European Union will bar travelers from the US (and others). US does not make the cut, too out of control

I never said it doesn’t bother me what others do; you must be speaking about someone else. I said I can’t control what others do....if you can that’s great.

As far as pride is concerned I am speaking to the attitude in the world today about how everyone thinks they know better than anyone else and there is very little room for reasonable discussion without either side ultimately being disrespectful of others opinions. As I stated before very little humbleness left in the world. I will leave it at that.
Well when those prideful doctors think they know medicine better than an anti vaxxer, I think those prideful doctors are right.

Well when those prideful doctors think they know medicine better than an anti vaxxer, I think those prideful doctors are right.
Indeed.
And how did pride and humility get mixed up in a serious public health emergency discussion?
"What can I do to help reduce transmission" seems like the thing we need to be pondering.
Caring about your neighbor isn't prideful. And it doesn't show a lack of humility. It's just decent.

being mindful of Dis rules, my thoughts are

1. The EU will ban USA visitors starting in July
2. The USA Government will review the the EU travel ban created in March
3. Diplomats from both sides will work to resolve this
4. The rollback and containment measures that states are restarting in June will start to work
5. Sometime in August there will be a joint EU and USA lifting of travel bans.

While the EU is very much science and data driven in their decisions and the USA travel ban is a result of data . However some in USA Government may take it as a personal affront and not agree with the loss of free travel. Therefore in my opinion, those in USA Government who see this as restricting their civil liberties will make sure that the travel bans are removed.
Personally, I don't believe border restrictions should be political or matters to be resolved diplomatically or negotiated on a quid pro quo basis. The only goal should be restricting the spread of Covid19.

I agree but unfortunately thats not the reality of the world we live in right now.
Too bad. For everybody. The idea of national pride based on being "welcome" everywhere is just not appropriate here. I am the farthest thing from being a globalist, ideologically. I strongly believe in the individual self-interests of sovereign nations and the need to negotiate those, country-to-country in most circumstances. But a pandemic transcends ideology - it's a real, physical thing - not something that "allies" should agree to pass between themselves as a matter of foreign policy.

I did not say one word about antivaxxers. I believe in vaccinating. I am simply talking about the lack of people’s ability to have a simple conversation without having an air about putting others in their so called place. This is not limited to Covid either. This has to do with most conversations about dang near anything today. If you want to continue to prove my point please go ahead. I’m heading for the beach for the duration!:flower1:

Those

The outbreaks we have been having are able to be traced to certain events or locations. Meat packing plants seem to be the culprit. Things so far are under control outside these cases. I hope they stay so.

And movement of people is not the cause nor reduces spread. Minimizing local community spread is.

Ok, then feel free to move about all you want.
As far as I'm concerned if an area is seeing a rise in cases instead of a drop then traveling there is a really stupid idea.

Plus wasn't this spread due to movement to begin with?

I would think. I mean spreading implies "movement" right? Otherwise why have we all been locked down for months, wasn't the point to restrict movement to slow down the spread.

Plus wasn't this spread due to movement to begin with?
Yes - undoubtedly. Canada's first case has been decisively traced to a traveller returning from China. This shouldn't strike anyone as being a controversial statement.

I think it's obviously smart for the E.U. to ban travelers from any country that has done a poor job. But I do wonder what will happen as we get into the fall. It seems pretty universal, that kids are going to back to school. Masks, no masks, social distancing....I don't care how they try it, we're going to have a zillion outbreaks once this happens. Isreal opened their schools two weeks ago and they've already had to close dozens because of outbreaks. Over 140 positive cases in one school alone. Kids will get sick, and they'll bring it home. I really just can't wrap my head around it. The rest of this year, and the winter of 2021 is gong to be.......awwwwffffulllll. We're just not good at this.

What I think is strange is the article said China will be allowed to enter AS long as China allows EU to enter. Isn’t China where this whole mess started.

It isn't about retribution, though. It is about current conditions. China has the virus well controlled. The U.S. doesn't.

The really interesting question will be where we go from here, as far as if/when border restrictions can be relaxed, given the very different approaches around the world. The U.S. might not be saying it aloud, but we're taking a "herd immunity" approach - letting the virus spread, hopefully in a semi-controlled fashion, and burn itself out as a growing share of the population develops immunity. But that may mean that we still pose a risk to the rest of the world even when our own new case numbers drop to comparable levels as other nations who took a stronger stand on controlling or eliminating the virus, because their populations will still be close to fully vulnerable. Especially when it comes to countries like New Zealand that have achieved eradication, I don't think they'll be able to open their borders to countries that merely controlled the virus or who have reached herd immunity because even a single exposure could so quickly escalate into catastrophe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter