• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Everything Rope Drop

Status
Not open for further replies.
We walked into HS at 830 this morning (900 am official open), straight back to RR and rode after about a 15 minute wait.

All parks are back to their traditional pre-Covid openings
MK - hard rope drop at official opening
AK & HS - open about 20-30 minutes early, sometimes a little earlier
Epcot - usually opens a bit early (15-20ish minutes), though it varies and sometimes they don't rope drop until official opening time

We went to MK and ask so far. MK let’s people in and people line up at the respective lands for which ride they are going to. But doesn’t let in until 9am. AK let us in park to walk to Pandora at 7:20 and rope dropped at 7:30. Finished riding Flight of passage by 8:03. HS today - will let you know.

Look up car rental rates... they are insane. It depends on what your options are though and if you need car seats especially. Me with kids, I prioritized getting a hotel where we could monorail or walk to each park. If it were me as just adults I would definitely Uber.
HOLY SMOKES!!!! Car rental prices are a joke!!! Thank you, I've been doing more research and questioning and most responses are 100% Uber/Lyft etc. Thanks for the tip!

All parks are back to their traditional pre-Covid openings
MK - hard rope drop at official opening
AK & HS - open about 20-30 minutes early, sometimes a little earlier
Epcot - usually opens a bit early (15-20ish minutes), though it varies and sometimes they don't rope drop until official opening time
First time at WDW, staying at the Coronado Tower, if early opening for guests in December is (hypothetical 8:00 AM) how early should I leave my hotel with transportation being an Uber/Lyft. I want to be early! I have no concept of distance or timing for these parks!!

Why did you feel rope dropping MK was unproductive?
We rope dropped MK twice. First time Monday 7/26, we arrived at TTC at 8:25, ferry arrived at 8:55 (9am opening) so I guess that technically doesn't count as rope dropping? We went to Space first (arrived about 9:10?) and the line was posted 60, actual 45. Then Jungle Cruise, posted 50, actual 35? Then got a Dole Whip, rode Big Thunder, and Did Philharmagic (15min wait!). At this point it was 12:45. So 3 rides plus Philharmagic in approx 4 hours.
Our second rope drop was earlier, which I recommend. We arrived at TTC at 8:05, took monorail instead of ferry (which I highly recommend), scanned in by 8:25, at front of line for Tomorrowland by 8:30. This allowed us to have a minimal wait for Space (off by 9:15), then Splash. As of 9:15, the posted wait was 60. We got in the line at Splash at 9:22, waited about 35-40 min. So basically, by 9:15, we found all headliners at 50 minutes and above. We found the posted wait to exceed the actual time by approx 10 minutes, sometimes more. I DO NOT recommend rope dropping Mine Train. On Friday 7/30, the ride was down until almost noon. People were still waiting in line at around 11...I cannot imagine the frustration. So when rope dropping MK, you can get two rides done in your first hour. I just don't feel like that's a huge payoff for the time investment. The little kid rides were still short in the first hour, so if that's your priority, I think you could feel like it was worth the time.

Following along, we are also going in August and have two HS days. We plan to rope drop Smuggler's one day and MMRR the other. My family is willing to skip SD this trip.

We are planning the same. A roller coaster is a roller coaster and there are plenty of them. I'm looking forward to our first trip to Galaxy's Edge too!

We rope dropped MK twice. First time Monday 7/26, we arrived at TTC at 8:25, ferry arrived at 8:55 (9am opening) so I guess that technically doesn't count as rope dropping? We went to Space first (arrived about 9:10?) and the line was posted 60, actual 45. Then Jungle Cruise, posted 50, actual 35? Then got a Dole Whip, rode Big Thunder, and Did Philharmagic (15min wait!). At this point it was 12:45. So 3 rides plus Philharmagic in approx 4 hours.
Our second rope drop was earlier, which I recommend. We arrived at TTC at 8:05, took monorail instead of ferry (which I highly recommend), scanned in by 8:25, at front of line for Tomorrowland by 8:30. This allowed us to have a minimal wait for Space (off by 9:15), then Splash. As of 9:15, the posted wait was 60. We got in the line at Splash at 9:22, waited about 35-40 min. So basically, by 9:15, we found all headliners at 50 minutes and above. We found the posted wait to exceed the actual time by approx 10 minutes, sometimes more. I DO NOT recommend rope dropping Mine Train. On Friday 7/30, the ride was down until almost noon. People were still waiting in line at around 11...I cannot imagine the frustration. So when rope dropping MK, you can get two rides done in your first hour. I just don't feel like that's a huge payoff for the time investment. The little kid rides were still short in the first hour, so if that's your priority, I think you could feel like it was worth the time.

Thanks for the post. I have heard not to rope drop Mine Train and that's the big one we want to wait. We will use our TP app to follow the best times to join the line.

We were at Epcot today (8/4), official opening was 11 am. We were there around 10:25, we were allowed to get just before Mars and at 10:30 on the dot they dropped the rope. We pretty much walked on test track which showed a wait time of 60 minutes off the bat and jumped to 75 in a few minutes. But the real wait time was 5-10 if that. we then pretty much walked on soarin. Got all this done before 11. Most attractions listed approx double the wait time of what the rides were (spaceship earth said 30, it was 15). Nemo said 35, it was about 15-20.

We walked into HS at 830 this morning (900 am official open), straight back to RR and rode after about a 15 minute wait.
What time did you arrive at HS? I’m curious how many people are there waiting to be let in at 8:40

We are just back from first week of August...we did not visit MK, but all three other parks had rope drop just about 30 minutes prior to park opening, almost on the dot actually.

Before covid I would rope drop every day and it was a good strategy. Following along on this thread, I see that its still a good (if not vital) strategy, but unfortunately at this moment I'm not sure I'm very comfortable with those crowds.

Is it possible at all to rope drop and avoid standing in that crowd waiting for open? If I arrive right at opening time, or a little before, so I'm at the back of the crowd, is there any benefit to that?

Anyone with recent experience about what time they allow cars into the parking lot at Hollywood Studios? Thank you!

Before covid I would rope drop every day and it was a good strategy. Following along on this thread, I see that its still a good (if not vital) strategy, but unfortunately at this moment I'm not sure I'm very comfortable with those crowds.

Is it possible at all to rope drop and avoid standing in that crowd waiting for open? If I arrive right at opening time, or a little before, so I'm at the back of the crowd, is there any benefit to that?

We did this yesterday at MK. We got to MK about 8:45 and just hung back at the hub. We were not in the crowds at each land. When they started walking everyone back we followed behind everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter