Fastpass return or replacement?

If they actually pay attention to these boards, I hope they get the clear and resounding message "don't even think about doing this!"
I have to assume that if they've reached the point where implementation of such a system in the coming weeks is a possibility they long ago passed the point of no return on actually moving forward with it. The amount of work this would seem to entail makes me think scrapping it at the last second would be out of the question regardless of any customer backlash. Now is it possible they could end up biting the bullet and getting rid of it after getting numerous complaints once it's been in play for a while? Sure, I could see that but I expect if the rumors are true they are committed to implementing it and seeing how people react rather than just letting some social media negativity sidetrack them.

Price point is way too low for the above to work.

Maybe $499 for unlimited, $199 for 3, and $129 for none.

And that may still be too low, honestly.

I don't see any unlimited option ever existing.

My imaginary prices were lower than current Disney trends but realistic for normal inflation. As it is right now it’s around $129 for none (varies by day) and that’s a hike from pre-Covid when tickets were lower AND came with fast passes. Your numbers above may fit into Disney’s current greedy price schemes, but it doesn’t befit what Disney always has been in the past, and doesn’t come close to the value shown in competing theme parks in the area.

My imaginary prices were lower than current Disney trends but realistic for normal inflation. As it is right now it’s around $129 for none (varies by day) and that’s a hike from pre-Covid when tickets were lower AND came with fast passes. Your numbers above may fit into Disney’s current greedy price schemes, but it doesn’t befit what Disney always has been in the past, and doesn’t come close to the value shown in competing theme parks in the area.

I like to prepare for disappointment

Nothing in the rumors explain what exactly is included with the ‘complimentary’ system(s). That answer can make or break the reception.

I think that is a common theme. This is a general idea of how it works, but there are way to many holes (including price points). What I am hoping is this rumor will force Disney's hand to actually publish information about the system.

If they actually pay attention to these boards, I hope they get the clear and resounding message "don't even think about doing this!"
I’m sure that Disney have someone who monitors the various boards - it’s all useful data (and they can at least track information leaks 😊 ). I suspect that very little of what’s posted by people is of much help to them, though.

I have to assume that if they've reached the point where implementation of such a system in the coming weeks is a possibility they long ago passed the point of no return on actually moving forward with it. The amount of work this would seem to entail makes me think scrapping it at the last second would be out of the question regardless of any customer backlash. Now is it possible they could end up biting the bullet and getting rid of it after getting numerous complaints once it's been in play for a while? Sure, I could see that but I expect if the rumors are true they are committed to implementing it and seeing how people react rather than just letting some social media negativity sidetrack them.
I also believe that they will move forward, undeterred by potential backlash. I think a new pay system will not only apply to rides/shows but also to character meet and greets. Can anyone think of something else Disney tried to monetize that ended up being reversed? There may be something, but I can't think of anything at the moment.

Nothing in the rumors explain what exactly is included with the ‘complimentary’ system(s). That answer can make or break the reception.
I don't know. It sounded pretty clear cut to me:
<snip>
Genie Basic - Free but only allows you to book a time to join the standby line. Once in the standby line you have to wait the same as everyone else.
<snip>
Genie Favourite Attractions - Free and allows you to identify a specific number of favourite attractions. You then 'may' receive an alert informing you when the standby line is low. Only some folks will receive that message though so the attraction isn't overloaded.
<snip>
Standby - (most but not all attractions) - traditional walk up and wait.
<snip>
[Edited to include only the free options]

I’m sure that Disney have someone who monitors the various boards - it’s all useful data (and they can at least track information leaks 😊 ). I suspect that very little of what’s posted by people is of much help to them, though.

Oh, they definitely do monitor this stuff, or most likely has a vendor that provides intel on such things. It's tricky to cut through the noise and actually get actionable information from that though. I wouldn't say they dismiss it outright, but it's likely a very small factor in the overall scheme of things.

Last edited:
I'll probably spin up a separate thread to discuss this article series, but part of me is really sympathetic to Cory Doctorow's arguments in this series of essays that everything Disney has done since abandoning the ticket books has made things worse.

I don't know if it's possible to get back to the old park psychology -- people's expectations are just different now, and that Genie can't be put back in the App (err, bottle) -- but attempts to solve the problems of too much demand by inducing even more demand, well, that's not working out so well.

I do recommend reading this entire series of articles. I have definitely quibbles, and he has a particular view of Disney history, but overall it's a very interesting story to tell.

Yeah, I am not much for complaining, but if I get stuck on a ride or it malfunctions after I just paid $xxx for a lightening pass, I am definitely going to talk to a cast member about it.
Yeah, that's an interesting point. On my last ride on Haunted Mansion it stopped like a half dozen times during the ride, once pretty long. Of course, it was what it was, and we chalked it up to "oh well." But if I had just paid $20 per person for my family of four to ride it, I'd darn well better be getting a refund.

And so far no rumor of anything for onsite guests besides those weak EMH hours for deluxe. That can be
a break for some vs staying offsite.

Last edited:
Price point is way too low for the above to work.

Maybe $499 for unlimited, $199 for 3, and $129 for none.

And that may still be too low, honestly.

I don't see any unlimited option ever existing.
$499 for unlimited is way too low. Disney does not have the capacity relative to their actual guest numbers to pull off an unlimited fastpass in any fashion other then those insanely priced VIP tours.

$499 for unlimited is way too low. Disney does not have the capacity relative to their actual guest numbers to pull off an unlimited fastpass in any fashion other then those insanely priced VIP tours.

To be fair, when I suggested unlimited I meant the way fast passes used to be. You got 3 free then when they were used up you could get one at a time until the park closed. Not unlimited where you could fire off one ride after another like a VIP’er.

Yeah, that's an interesting point. On my last ride on Haunted Mansion it stopped like a half dozen times during the ride, once pretty long. Of course, it was what it was, and we chalked it up to "oh well." But if I had just paid $20 per person for my family of four to ride it, I'd darn well better be getting a refund.
It is far from unusual to stop quite often on Omnimover-style rides due to them needing to stop so people who have mobility difficulties can get on. I've experienced that on and off for as long as I can remember, many times even more than that.

Mybe they could offer 3 and then instead of unlimited offer every ride in that park for some price instead of unlimited

The billion dollar cost of FP+ has always been “baked” into the already exorbitant ticket cost, meaning we have all been paying for FP+ from day 1 of FP+ existence. All these crazy rumors are just that, crazy rumors and I believe most to be hogwash, or click-bait depending on the rumor source. With no factual knowledge available to the public people seemingly are losing their minds. Odds are FP+ will return much as it was, but probably restructured with on-site Guests to be more favored than off-site Guests than previously, along with the park reservation requirements factored in… There is just no way something “complicated” will be introduced, the lines at Guest Services would be insane and major blow back would be inevitable. If any major changes are made, it would need to lean towards simplicity and elegance, not complicated. Me personally, other than they issued too many FP’s sometimes, FP+ is great just how it is/was. I hope it comes back just slightly “improved” – no need to reinvent the wheel.
D

As many others have said, the only true solution… a 5th gate; Or significantly expanded parks with more attractions to spread the crowds.

If these rumors are true, I'll be one of the people not going as often (no more yearly trips more like once every 5 to 10) but taking advantage of paid upgrades to do the handful of new things I want to do.

I think what's still unclear with these rumors is exactly what rides will come with the price tag or even the virtual standby queues. I imagine some of the rides (maybe the omni movers like Little Mermaid and Nemo) that have FP+ now would have to be converted back to standby only. You can't have every ride in every park be only available with a fee or VQ.Those people waiting for their return times on the free genie option have to have somewhere to go or something to do while they can't be in a physical queue.

The shops and restaurants don't have enough capacity either.

I'd also like to know if genie is going to be tied to MDE where we do literally everything else of if it will be a separate app. I don't want to have to manage dining, park entry and room charges in one place and rides in another.

I agree. Unlimited will never be an option.

Maybe you can pay for each one as much as you want, so unlimited depending on your wealth

The billion dollar cost of FP+ has always been “baked” into the already exorbitant ticket cost, meaning we have all been paying for FP+ from day 1 of FP+ existence. All these crazy rumors are just that, crazy rumors and I believe most to be hogwash, or click-bait depending on the rumor source. With no factual knowledge available to the public people seemingly are losing their minds. Odds are FP+ will return much as it was, but probably restructured with on-site Guests to be more favored than off-site Guests than previously, along with the park reservation requirements factored in… There is just no way something “complicated” will be introduced, the lines at Guest Services would be insane and major blow back would be inevitable. If any major changes are made, it would need to lean towards simplicity and elegance, not complicated. Me personally, other than they issued too many FP’s sometimes, FP+ is great just how it is/was. I hope it comes back just slightly “improved” – no need to reinvent the wheel.
D

As many others have said, the only true solution… a 5th gate; Or significantly expanded parks with more attractions to spread the crowds.

I'll settle for expanded hours.

Give me 2015-2017 MK summer hours!

There just seems to be a lot of "smoke" surrounding paid FP. I hope it doesn't come to fruition, but I'm starting to come to terms with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter