grarsh

Mouseketeer
Starting Weight: 324.2lbs

Current Weight: 324.2lbs

Sunday Check-In: N/A

Days to Disney: 94 Days

quote.jpg

Howdy all!

Marshall here! I’m a 33 y/o guy from New Hampshire. I’m an administrator at a university, and I’m also taking the summer to finish up my dissertation for my doctoral program. This last year has been a little rough on the personal side of things, and there’s nothing I love more than some good ol’ fashioned emotional eating. I’m at the point now where I just don’t feel very good and am completely out of shape. I also have high blood pressure and am on two blood pressure medications, and I would really love to eliminate the need for those. I really feel like I’m starting from scratch in terms of exercise and eating right, and since everyone sings the praises of journaling, I thought I’d give it a try. Ultimately I’d love to lose a whole bunch of weight, but I thought a reasonable first goal would be to lose 15 lbs by the time of my next Disney trip (3 months away).

Today is all about making a plan, and tomorrow morning it gets put into action. In terms of exercise, I’m going to start with the Couch to 5k program since I’m starting from no exercise. I lose seriously will power to exercise throughout the day, so it is going to need to be in the morning. I also have a lot of time in the morning that I usually waste. I’m up at 5am with the dog. We do a morning walk, and then I basically have another 2.5 hours before I have to leave for work. This is now designated exercise time (for part of it, not the entire 2.5 hours, that would be craziness).

The really hard part for me is the whole “healthy eating” thing…especially the sweets/desserts. I’m talking like full fledged sugar loaded frosting-y yumminess. I also don’t want to follow a specific food plan or diet. I’d really like to have an overall adjustment in my eating that I can live with. I’m going to take some time to figure out what that is, but for now the big points will be eliminating soda, drinking more water, eliminating fast food, and ensuring a vegetable or fruit is present at every meal. I want to do more, but I feel like these are good first steps for this week.

So that’s the start! I’m committing to daily updates and want this journal to be a solid method of accountability and a way to share thoughts/feelings throughout this “journey.”

Also, as a starting point, one of my least favorite pictures from my last Disney trip (January 2015). Would LOVE to retake this a year from now.

10959456_939365342742731_3210331854281949252_n.jpg

Wishing you the very best on your escape! It sounds like you have a great and sensible approach!!

Monday - 6/15/2015

Work Out: 30 minutes of walking/jogging. Week 1 Day 1 of C25K

So, this morning was super, super rainy. BUT...still went outside for day one of working out. I live near a middle school that has a really fabulous track and athletic fields that are open to the community during non-school times, so despite the rain, I still went out and did my thing...albeit soggily. I just really didn't want to delay the first day because I know that if I start giving in to excuses I'll be ok giving in all the time. I'm also really good at "productive procrastination" where I can find a million other tasks that need to be done and will do them instead of working out.

But not today. Today I did 30 minutes, which was the first day of Couch to 5K. All I can say is thank god for the Kelly Clarkson and Taylor Swift. Their music got me through the first work out.

IMG_0681 (2).jpg

It's also been a little bit challenging at work today because I'm really recognizing a lot of "I want to eat now" triggers that happen. For example, there is a starbucks in my office building directly across the hall from my office.

IMG_0683.jpg

And then there's the candy dish of death, which is ALWAYS full.

IMG_0682.jpg

Note - it is not my candy dish and I do not control what happens with it ;)

Last edited:

Following along! Fabulous job getting started, even in the rain. I have used Couch-to-5K in the past and it worked for me...hopefully it'll work for you too. :)

You have excellent taste in music. :thumbsup2

Go Marshall...getting out there on your first day even with rain! This is a very good thing!

Your plan looks awesome, small changes are important and will make such a huge difference. I'm pulling for ya!

You can do anything - just decide to do it. I like your idea of eliminating soda. In fact, if you can eliminate calories from drinks altogether, you could save yourself as much as 1,000 calories per day. Yeah, that's a lot of calories saved just by changing your drink options.

Good luck, and keep up the good work!

Tuesday - 6/16/2015

Work Out:
Off day for C25K - morning 20 min walk with the dog

Untitled.png

This morning really has me thinking about how many food choices we encounter on a daily basis. The day started out well with breakfast that included lots of fruit and nothing fried. I then had a really long meeting at work and during a break everyone went to a café (in the building) next to the meeting room. They had some really awesome looking hashbrowns, and I sooooooo wanted a big ol' cheesy bowl of them. The bummer part was that I already had eaten breakfast and wasn't hungry at all. BUT I WANTED THEM. I managed to make it out of the café without them, which is good, but it feels a little overwhelming that food choices can be such a struggle. And the struggle is constant.

On a positive note, however, I did join a gym and have a meeting with a trainer set up for Thursday. The plan is to incorporate a couple days of weight training into the C25K program. The gym is an Anytime Fitness, so that'll help eliminate any "whoops, the gym is closed" excuses.

Last edited:
The gym is another great choice. Muscle mass gained helps you burn calories 24/7.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it! It just feels good to be actively doing something... it feels like progress. :)

Good Job Marshall! skipping the hash browns couldn't have been easy-I'm not sure I could have done it. And great on the gym membership...the first step is sometimes the hardest.

Good Job Marshall! skipping the hash browns couldn't have been easy-I'm not sure I could have done it. And great on the gym membership...the first step is sometimes the hardest.

THANKS so much for the support!!!! :)

Wednesday - 6/17/2015

Work Out: 30 min C25K Week 1 Day 2, 20 min walk with dog

quote.jpg

Overall not a bad day! Work was really busy so the compulsion to snack didn't really kick in, and it was great to get my workout all done in the morning. So yeah, just a typical day. Tomorrow is the first day of lifting weights!

Last edited:
Following along as well...
On my own journey to lose weight and get ready to run a 5K in Disney World this November. Keep up the great work!

for now the big points will be eliminating soda, drinking more water, eliminating fast food, and ensuring a vegetable or fruit is present at every meal.

I did exactly this... and I was amazed how much of difference it made over time. Best of luck to you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter