• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7

That’s what we mostly do. Early entry for park number one. Ride as much as we can before it starts getting busy. Then back to the resort for a little break, or if we go to park two right away we usually leave before close (we don’t go open to close). Then by the time we go park two we have 4 rides lined up with no waits too. And you can usually pick up another one or maybe two while you’re in park two depending on crowds. Then ride another headliner close to closing with shorter waits.

It really works out nicely. We get to ride everything we want multiple times the week we are there with very little waiting involved.
This was our approach, and the we were able to "ride all the rides" this way.

Christmas Weeks.

12/18/22 - Genie+ $19
12/19/22 - Genie+ $25
12/20/22 - Genie+ $25
12/21/22 - Genie+ $25
12/22/22 - Genie+ $25
12/23/22 - Genie+ $29
12/24/22 - Genie+ $29

I find the whole Genie+ system and rules confusing...trying to learn the basics before our trip in 3 weeks. I know you can buy Genie+ at midnight but I don't understand the point if you can't actually book a LL until 7am?? why not just buy it at 7am then book your LL at the same time? Does Disney only allow a certain number of guests to buy Genie+ ? has anyone ever run into the problem of waiting to buy it the next morning but it's sold out?

Is there a listing of lighting lane costs for Christmas time? We are trying to budget accordingly. I am ASTOUNDED how expensive Disney is getting. Paying for a ticket and paying on top for premium rides. UGH!

Nope, it's surge pricing with a range of $15 - $29 per day per person. It depends on how crowded Disney thinks the parks will be that day and you won't know until the morning of when you go to book it. That is if you are talking about the Genie+ and not the ILL which is the one ride in every park that is not included in Genie+ and you have to pay for all by itself _ GOTG in Epcot, SDMT in MK, Rise in HS and FOP in AK. Those also use surge pricing and I don't remember the range for them.

Nope, it's surge pricing with a range of $15 - $29 per day per person. It depends on how crowded Disney thinks the parks will be that day and you won't know until the morning of when you go to book it. That is if you are talking about the Genie+ and not the ILL which is the one ride in every park that is not included in Genie+ and you have to pay for all by itself _ GOTG in Epcot, SDMT in MK, Rise in HS and FOP in AK. Those also use surge pricing and I don't remember the range for them.
THIS IS TRULY INSANE. Thankfully, we have done most Disney rides multiple times but Disney has become money hungry. I hope Iger changes things back....

THIS IS TRULY INSANE. Thankfully, we have done most Disney rides multiple times but Disney has become money hungry. I hope Iger changes things back....
They aren't going to turn off that money spigot.

Is there a listing of lighting lane costs for Christmas time? We are trying to budget accordingly. I am ASTOUNDED how expensive Disney is getting. Paying for a ticket and paying on top for premium rides. UGH!
Upcoming prices have not been announced. For a list of past Genie+ prices, see here.

I find the whole Genie+ system and rules confusing...trying to learn the basics before our trip in 3 weeks. I know you can buy Genie+ at midnight but I don't understand the point if you can't actually book a LL until 7am?? why not just buy it at 7am then book your LL at the same time? Does Disney only allow a certain number of guests to buy Genie+ ? has anyone ever run into the problem of waiting to buy it the next morning but it's sold out?
I bought it 3 days of our 8 day trip. If I was awake at midnight, I purchased it then. If I was going to sleep before midnight I set the alarm with enough time to purchase it before the 7AM drop.

Although they say Genie+ is limited, it has never ‘run out’ so has always been available to purchase.

I bought it 3 days of our 8 day trip. If I was awake at midnight, I purchased it then. If I was going to sleep before midnight I set the alarm with enough time to purchase it before the 7AM drop.

Although they say Genie+ is limited, it has never ‘run out’ so has always been available to purchase.
ok good to know. we have 6 park days 2 each MK & HS 1 each EP and AK. I'm planning to buy it at least for first day at MK and HS but then we'll see how busy things are.

Christmas Weeks.

12/18/22 - Genie+ $19
12/19/22 - Genie+ $25
12/20/22 - Genie+ $25
12/21/22 - Genie+ $25
12/22/22 - Genie+ $25
12/23/22 - Genie+ $29
12/24/22 - Genie+ $29
12/25/22 - Genie+ $29

Does one have to go through Genie to get desired attractions to appear at the top of the Tip Board?

I'm asking because I did this--used Genie to get my top attractions pinned to the top of the Tip Board--and the My Day board kept getting populated with unwanted suggestions. No matter how many of these suggestions I deleted, it kept pushing more at me. I was unable to see my actual selections on My Day until I scrolled past these unasked-for suggestions.

I see people referring to Edit, but I did not see this on the Tip Board my last trip. Is the edit function available only if you've already started the whole Genie thing? If so, I'll just continue scrolling down for the selections I want.

I'm sure this is covered somewhere else on this thread, but, you know, it's now 116 pages long.

Just double checking the old school /old fast pass rule of not being able to book a pass within an hour of another - no longer applies to LLs…. Correct?

How much worse can it get I ask myself…
as I see so many families in the express lines ?

Last edited:
Hey All -- My apologies in advance for the following dumb questions:

1) If we are using Genie+ and enter a ride during our ride window, and we "tap" our wristbands on the Mickey posts, do we have to "double tap" and why? (I saw that in the first few posts but didn't know what "double tap" meant.)

2) If we are stacking Genie Plus every two hours, can two rides be in the exact same time window?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter