Experience w/ Samsonite Centric or Winfield 2?

Apologies in advance if this is the best place for this, but wasn’t sure it fit anywhere else either. Also, I hope this doesn’t go against any rules, if it does... sorry.

I’m going to buy some hard case luggage before my cruise. I have found many mixed reviews online, so I was hoping to get some better advice from y’all. Have you had any experience with Samsonite hard case luggage specifically the Centric line or the Winfield 2 line?

**Please note that this is NOT a discussion about soft case vs hard case.**

Are you asking about it for the cruise specifically/exclusively or will you need to fly with them as well?

We had Samsonite luggage, don't remember which kind. Got rid of it after zipper broke on one and wheel on another after very little use. We now have Travelpro, which we've used on a lot of trips(all flying) with no problems.

We purchased Samsonite hard side luggage for our flight/cruise and have no complaints. They weren’t that type though, we just grabbed ours from Marshall’s. One was an Omni and not sure on the other.

Same here. I tried the hard side Samsonite several years back. The pull handle (tubes) broke after about a year. Some overheads are shorter in-height than the ones on larger aircraft. The hard side could not fit in and had to check it. I went back to soft side TravelPro (tail between my legs). My DH is a retired captain for a major airline and flight crews use TravelPro because it holds up in most configurations. Score one for him.

Apologies in advance if this is the best place for this, but wasn’t sure it fit anywhere else either. Also, I hope this doesn’t go against any rules, if it does... sorry.

I’m going to buy some hard case luggage before my cruise. I have found many mixed reviews online, so I was hoping to get some better advice from y’all. Have you had any experience with Samsonite hard case luggage specifically the Centric line or the Winfield 2 line?

**Please note that this is NOT a discussion about soft case vs hard case.**

i’ve had my set of Centric for about two years, the 20” and 28” in teal. The teal color is nice because it’s easy to spot if you are picking up your bags at the luggage carousel. It wasn’t an active choice, it was the only color Costco offered. I like them both very much. One side is completely zippered, and there’s a large zippered pocket and a small zippered pocket. On the open side, there are straps to hold in your clothing. They are expandable, I’ve only had to do that once. Easy to roll, including down streets and sidewalks, as we need to roll them to get to the train. I’ve traveled with them both domestically and internationally, and they’ve gone on DCL cruises with us. Had a flight a couple of months ago where it was absolutely pouring as they were unloading the luggage. People at baggage claim were complaining about their wet luggage, but I had no issues with my bag.

Samsonite was hard, (the zipper was on the inside of it). The Travelpros we have are soft. I bought all new when Kohls had them on sale(3 extra large and 3 carry on sizes) My dh was also a pilot(military and commercial). He had some other brand, don't remember what, but it was really expensive for just his one carry on size that he used when flying commercially. It was really good, but would have been too expensive to buy for all of us.

We have the Winfield 2 luggage. No complaints about durability at all. Think we have had them 4 years or so now, so several flights taken with them. They are shiny, so scuff marks showed up immediately. I like how lightweight they are, and they fit a whole lot in them.

I had the Winfield set: carryon, 24 and 28. We seldom use the carryon and it’s still fine. The 24” one’s zipper pull got broke on its first trip. We bought them in 2011. Then the inside zipper of the 28” got broke when we were packing to leave for our South Korea trip in the summer of 2018. I taped it closed with packaging tape and left for the airport. It held up until we were back. We finally replaced them with Delsey helium aero for our Japan trip this summer. Costco offers good price on them and I like them a lot. They are much better than Samsonite Winfield in terms of weight and maneuverability.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter