Faith, hope, trust, and Pixie Dust!

Each time some one adds something, I think there can't be any more wonderful stories.
Then someone adds something else that is wonderful.:grouphug:

Well thanks so much for making me cry already this AM, Eeyore's Butterfly. You are one cool person to tell us your stories. Better marketing for WDW than Corporate could ever think of...Anyone from Disney listening?????? As in, come to WDW and you'll find something to celebrate...

What a great :thumbsup2 idea it this is. This is a nice reminder to try to look for the positive and appreciate what you have, sometimes I really need that reminder :)

Last Sept. we made a very spur of the moment trip to wdw, our first. My just turned three year old grandson faces challenges. He isn't autistic, he has some symptoms of asbergers syndrome and I am not sure what else. My daughter is excellent with him and were it not for her I seriously doubt he would be able to function as normally as he does.
He is prone to night terrors and has frequent meltdowns as well.
I love him with my entire being and he has the biggest heart of anyone I know.
I was concerned about bringing him to wdw. How would he handle the crowds, the rides, the characters, the noise, the busses, the change in routine?
Well it was a miracle. Because we decided to go Monday and left Wed., we drove, from Tx. The whole time we played videos, reminded him we were going to mickeys house and talked about what he would see. His first ride was the monorail. I asked if we could ride up front. They said yes, and the driver gave him a monorail license. He smiled and the smile NEVER left his face for 8 days, except for 1 short meltdown! When he met mickey and minnie he hugged them and was probably the happiest he has ever been! He told Mickey, "I love you, can I live at your house?"
He wasn't afraid of anything, only disappointed he couldn't ride expedition everest and thunder mountain,but even LOVED barnstormer, maelstrom, pirates, winnie the pooh and so many many more! No night terrors!
We saw such a happiness, peacefulness within him, we knew we had to bring him here regularly.
We bought DVC so that hopefully we will be able to keep bringing him and his baby brother, so the magic will stay alive!
Our next trip is planned for May. Right now Connors daddy is in Iraq. We are praying he will be able to take his leave and join us there. That would make my little man so happy!!!!
I know compared to the stories, struggles and hardships you all go through this may seem minor, but it was a miracle I will always cherish!
Mexico seems to be a popular place! Connor loved the ride and wanted to go over...and over.... and over gain, well you get the point. The cm working there was a sweet little thing. There was absolutely no one on the ride or in line, so we went to go through the turnstile. The cm said "oh no, you are the special guest of the day you get to go this way" and she opened up a junction that let us bypass the que and go right to the dock. Then when my daughter took him again she had gotten him a special certificate and miniature mexican flag as a gift! Connor still beams when he talks about it!

Connor's story had me a bit weepy and it is amazing how he loved WDW so much.

Hugs to you and hugs and chocolates and tissues to everyone.

I know once a CM told a story of a young autistic girl, previously non-verbal, who spoke for the very first time in Turtle Talk with Crush, and the CMs at the attraction cleared out the theatre and allowed the girl a while of speaking with Crush, all by herself, while her mother bawled (happily) at the entrance of the theatre...

Amazing. My youngest son is diagnosed with PDD-NOS and had a periodfrom about 16 month- 3 years where he was almost completely non-verbal. However, we noticed that at Disney when he was 18 months he was much more engaged and more verbal. So we planned another trip 6 months later and oticed the same thing. So we had to try again- right around age 3- same amazing difference. There was no "magic moment" like in the story above- but it was definately magic for my family.

By the way he is 6 now and doing GREAT in a regular Kindergarten class with only a few accomodations in place. And he is greatly looking forward to a trip to DisneyWorld in August.

I almost don't know where to start! Every trip we've taken to the World has been filled with Magic and Pixie Dust!
My younger son has autism (he's 7 now). So many milestones he met at WDW. The first time using a public bathroom was at Epcot. The first time he ran up and hugged a costumed critter was at WDW (Mickey to be exact, now THAT was Magic)! The first time I ever heard "I Love You, Momma!" was a WDW (again, at Epcot)!!!

But of all the wonderful times our first trip to Disney stands out. We ate dinner that night at the Biergarden. My son was then just 3 years old. For the first time since his DX we saw spontaneous smiles, he actually initiated social contact with kids his own age, he danced and tried to sing with the Polka band! I was so amazed, it was like he was a "regular" kid, for the first time in a long time I could almost forget he has autism! I told our waitress about this and she asked me, "You're taking lots of pictures, right?" I sighed and told her that our cameras batteries had died out. She patted me on the shoulder and told me she'd be back. A few minutes later she came back w/ the manager. The manager told me that she'd heard about our experiences so far and asked where my son was. I pointed to him on the dance floor (his Daddy was watching nearby as my son danced with several waitresses). The manager smiled and gave me a disosable camera and told me my son's meal was on the house! :-) She even arranged for us to meet w/ the Polka Band after the dinner was all done!!!

That experience was just a hint of things to come. Whenever we've been to WDW we've been treated like royalty! No, we didn't always have super-special treatment, but we sure as heck seem to have a lot of Magic Moments. But, then again, to my son it's all magical, and what makes the pixie dust flurry all the more is watching the joy in his eyes, in his every fiber of being. The Mouse is my Hero.

Well, more than once the CMs have been extra sweet to my oldest son who has Down syndrome. We have been taken through exits to rides (at Peter Pan and at Goofy's Barnstormer), given extra time with The Genie in Epcot (Genie started chasing my son around and just playing with him), etc. I even told the CM at Barnstormer that he could wait in the regular line but she insisted. Just a sweet woman. :)

I guess the one that stands out was at the Character Connection at Epcot. My DH and his sister were on Soarin so I took my son over to meet the characters while we waited. This was in January 2006 so there wasn't a line in there like the ones I have seen lately. We went up to Mickey first and Mickey put up his hand like wait a minute and walked off. He went and got all of the other characters (Minnie, Pluto and Chip and Dale) to come over to his area to get a group photograph. It was so sweet. The only bad thing is the pictures never showed up on the photopass. They tried looking for them and never could find them. :sad1: So no picture, but I have the memory. And of course, DH wasn't there to get the picture with his camera which is something we always do just in case.

Sandra

The first time I ever heard "I Love You, Momma!" was a WDW (again, at Epcot)!!!

Oh my...:sad: :sad: :sad:

And I am out of kleenex.

That is the most precious, precious thing...I can't even imagine.

Aw...Aw...Aw...

I am speechless...

Oh my...:sad: :sad: :sad:

And I am out of kleenex.

That is the most precious, precious thing...I can't even imagine.

Aw...Aw...Aw...

I am speechless...
Sending you hugs and some tissues, around here we have lots of them in stock.pixiedust:

That was indeed very touching.

:offtopic: I need to stock up on tissues, Becky's coffee, and lots of chocolates for this board.:grouphug: pixiedust: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :hyper:

I don't think I ever posted here about this.....

But last year we stayed at the Polynesian for the first time. A real splurge for us but thought it would be great to be on the monorail for DD age 5 with autism.... We booked a standard garden view room. DH went to park the rental car while DD and I went to check in. DD was in a stroller but I didn't fasten the buckles. While I was checking in she was watching a family walk out the doors with a bunch of balloons and all of a sudden DD stands up and races out the doors after them. Of course I had to abandon my purse and the checkin process to run after her. I bring her back in and this time fasten her in the stroller and I explained to the CM checking us in that DD had autism...... He just smiled and said "here are your room keys." "Your room isn't ready but it will be in the Hawaii building, call this number in an hour and see if it is ready..." We were upgraded to the concierge building! Now I don't know if the CM could tell we needed a little pixie dust or what but it was the beginning of a wonderful stay at the Poly!!!! We were so pampered by the end of that trip!!!!

This is really a great thread. Our family has always lighted up at WDW.....one of our favorites is when tinkerbell comes down from the castle......we have seen it what seems a million times and still love it.

What I really wanted to you to know is something special. Our Aunt who was 89 when she visited WDW for the first time....(she really didn't want to go, but we coaxed her.......we were there for 9 days.....and she kept saying what are we going to do there)........Well, talking about someone lighting up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She loved all of it...the castle, tink, characters, aloha, its a small world, the parades......She couldn't wait to go back.......she was there 3 times and became the tour guide of the group!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She has since passed on, but the memories will be ours forever!!!!!!!!

These are really great stories. It is always nice to read about peoples great experience. My DS (age 6) loves Snow White, infact that is one of the few words he can say unprompted. We were at EPCOT and saw the line was closed off. So, we talked to a CM and they told us when they would be coming back. So, we waited about 15 min when she and Dopey came out. He and DD (age) were excited to meet them. He went up and interacted with her. He then reached up and brought her head down so he could give her a kiss on her cheek. Snow White then asked if she could give him a kiss, and he had a kiss on his cheek that you could see with the lipstick. He was happy and kept the lipstick on his cheek the rest of the day. The interaction that he gets from the characters make the trips worth it.

All these wonderful stories make me more firmly believe I'm right... WDW needs to be on the approved list of therapies for our kids!

All these wonderful stories make me more firmly believe I'm right... WDW needs to be on the approved list of therapies for our kids!
I wonder if you could add us adults also. I would get lots of fresh air, exercise and therapy at WDW. I cannot even get an ECV through Rascal so I doubt they would do that.

Personally I am happiest at WDW and DLR and have grown there also.

This is one of our favorite pictures. It was taken in Jan 2008. Our Emma was 4 and go to meet all the princesses and some princes:

039P1260060.jpg

and here are a few other ones from that special meeting:
049P1260072.jpg

061DSCF0302.jpg

And here we are in the parade at DHS
259DSCF0633.jpg

Disney is magical!

I thought of another one from a CM perspective. I mentioned how you all make the magic for us, and this was one of those times.

I was getting ready to go on set outside the Oasis at Animal Kingdom. As we were waiting for the other group to come in, my cell phone rang. It was my mom calling, and I immediately knew something was wrong because she never calls me. I found out my stepgrandmother had just died. Although she was technically my stepgrandmother, to me she was just grandma. She was the only grandma I had ever known on either side and my last living grandparent. It was very sudden and I knew there was no way I could make it out to Colorado for the funeral.

Our captain came in and the other performers in my group told him what happened. He asked me if I wanted to go home and I told him no, I would finish out the day as that was my last set. Honestly, having to go out there and smile and be happy was a lot better than stewing over it. It gave me some time to get some perspective. I actually ended up going out about 5 minutes early because my a kid with chicken pox hugged my partner and they could not allow her to come in contact with other kids.

It was one of the best sets in my life. It helped me to hold it together and to remember that life goes on. When I got backstage I was given a Great Service Fanatic, a recognition program for CMs who go above and beyond. It was the guests who really helped me through that day and made the magic for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter