Everything is so expensive! (just a vent)

I haven't seen an increase in food prices around me (yet). I always do all the grocery shopping so I think I'd notice. The housing market is INSANE though and I just know it's going to burst. Might take another year. I don't mean that it will be some huge economic bust like before, but it will cool down. Personally, I don't think it's a good time to buy now with the housing prices so inflated.

As for building materials, I have been hearing about that and that's not brand new. I thought that was happening due to tariffs that were instituted back in the 2018-2019 timeframe and are now showing up in the marketplace. I think we knew that one was coming.

I was shocked on my first trip to a brewery since March 2019. The cost of a pint went from $5 to $7 in 14 months. That is a 40% increase.
We go to breweries weekly so we’ve seen the prices steadily creeping up. They also have started using smaller glasses for a lot of the beers.

We went to one brewery in the mountains and their price was still $4 for everything. We were pretty shocked and the brewer joked that they still had 2012 prices (when they opened).

Not a good time to do renovations or buy a new or used vehicle. We are postponing renovations until prices drop. Don’t need the aggravation anyway. We did new windows, roof, exterior paining, major landscaping, and bought a new vehicle in 2020. We were focused on the exterior. Time for a new patio umbrella and new chair cushions.

Not a good time to do renovations or buy a new or used vehicle. We are postponing renovations until prices drop. Don’t need the aggravation anyway. We did new windows, roof, exterior paining, major landscaping, and bought a new vehicle in 2020. We were focused on the exterior. Time for a new patio umbrella and new chair cushions.
Yes, in addition to the masonry we got a new roof and are getting the house painted.

As for building materials, I have been hearing about that and that's not brand new. I thought that was happening due to tariffs that were instituted back in the 2018-2019 timeframe and are now showing up in the marketplace. I think we knew that one was coming.
Lumber issues in its current form is due to the pandemic and saw mills and other stuff.

Tariffs may have slightly raised but all that was already existing when the pandemic hit. Lumber pricing had been going up but what we're seeing now is pandemic related.

The pandemic is also affecting cargo ships and shipping containers. My husband works on power plants and they are having some real issues with that getting parts here, it's also why you see issues with appliances in addition to electronic issues. Shutting down of ports as well. Some of the ships that carry power plant parts for my husband's company rerouted to Canada because the ports aren't as busy because of backlogs in the U.S

Lumber issues in its current form is due to the pandemic and saw mills and other stuff.

Tariffs may have slightly raised but all that was already existing when the pandemic hit. Lumber pricing had been going up but what we're seeing now is pandemic related.

The pandemic is also affecting cargo ships and shipping containers. My husband works on power plants and they are having some real issues with that getting parts here, it's also why you see issues with appliances in addition to electronic issues. Shutting down of ports as well. Some of the ships that carry power plant parts for my husband's company rerouted to Canada because the ports aren't as busy because of backlogs in the U.S
That’s exact what it is. Not tariffs. There is also a shortage of shipping containers.

Yes! We were ready to do home improvements or purchase a new to us automobile. But prices for both have put both on hold for now.

And home prices in our neighborhood are high and homes are selling fast.

Groceries are not rising in my experience as quickly as other goods and services. But I have 3 college kids home, my grocery bill is going up this summer regardless.

I was looking to buy a new car. Normally Honda discounts $2-3 k off sticker price. Now, the price is the price. I am holding off to see if things improve later in the year.

Our son has been looking for a newer used vehicle for months. Ended up visiting a number of locations to see and test drive, at least 4 cities here and in Houston. Finally made a deal he could live with. Not a lot of choices for the vehicle he wanted. Some were sold right before he got there. One that was being offered for sale had a code on it that was the catalytic converter when he researched it. No thanks. Sellers figure they will take advantage. Glad that search is over.

That’s exact what it is. Not tariffs. There is also a shortage of shipping containers.

And this is why we need to make things in America. We are far to dependent on goods coming to us that are make in other countries like China. We need made in America. Not only would it be good for our country but it would create MANY GOOD PAYING JOBS.

I heard the other day that the drilling leases for oil/fossil fuel in Alaska were all pulled back. That is not going to help fuel prices. Also killing the pipelines doesn't help. We are now going back to the old way of being dependent on other countries for our fuel. What do you think is going to happen. The prices are going to go up.

The housing market reminds me of what was happening in 2007/2008 before the market crashed. So many people paid too much for their houses and it looks like it's happening again. I'm glad I'm not doing any major renovations or buying at home at this time. I feel bad for those who are.

As far as groceries go I think it has been costing us more throughout the pandemic and it continues. I do think if you shop the sales you can do ok on some items. It helps if you have a freezer so you can buy when on sale and freeze for later use.

And this is why we need to make things in America. We are far to dependent on goods coming to us that are make in other countries like China. We need made in America. Not only would it be good for our country but it would create MANY GOOD PAYING JOBS.

In my experience, most things we buy CAN be found "made in america", but they cost more. They cost more because labor here costs more. That isn't going to change, and in fact may even get more costly with wages increasing. Most people don't buy the "made in america" stuff because it costs more now. Why do people keep thinking that if we just make MORE things here that everyone would buy them? The only way to force people to buy the more expensive made in america things is to put tariffs on the imports, and then we have even more problems because there are no cheaper alternatives and everyone is paying more.

I'm not going to touch most of this argument but just so you know just because something is made in America does not in fact mean it won't have impacts.

A dresser we were looking at at Nebraska Furniture Mart, which by the way that particular one IS made in America, still had a 4+ month wait if you wanted one of the colors in came in. We didn't want to wait that long and settled on the 2nd favorite color and picked it up that day that was in stock.

Please don't turn the conversation into a politically-driven one :flower3:

In my experience, most things we buy CAN be found "made in america", but they cost more. They cost more because labor here costs more. That isn't going to change, and in fact may even get more costly with wages increasing. Most people don't buy the "made in america" stuff because it costs more now. Why do people keep thinking that if we just make MORE things here that everyone would buy them? The only way to force people to buy the more expensive made in america things is to put tariffs on the imports, and then we have even more problems because there are no cheaper alternatives and everyone is paying more.
And there are honestly things that we don't have the capabilities to have here. Some metals for example are just not here in our country.

This may be true but as you say that's because we pay higher wages but I guess that is price we have to pay to supply a living wage. Where were you when we were have the long thread about minimum wage? This is exactly the point with raising the minimum wage to $15 per hour. EVERYTHING will cost more.

I don't fully agree with you on being able to find most things that are made in America. Maybe after and exhaustive search but not most things are not easily found that are made in America. I always look but usually don't find MiA. Sure wish I did.

I guess the point to the tariffs was to put MiA on a level playing field with things made out of country. Countries that have a much lower standard of living and pay much lower wages. I don't think we can have it both ways. We either pay a fair price for things MiA or we keep things the way they are and be held hostage by other countries with shortages.

We go to breweries weekly so we’ve seen the prices steadily creeping up. They also have started using smaller glasses for a lot of the beers.

We went to one brewery in the mountains and their price was still $4 for everything. We were pretty shocked and the brewer joked that they still had 2012 prices (when they opened).

Wow. Did they keep the price and start selling half pints?

I worked for a brewery for 21 years. I get the need to increase prices and wouldn’t have even batted an eye at $5.50. I do understand the why. Less sales. Having to cover increased expenses due to COVID. Increases in raw materials. Etc.

There are lots of problems in the supply chains of everything. But people forget what is by far the biggest reason for the inflation we're seeing right now -- the amount of government financial stimulus. So far, not counting proposals on the table currently, the US government has provided 12.1 TRILLION in pandemic stimulus.

https://www.mckinsey.com/featured-i...triple-that-for-the-entire-2008-09-recession#
Most of the media attention focuses on the stimulus bills passed by Congress, but those are chickenfeed. The real stimulus engine during the pandemic has been the Federal Reserve, which has poured trillions into financial markets to keep them afloat.

Treasury Secretary Yellen says that the current inflation will taper off as stimulus money gets spent, and she may be right.

But yes, everything is more expensive -- for a variety of reasons.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/12/con...il-2021.html?&qsearchterm=car price increases

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter