairs pretty much full time while those of us with mobility/stamina problems do not need such things as roll-in showers, etc.

Your statement about ECV usage seems based on your mobility problems than everyone's. Not all people that use an ECV have the same type of illness or muscle problems, nor is it just a matter of stamina. I have neuropathy, which is quite painful no matter how much the muscle is used, and very weakening. I can move about without the ECV or wheelchair to some extent, but it's painful at best. My point in that statement, though I will agree I phrased it badly, is to make Disney aware of your health issues, so they can assign you a room that will be of most comfort to you. I perhaps shouldn't have said wheelchair accessible rooms, but my point was that they can help you with a room that might be a bit more roomy to get it in there with less problems and certainly can give you a first floor room. Thanks to my telling them that at Port Orleans, I stayed in a great room in the mansion section that had plenty of room for the ECV because it had a single King Size bed. It did not have a roll-in shower. In fact, I've never stayed in a room there that had one, despite the fact I tell them about the ECV. They did, however, try to put me in one at Pop Century, but I called up to have the room switched. I need to soak my muscles in a bathtub, but they were concerned that I wouldn't be able to get out of the bathtub myself. I assured them though it was painful, it was possible and actually required. They worked it out very happily. I do not want to take a room from someone who would need the roll-in shower (especially since I don't want it), but I'd like to be as comfortable as possible during my stay.

I didn't need an ECV at the time I stayed at All-Stars, so I don't know how they were, but Pop Century seemed quite hard to get it in. I know about leaning forward, opening the latch on the door and then letting the ECV push the door open, but in Pop Century, there was not room to push the thing forward enough to get the door closed. The first night I stayed there, I had to take it over to the Disney storage place for luggage and they charged it there and brought me back to my room with their cart. The second night, I asked a CM who was working on some plants nearby if he could help to move the table. That left enough room to get it in there. My muscles are such that such maneuvers are a struggle (and pushing the ECV is pretty much out of the question enough to get it situated), so I had trouble getting it in there. I'm glad you didn't. Would love to know how you got the ECV turned around in the room that small to be able to pull it out forward with the table and all there. Maybe it's the size of the scooter. These were pretty big, even by scooter standards.

I can't bring my wheelchair with me when I travel due to transportation issues, so I rent an ECV, it's not a perfect solution, but it works better than not being able to leave the room. I can only share my experience with it, not yours, which is what I did. Sorry it did not correspond with yours.

I didn't read everybody else's responses (sorry :confused3 ) but wanted to let you know my DH's experiences.
We rented from Walker Mobility (number on FAQ page). They had the scooter waiting at the hotel when we checked in and then left it there when we checked out (checked luggage area). We stayed at ASMo and my husband didn't have any trouble getting it in. We usually just proped the door open then he backed it in and plugged it in for the night. It was wonderful because the trips from the room to the bus stops can get quite long. There was never any problem. He now has his own personal ECV but if we needed it I would rent from Walker again. The entire experience was wonderful and so easy. :cool1: :cool1:

Also I wanted to let you know that the HC rooms are available for anyone that requires them not just people in wheelchairs. We have requested one for this trip because even though my DH can stand and walk, he can't lift his legs up and over the edge of the tub. WDW has the rooms for a reason. If you need it - request it.

I hope you have a wonderful trip. :flower:

On the handicapped rooms you need to be aware that at some of the resorts there are 2 levels. One will have a roll-in-shower and the other a tub with ample grab bars and not just the single one across the back wall. You need to be specific about your needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter