• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fast Pass Booklets

Hey, here's a crazy idea...let's look at the world's most visited theme park to see how they do things!

Tokyo Disneyland, which is certainly comparable to the parks in WDW for comparison purposes, uses a three-tiered admission as I understand it.

1)Unlimited use of the place like the only admissions sold at WDW
2)Limited rides -but in the park for ambience, shopping, etc.
3)NO rides, just admission

I believe they use color coded wrist bands, with puch outs on the limited bands.
Such a system might increase revenue by increasing park traffic-capturing a lot of people who might otherwise just stay away for a day or their whole vacation because it is not worth it to them to go for unlimited admission everyday. Somehow Tokyo makes this work so I don't think you can shoot this idea down on principle. Epcot probably would see the biggest uptick in Admission # 3's sold, but would likely see a decrease in #1's...I suspect the difference could be made up in food/beverage,souvenirs,etc and with appropriate pricing between the three options this is something I am surprised US Disney has not explored. (or have they, Mr A-V?)

Paul

Yes I know this has been said before (by me) but I think it's a major problem and why I don't think this should be or will be a huge money maker for Disney. The must limit the number of these type of passes or crowd contorl is impossible or near to it.
There are a set number of FP's for each day. When they're gone, they're gone. The new passes would be part of that overall number of FP's. Which passes do you think will be limited; the ones that make money or the ones that don't? IMO, the regular FPs will run out about an hour sooner than they do now.

Originally posted by HorizonsFan

There are a set number of FP's for each day. When they're gone, they're gone. The new passes would be part of that overall number of FP's. Which passes do you think will be limited; the ones that make money or the ones that don't? IMO, the regular FPs will run out about an hour sooner than they do now.

The "sold" passes will be limited. There is no return time for those passes. Disney/Universal no longer can contol the crowd patterns with those types of passes. Universal already limits the number of Express Passes that are sold in these books. The number I heard was 5000 per day. Free fastpasses/Expresspasses are already limited each day not sure of the numbers here. There is a breaking point to the this system where the Fastpass/Express line becomes a longer wait then people are willing to pay/or schedual time for(in the case of the "free" ones).

If they follow the model set at DL/DCA, the "premium" FP's will not have a return time but will have a date (you get so many per day for the length of your stay). I think the system could also easily be tweaked to allow the FP taker to enter when a "premium" FP has been used so that a regular FP can be removed from the total number for that day.
Any number of scenarios are possible; I just think that if there's a choice between limiting something that's free and something that makes money, free loses every time.

Originally posted by HorizonsFan
I just think that if there's a choice between limiting something that's free and something that makes money, free loses every time.

Yep that is excatly why I don't like this idea. We might ended up paying for someting that once was free. There is another issue I'm not sure how much Disney and Universal have invested in the software and the hardware for the Fast/Express pass machines but that might keep them from doing away with the current free passes; however I can see them retrofitting a Credit Card reader and a bill changer to the machines I can see the ad's now....."with just a small charge to your Credit Card you can have front of the line access, if you don't have a credit card we also take checks and cash as well as namig rights to your first born child "

I just found this thread (working a whole lot lately) so I only read the first page... don't know if this has already been covered, but...
It seems to me that there is a slight backlash forming against WDW for something that "that other place" is doing. No anger directed at the company actually imposing a caste system, but instead directed at WDW for possibly doing it in the future (even though that is a conclusion that was jumped to by posters...) What's that about?

I really think that the title should be "U-------l Express Pass Booklets" to avoid at least a little confusion, but maybe that's just me.

Maybe you should go back and read the whole thread. I don't see any anger. Just people talking about something that might or is likley to happen. I think its a very valid point that if Universal is doing something then Disney might also attempt the same thing and it goes the other way as well. Some people like the idea of paid fastpasses or express passes and some don't. You might want to take a look at the other threads on the News and Rumors board, as they tend to follow the same pattern. There is no "confusion" if you read the thread. I hope that you don't read the Newspaper that way? Just the headlines ? :)

This is extremely limited but when you do the Sunrise Saferi, they give you a fast pass that is good for the entire day on any ride at AK. I got a regular fast pass after doing the Sunrise Saferi and then used my special fast pass to ride the ride twice without waiting. My wife used her special fast pass later at Kali. Again, the Sunrise Saferi is now limited to AKL concierge guests and is an additional charge but Disney has the ability to issue special fast passes.

WFH....

I think there's a significant difference between saying "I don't like X" and "Disney should make business decisions based on X not being liked."

No worries. There is no disagreeing with someone's personal feelings (that it would be unfair - however, I think you did disagree with the idea that it is unfair, right?) but you do disagree that Disney would factor into their decision that some might feel it is unfair. You are probably right, but I still think they might get some bad press if they did it. As much as many complain about having to pay for E night to get what used to be free, those complaints would pale in comparison to what would be seen if they did the pay for play fastpasses, IMO. There is no mistake in looking for clarification ;). I somehow got the impression you were calling me on stating that the idea would be unfair when you feel it isn't. Perhaps my mistake.

I think you did disagree with the idea that it is unfair, right?
I don't think a person could make a logical case that the FP booklet concept was unfair, unless one was taking the really long way home to try to say that American capitalism is inherently unfair.

Under the rules everyone currently plays by, it's solid gold "fair" to give someone extra service for extra money.
There is no disagreeing with someone's personal feelings
Right. It does no one any good to devalue someone's feelings. The fact that I can't make a logical case to defend all of my own feelings does not make them any less real to me.

But I could understand someone telling me, "those feelings aren't a compelling reason for Disney to make that decision," simply _because_ our feelings aren't always rational.
I somehow got the impression you were calling me on stating that the idea would be unfair when you feel it isn't.
For me, part of the reason for being here is to weigh the Rumors we see with the way it seems to me the business is being run, and to speculate on which Rumors are the most likely to re-cross our path as News.

As it happens, it looks like we do disagree somewhat on the fairness issue (although it may be mostly semantics). But, why should we bother ourselves over that, because, let's be real, what you and I think about this doesn't amount to doodley-squat. The important question is "what does Disney think about this?"

When I cross-reference my best answer to that question with the current topic, I can say it is overwhelmingly likely that we'll see a pay-for-play FastPass at WDW in some form or another.

-WFH

Steve, I understand where you are coming from, and some of the posts could read that way. But I think most realize this is just speculation, and they are just expressing their opinions on the "what if" scenario.

Thanks for providing a reality check.

Steve, I understand where you are coming from, and some of the posts could read that way. But I think most realize this is just speculation, and they are just expressing their opinions on the "what if" scenario.

Thanks for providing a reality check.

I read through this thread pretty quick so I might have missed something, but has anyone thought of Fast Pass as a replacement for the missing early entry. Now that Fast Pass has been in use for a little while and everyone, including "Day Guests" have had the opportunity to see the benefit, Disney could use this as a perk for staying on site. What if Fast Pass was usable only for guests staying at Disney World Resort? This would obvioulsy upset many people but might be an enticement to stay on site. And with the new Pop Century resort on the horizon, Disney will have many rooms to fill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter