Epcot Transformation - An Overview

Gusey

DIS Veteran
As the Epcot Transformation is nearly complete, I thought I'd share the overall timeline for everything that was announced and opened since the transformation was announced at Destination D on November 19, 2016. So, was it worth it?: BLUE=Attraction Update, ORANGE=Dining Update, PURPLE=Entertainment Update, GREEN=Aesthetics/Shops Update, RED=Cancelled Project
  • November 19, 2016 – Bob Chapek officially announced major changes would be coming to Epcot in the future at the Destination D23 Expo
  • July 15, 2017 – D23 Expo announces Space 220, Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure, Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind, Mission Space: Green Mission & Disney Skyliner + preview of future world overhaul
  • August 13, 2017 - Mission Space: Green Mission (Earth film) opens, Ellen’s Energy Adventure closes
  • November 13, 2017 – Choza de Margarita opens in Mexico
  • February 3, 2018 – Circle of Life: An Environmental Fable closes in The Land
  • February 21, 2019 – Play pavilion and New Park Entrance announced
  • May 15, 2019 – Takumi-Tei announced
  • June 27, 2019 – Regal Eagle Smokehouse announced
  • July 5, 2019 – Takumi-Tei opens in Japan
  • July 8, 2019 – Liberty Inn closes
  • August 1, 2019 – O Canada! Closes
  • August 6, 2019 – Leave A Legacy monoliths removed
  • August 25, 2019 – D23 Expo announces Epcot’s new neighborhoods (World Discovery, World Celebration, World Nature & World Showcase), Harmonious, a Mary Poppin’s themed attraction, Beauty and the Beast Sing-along, Canada Far and Wide, Wondrous China, Spaceship Earth reimagining, New Festival Centre, Dreamer’s Point, Journey of Water Inspired by Moana, Awesome Planet & Epcot Experience Preview Centre
  • September 8, 2019 – Innoventions and Epcot Character Spot closes
  • September 29, 2019 – Disney Skyliner opens
  • October 1, 2019 – Epcot Experience opens, Epcot Forever debuts replacing Illuminations: Reflections of Earth
  • December 3, 2019 – DuckTales World Showcase Adventure announced
  • December 21, 2019 – First Half of New Entrance Plaza opens
  • January 4, 2020 – Mouse Gear closes
  • January 5, 2020 – Mouse Gear temporary store opens
  • January 17, 2020 – Beauty and the Beast Sing-Along, Canada: Far and Wide & Awesome Planet debut
  • February 16, 2020 – Electric Umbrella and Agent P’s World Showcase Adventure closes
  • February 19, 2020 – Regal Eagle Smokehouse opens in American Adventure
  • March 16, 2020 – Disney Parks closes
  • July 15, 2020 – Epcot reopens, Mary Poppins attraction and Spaceship Earth re-imagining removed from Epcot Experience
  • December 22, 2020 – Entrance Plaza project completed with new fountain
  • February 9, 2021 – New Outside Leave a Legacy display opens
  • April 9, 2021 – Creations Shop & new Club Cool announced
  • May 6, 2021 – Gelateria Toscana opens in Italy
  • July 1, 2021 – Epcot Forever resumes
  • September 14, 2021 – Mouse Gear temporary store closes
  • September 15, 2021 – Creations Shop & Club Cool opens
  • September 20, 2021 – Space 220 opens
  • September 29, 2021 – Harmonious replaces Epcot Forever
  • October 1, 2021 – Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure & La Crêperie de Paris opens, new Neighbourhoods debut
  • November 20, 2021 – Connections Café & Eatery announced
  • March 14, 2022 – Epcot Experience closes
  • April 27, 2022 – Connections Café & Eatery opens
  • May 5, 2022 – ComuniCore Hall & Plaza announced in place of Festival Centre
  • May 27, 2022 – Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind opens
  • September 9, 2022 – New nighttime show announced for Epcot, Figment meet and greet coming in 2023
  • December 16, 2022 – DuckTales World Showcase Adventure debuts
  • January 13, 2023 – Epcot maps remove mentions of Play Pavilion, believed officially cancelled after several years without public updates
  • April 3, 2023 – Epcot Forever replaces Harmonious
  • May 9, 2023 – Shiki-Sai announced
  • August 30, 2023 – Shiki-Sai opens
  • October 16, 2023 - Journey of Water Inspired by Moana opens
  • September 10, 2023 - Figment meet and greet opens
  • December 5, 2023 - Luminous: The Symphony of Us debuts; World Celebration Gardens opens
  • June 10, 2024 - Communicore Hall & Plaza opens

Last edited:
Very informative list, thanks!

One comment (not about your research, but Disney's plans):
  • July 15, 2017 – D23 Expo announces Space 220, Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure, Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind, Mission Space: Green Mission & Disney Skyliner + preview of future world overhaul
  • August 13, 2017 - Mission Space: Green opens, Ellen’s Energy Adventure closes
They may have made some changes to Mission Space: Green, but it didn't just come into being in 2017. I went on that side in 2007.

It’s kinda sad that I’ve been going to Epcot for over 30 years, and in that time they‘ve added one ride, net.

It’s kinda sad that I’ve been going to Epcot for over 30 years, and in that time they‘ve added one ride, net.
Yeah, but don't think of it as net numbers of rides. Think about how much better some of the newer rides are compared to what they replaced. At least that is what I do

Was the chopping up of Future World, loss of Fountain of Nations and Innoventions light-up sidewalks, and maze of construction walls for over five years worth it for what's, at best, a lateral move?

IMHO, nope.

ETA I love Cosmic Rewind but you could have replaced Ellen's Energy Adventure with that outside of the whole Future World "reimagining."

Yeah, but don't think of it as net numbers of rides. Think about how much better some of the newer rides are compared to what they replaced. At least that is what I do
Am I the only one who loved the Horizons ride and the original Figment ride? Epcot needs a good dark ride that the whole family can enjoy (I don't like the new figment one)

Very informative list, thanks!

One comment (not about your research, but Disney's plans):

They may have made some changes to Mission Space: Green, but it didn't just come into being in 2017. I went on that side in 2007.
In 2017, Mission Space Green became its own separate attraction with its own mission (to Earth instead of Mars)

They may be better but most of them are also shorter.
I think every ride on earth is shorter than that pinnacle of incarcertainment that was the original Universe of Energy! Personally, I would rather have shorter rides and attractions that are actually fun than long ones that cure insomnia

I'd like the Play Pavillion (or something in its place) to go there.

I wish they had added a country.

Remy was a good addition, as was GOTG. Not sure why they bothered with the rest of it... The park still needs major work - the Pixar Short Film Festival seems like something better could be there, Living on the Land needs an upgrade in some way, the Figment ride is a dumpster fire. The park still needs a huge amount of work - especially given the admission cost.

In 2017, Mission Space Green became its own separate attraction with its own mission (to Earth instead of Mars)
By "separate" do you mean a different building? Or same infrastructure, just different video?

By "separate" do you mean a different building? Or same infrastructure, just different video?
Same infrastructure, but pre 2017, green was the Mars video without spinning. 2017, they added the Earth film to further differentiate it from the Orange Mars Mission that is the original spinning attraction

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter