Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Meal Vouchers

Status
Not open for further replies.
ELFBO,
YOU MUST BE THE MOST ORGANIZED PERSON IN THE WORLD!!
How did you keep track of all that?
Thank you for all your work in posting that. It really comes in handy seeing what someone else has experienced.
:wave2:

We are just back and kept detailed records of our expenses in our PDA, in part in order to try to figure out if we'd want to order Q&C vouchers again. The details are below (cut and pasted from the PDA). Most of the dining was my husband and I, but we also treated my castmember cousin to a number of meals. Sometimes we used 1 voucher per person and sometimes 1 voucher for 2 people. We enjoyed pretty much everything we ate and would say it was all either good or excellent. The salads in particular were very good.

Date: 9/24/2003
Amount: $22.50
Payment: Prepaid
Vendor: Pecos Bill $28.26
Details:
I got a salad, fries, lemonade, and piece of chocolate cream pie. Stu got chicken wrap, fries, soda, and piece of chocolate cream pie. Bill came to $28.26, the vouchers saving us $5.76. Without vouchers, would have ordered: salad, 2 lrg sodas, wrap, probably split a piece of pie (were starving). Would have cost $19.45 W/O dessert, $23.16 with dessert. Saved $0.66 over what we would have ordered (but we got more food w/vouchers).

Date: 9/26/2003
Amount: $11.25
Vendor: Lunch at Land Pavilli...
Details:
Stu used voucher. Got chicken, ribs, corn on cob, slaw, coke, and turtle brownie. Came to $12.33, saving us $1.08. Would have ordered exact same thing without vouchers. I was not very hungry, so just paid cash for a salad.

Date: 9/27/2003
Amount: $22.50
Vendor: Tusker house
Details:
Stu had rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, large soda, and cheesecake. I had salad, fries, large lemonade, and cheesecake. Bill came to $29.64, saving us $7.14. Without vouchers, would have gotten salad, small lemonade, chicken, large soda, and split a piece of cheesecake for a total of $24.02 (incl. Tax).

Date: 9/29/2003
Amount: $33.75
Vendor: Sand Trap Bar and ...
Details:
I had cobb salad, cup of mushroom soup, iced tea, and chocolate cake. Linda got ruben sandwich, homemade chips, iced tea, tiramisu cake, and was told to order an appetizer as a side: she got onion straws (which we all split). Stu got a California club, homemade chips, soda, and cheesecake for dessert. Could have gotten appetizer as side, but we could not have eaten it, so decided to skip it. Meal came to $55.20. Linda left and additional $3 in tip. We saved $21.45 with the vouchers. Without vouchers, Stu and I would have gotten sandwich, salad, two teas, and 1 dessert, which would have come to around $34.15. We saved $11.65 over what we would have ordered. Didn't eat dessert or half of our meals. Took to Vero to have for dinner.

Date: 10/2/2003
Amount: $14.61
Vendor: Kringala og Bakeri
Details:
Used 1 voucher. Split ham and cheese sandwich, salad, and cinnamon roll. Stu got large soda with voucher and I paid for a separate latte ($3.16). Cost of voucher portion of meal was $14.02, saving $2.76. This was part of our "dining around World Showcase" plan. Planned to use 3 vouchers that day, but didn't get hungry again until dinner, so only used 1.

Date: 10/4/2003
Vendor: Lotus Blossom Cafe
Details:
Got Orange Chicken with steamed rice and an eggroll, side of fried rice, strawberry smoothie as beverage, and red bean ice cream for dessert. Stu and I split this meal as part of our "dining around World Showcase" plan. Came to $17.10. Saved $5.85 using the voucher.

Date: 9/26/2003
Amount: $35.75
Vendor: Beaches and Cream
Details:
I got burger, onion rings, cherry coke, and fudge mudslide. Linda got the same thing, except with a cheeseburger. Stu got the same thing, but a double cheeseburger and fries. Meal came to $57.40, left an additional $2 tip, Linda left $1. We saved $20.65 using the vouchers. Without vouchers, Stu and I would have ordered a single burger, a single cheeseburger, 2 cherry cokes, sub 1 order onion rings for fries, and split a brownie a la mode. We would have spent $27.75 plus tax ($29.55) and tip ($35.05). Still would have saved $12.55.

Date: 9/28/2003
Amount: $33.75
Vendor: Pepper Market
Details:
Took Linda to dinner. Stu had rotisserie chicken, fries, vegetables, carrot cake and tea. Stacey had grilled ribeye, baked potato, vegetables, apple pie a la mode, and lemonade. Linda had the same. Bill for Stu and I would have come to $44.50. For all three of us, total would have been $72.43. Saved $38.68 for all 3 of us. Saved $22 for Stu and I. Without vouchers, we probably wouldn't have gotten 2 desserts, so perhaps the bill would have come to around $39.

Date: 10/2/2003
Vendor: Yakitori House
Details:
Had shogun combo, salad, soda, and chestnut cake. Came to $17.64. Saved $6.39. Part of our "dining around World Showcase" plan. Stu and I split this meal for dinner.

By our calculations, we saved $58.96 over what we normally would have ordered at these restaurants (but of course we got much more food with the vouchers). Our savings if we had ordered all the food and paid cash was $109.76. If anyone has any questions, please ask. Hope these details help.

Beatnik

IMPORTANT UPDATE: 16 January 2004
Buyer Beware: Hwsc Disreputable!!
Hello all,

Just wanted to let you know of my recent bad experience with the Hotwire Savings Club. I feel responsible for you all, as I have posted previously about my favorable experiences with Q and C vouchers that I had purchased through them. But I had learned from Mary Waring (of Mousesavers) before I joined the HWSC that they are owned by MWI, whose business practices are somewhat disreputable. And now I have learned through first hand experience that HWSC is no better. Here's the story:

About 1 week ago, I received my credit card bill which contained December's charges on it. There were 5 charges to HWSC dated various days that we were on vacation; the total of these charges were around $1000. We knew that we had made no charges to HWSC while we were away, so we called HWSC to see what was up. The customer service rep we talked could find no record of any charges beyond our $7.95 monthly membership fee. He said he had no idea what these charges were, he had no record of them, and there was nothing that he could do about it. So I naturally called my credit card company, who said they would investigate but that they would need to request that the membership be cancelled. Although we were owed some rebates on gift cards we had purchased (the company's policy is that you do not get any outstanding rebates once you cancel your membership), we naturally said this was fine, given the large amount of money involved.

I immediately called HWSC back to see if I could find out more (the first fellow I spoke with really seemed clueless). I got a very clever girl on the phone who immediately figured out what all the charges were-- they were for some substantial purchases that were made in late Novemeber, but because of the Thanksgiving holiday, the charges did not go through until the first week in December. Crisis solved, and I called the credit card company back, told them they didn't need to investigate the charges, and said not to request the membership be cancelled. The credit card company said fine, they'd take care of it.

Today, I went to log onto HWSC and saw that my membership had been cancelled. I called HWSC customer service (spoke to a supervisor) and was told that the membership could not be re-instated and that since I had cancelled it while I still had rebates due to me, I would not get the rebates that were coming to me! When I pointed out that I had not requested that the membership be cancelled, but it was my credit card company who did so, I was then told that this "was even worse, because I disputed the charges." What the heck did they expect when they could not recognize any of the charges that THEY had made to my card! I was speechless (but not for long!), and attempted to point out that the whole chain of events was set into motion by the incompetence of their customer service representative (I said it calmly, although I know it was slightly rude). Anyway, the supervisor and I went round and round, with HWSC hiding behind their "policy" stating that "the membership must be in good standing for any rebates to be issued," my stating over and over that I understood the terms of the membership, I was not disputing them, but that it was their poor customer service that was the ultimate cause of all this...

Well, I imagine I will get nowhere. We will file a complaint with the appropriate state attorney's general office (Ohama, Nebraska if any one else needs to know) and write a letter of complaint to both HWSC and Hotwire. Don't expect we will ever see our rebates, which were proabably $50 or less. I knew I was playing with fire with this HWSC membership, so I am not going to get to bent out of shape about this. But I did want to let you all know of my experience and to warn you:

Caveat emptor. Let the buyer beware!

Beatnik

PS I am not that thrilled with my credit card comany right now either!!!

I was wondering if I bought the vouchers for the adults and paid for the reg. price of 9.99 for the children would they let me do that-or do I need vouchers for all people in the party? Also, the Q & C vouchers are they good at the buffets like in Germany because the dinners are 19.99 and if it can be used that is a savings of $8.74 per person-so can I use them a buffets? Someone please help! THANKS SO MUCH!

the Q/c are only good for the most part at counter and Beaches and Cream and food courts. if you go to the menus on here under dining or www.wdwig.com you can see if they are worthwhile for you. if you noticed the little* on the posts that say which rest. you can use the vouchers at, those are the better deals.

with a buffet at lunch you need one per person and the kingdom lunch voucher which is $30 per for appe., entree dessert and bev.but includes tax and tip. the dinner vouchers are like $60 each so no savings there

we are planning on splitting a voucher between my husband and I as many have done for sit down lunches and getting the breakfast vouchers for buffet breakfasts, q/c for a few counters and beaches.

Just wondering if anyone has used the voucher at Boma for breakfast, and did it allow for the extra-priced coffee, or was it only good for the regular buffet?

When we went to boma, and used the breakfast vouchers, were were allowed a drink off of the menu. We selected the press pots, of tea. So that turned out to be a really good deal for us.

So if you pay for your meal with vouchers- what happens to the "leftover" funds? Does it work like gift certificates where you have a remaining balance or are you prepaying a lesser amount, therefore saving before ordering? :confused: I think I get the process, but don't know if it's right for us.

The meal vouchers are not for a set price of food. You pay for the vouchers, and you get to pick the food items that you want to eat that is allowed by the voucher, ie. a hamburger, fries, drink and dessert. If the items that you pick, do not total how much you paid for the voucher, than you didnt save any money by using the voucher. Remeber you need to factor in tax, and tip, to see if you save any money.

the meal vouchers are not a set amount like a gift certificate, they are a meal certificate which allows you to get certain food items (see earlier posts for specifics). Boma's breakfast buffet is 14.99 per person, if you factor in tax 0.97 and tip 2.25 the total for that meal is 18.21. If you use a breakfast voucher, at a cost of 17.75, the voucher will cover the entire cost, at a savings.

If your meal had totaled, less than 17.75, the voucher will still cover the cost of the meal, but you will not have saved any money by using it. You would have pre paid your meal, but would not have any additional savings.

You pay for the price of the vouchers, 17.75, 11.25, 30.50, and then it is up to you, what to order off the menu, wether you will save any money by using them, break even, or maybe loose money by using. (by not getting food that costs more than you paid for the voucher)

Hope this helps

Very clearly explained, elfbo. I thought that's what I was learning, but needed the clarification. Thanks.

anyone but especially those who used the vouchers: is there any place you particluarly did not think you got enough food to warrent using the voucher? also for the RFC, would we have way to much food if we each used a voucher KLV..I have read the portions are large and no way I would order appe. dessert and entree at a "real world " rest. could of course save the dessert but wondering about how many vouchers to buy. Thanks

I just called the Lillian Vernon site I asked to join connections.She said it was called Homework now.So I ordered it.Its free for 30 days ,but if you want to continue it is 9.95 a month.You also get a 25.00 free gas card for signing up. This is our first trip to DW so I hope these will come in handy. I wantd then for the Character Brkf,since we have PS for Donald And Mickey.It sounded like a good deal,we'll see when I get the package.
Good Luck
Jeri

I saw some Disney Vouchers on sale on Ebay. Do you think it's unwise to purchase them from online? Like, do they expire ever? I guess it's a big "buyer beware" too b/c you never know what you're really getting with ebay purchases.princess:

you could probably ask about expiration but if you join hotwire and order right away you can cancel after the order comes( mine came about a week after I ordered them ) and not pay anything other than the vocuher cost. usually ebay has shipping and stuff in addition( although I did get some good buys on restaurant.com certificates on ebay but they are not for Disney rest.)

If I read this correctly, the only vouchers we can use at RFC are the VKL vouchers, and NOT the Q & C? The only sit down restaurant we can use Q & C at is Beaches & Cream?

RFc: vkl voucher or you can join the safari club through the RFC and get 10% off and also receive a$10.00 GC. you can join through the mail (if the trip ifs further away than 6 wks only, the phone # with the info. is on the RFC website ) or at an rfc if you have a local one ( or the one at dtd or ak) but I think they still mail you the gc.

Q/c vouchers: I looked on my vouchers and,,, I am not familiar with the sand trap bar and grill at Bonnet Creek Golf course so I don't know if that is sit down or not but I did not see any (other than B&C) that are sit down.

Hi! Just wondering about this meal vouchers from connections. I have heard you can have a trial membership?? Can anyone tell me about this program? I have seen this for sell on e-bay a a much higher cost (go figure!) Any info would be great. Going to see Mickey in April. Got any meal tickets for sale?? Thanks

Can you use the VKL voucher at Liberty Tree Tavern before MVMCP? I know it can be used normally there but wasn't sure about before the special event.
TIA

OK never mind...my PS that night are during the dinner time which is the Character Buffet so it wouldn't benefit us to even think about using them. Thanks anyway!!!

I have a question about using vouchers at Sunshine Seasone Food Fair at Epcot. I read that there are different counters here and I want to know if the voucher can only be used at one counter (which makes the most sense to me) or could you order a sandwich at one counter and get your dessert at another? I was not sure if Sunshine Fair was one big food court or if they all do their own transactions.

So, if I pay with a Q&C voucher at Beaches and Cream--how does the tip work? How much is the server tipped out of the voucher?

The tip of 15% is paid to the waiter on the Q&V voucher.
At Peppermarket only 10% is added (at cash for everyone not just voucher users), and this is combined and divide by the entire waiting staff. If you leave extra tip on the table the waiter gets that themself alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter