Excuse my ignorace but how is/was the earthquake?

Darkhaund

Mouseketeer
I know it is big huge state but still.
Given what just happend, how bad does it feel on the DL RESORT if it happens?

I was at DL during the 2008 Chino Hills quake. They shut down the rides for a few hours. I think the quake hit around noon, and things were back to normal by late afternoon, IIRC.

I only live 20 miles away from the coast and barely felt it. Disneyland didn't experience any shaking.

As a sidenote from my experience working in the amusement park industry, in the event of an earthquake that is mild-moderate in intensity, usually amusement parks temporarily shut down rides, do safety inspections, then reopen attractions as appropriate. In a more severe earthquake, it would depend on the amount of damage and risk of aftershocks.

I didn’t even know there was an earthquake. I just googled it and I see it was a 5.3. I wouldn’t expect anything under a 7.0 to affect Disneyland in any way. And maybe not even a 7.0.

A 5.3 right under Disneyland would definitely affect it! A 7.0 under the park would be a major deal and probably shut it down for the day with all of the safety and infrastructure checks that would have to be done.

This one was out in the ocean so it was nothing much on land. When they hit under the OC/LA area they can and do cause damage.

A 5.3 right under Disneyland would definitely affect it! A 7.0 under the park would be a major deal and probably shut it down for the day with all of the safety and infrastructure checks that would have to be done.

This one was out in the ocean so it was nothing much on land. When they hit under the OC/LA area they can and do cause damage.

You are correct. The likelihood of a large quake being directly under the resort is even less likely though (but always possibility)!

I know it is big huge state but still.
Given what just happend, how bad does it feel on the DL RESORT if it happens?

It really depends on where it is centered. There are fault lines all over CA. Some run under or near the DL area, some are far away (San Fransico, San Diego, Palm Springs, our in the ocean, etc) that would not affect DL. This one was 38 or something miles out in the ocean so no harm no foul for the most part.

I think the Whittier fault line would beg to differ! :scared1:

I guess what I’m trying to say is.... we get any number of earthquakes a year here in SoCal. Every time one is big enough to make the news, I have friends and family texting from other parts of the country and world worried that we are about to break off and fall into the ocean. Although the possibility of a major quake is always there, more often than not there is no lasting effects/damage... outside of the few large ones we’ve had in say the last 30 years. I think people hear California and earthquake and immediately think of major earthquakes and lots of damage.

I was at DL during the 2008 Chino Hills quake. They shut down the rides for a few hours. I think the quake hit around noon, and things were back to normal by late afternoon, IIRC.
Oh do I remember that earthquake. I live by LAX and was home and I thought the house was never going to stop moving.

Oh do I remember that earthquake. I live by LAX and was home and I thought the house was never going to stop moving.
I had just gotten off of Big Thunder, and it felt like the sidewalk was rising up. My first thought, “wow, guess I’m getting too old for coasters.” A few seconds later, I realized it was a quake and not my equilibrium.

You felt it all the way by LAX? Wow!

I had just gotten off of Big Thunder, and it felt like the sidewalk was rising up. My first thought, “wow, guess I’m getting too old for coasters.” A few seconds later, I realized it was a quake and not my equilibrium.

You felt it all the way by LAX? Wow!
If I remember correctly that earthquake was pretty close to the surface and wasn’t several miles below ground so it had a huge ripple field.

You are correct. The likelihood of a large quake being directly under the resort is even less likely though (but always possibility)!

Not really even a possibility since there aren't any faults directly under the parks.

The Whittier Fault is the closest one and can produce a major quake, but it's not likely. Disneyland is actually located in what is considered a low risk part of Southern California.

I am in LA and didn’t feel anything. Didn’t know an earthquake happened until they announced it at my job.

And just for reference....this was a 5.3 I believe. Damage does not start till about a 6.0 in California. Anything below that is just the us Californians explaining we did not fall off into the ocean.

My favorite is when the news reports a 2.9 and follow it up with “no reports of injury or damag”...no kidding. Most quakes are mistaken for a truck driving by!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter