Filters

Bete

DIS Veteran
I just bought a high definition video camcorder and I was told by the merchant to protect the lens by using a nuetral density filter or another type of filter of my choice on it. This may be more of a sales pitch.

I think the idea here is that if the camera takes a shock of any kind to the lens, the filter takes the blow and not the lens. I can see some truth to this helping out. I do have a 4 year insurance plan on the camera; so, I'm not sure I should care about doing this or not.

Also, I'm not sure I want to do this; because, I don't anticipate using the camera that much and I'm careful with it and I'm not sure how a filter will affect my video.

I'm sure you can use the same logic about a filter for a digital camera, too.

Are there any opinions out there on this matter?

If he told you to put a neutral density filter on it, then he has no idea what he is even talking about. Those are used to reduce the amount of light going in, to force a slow shutter speed. I cannot think of a time that would ever be desired on a video camera.

UV filters are what are normally used for protection. I would not use one because any filter is going to degrade the quality of the image. Also, if you have the extended warranty that covers damage, who cares.

Kevin

I agree with Kevin that an ND filter is definitely the wrong option for lens protection. An ND filter can be useful in allowing you to use a wider aperture in bright light with a low shutter speed, but it's not for everyday use.

The argument over whether to use a UV filter (essentially a clear piece of glass) or not is a long and sometimes bitter one. My view is that, provided that you buy a good one, it's not a big deal either way.

In most situations, you'll won't be able to detect any difference in the appearance between a shot taken with or without a UV filter. It won't be less sharp, lower in contrast, etc. The image degredation that are likely to see comes from two possible sources. First, because it sits in front of your lens, it increases the possibility of stray light hitting it and getting into your camera, thus washing out your shot. Second, because it adds a flat surface to your optical path, it increases the chance that bright lights in your photograph will reflect on it giving you flare problems. So in most cases it won't make an optical difference but in a few cases it will significantly degrade the image quality. You can mitigate those problems by using a lens hood to protect from stray light and using a multi-coated filter to reduce the chances of reflections.

Assuming that you always use a lens hood on your camera and video camera, scratching or breaking your front lens element is a pretty low risk. It happens, but it's not very common. In all my years of photography and video, I've never scratched a filter or front lens element in a significant way and I've taken cameras in all sorts of insane places and in sorts of conditions. I've seen other posters that you shattered UV filters in falls. Whether the front lens element (presumably much stronger than a UV filter) would have been harmed without the filter is not determinable.

So the trade-off as I see it is between spending a lot of money on a good UV filter to provide a small measure of protection against lens scratches and adding a small risk of optical problems or saving your money and risking more scratches. My advice is to always use a lens hood on your camera and video camera, whichever choice you make. For the UV filter, you have to decide based on your risk tolerance.

Traveling to the world next week and I was wondering what you suggest as the best filter for my lens? I have both UV and Polorizer for both the lens I plan to use but am not sure which I should use for the best shots and colors.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

Only use the UV if you think you need it for lens protection. It does nothing to the results on a digital other than making it a little less sharp and possibly introducing flare (I am assuming you are using a digital). Also, do not stack it with the polarizer.

The polarizer is best for when there are reflections off of non-metallic surfaces (i.e. glass, water, etc.) and the sky when the sun is not directly overhead. If it is say 10AM-2PM, it is likely not going to do much for the sky. Also, it will not do anything if you are in line with the sun. You need to be at angles to the sun. Also, be careful of the effect if you are using it at a very wide angle (i.e. 18mm on a DSLR lens) b/c it can make the effect inconsistent across the field of view. One last word of advice on the CP; just like the UV filter, I would keep it off unless I needed it for the shot.

If you have a lens hood, it can be very helpful at WDW for protection and keeping unwanted light out.

Kevin

For years, I insisted on keeping a UV filter on all my lenses, mostly for pretection. Then after reading many posts here about the evils of UV filters ;), I decided to remove them all. I don't know if I just had better shooting conditions this time, or finally have my D70s tweeked just right, but the color and clarity of my last batch of shots was way better than anything I'd shot at WDW before. So I'm now a firm believer in no UV filters. I probably could have used a good circular polarizer on one or two shots, but my general opinion now is to leave those filters off.

I'd forget about your UV and stick with CPL (unless inside or at night). UV in my opinion, is good only for protecting your glass. I kept my CPL on virtually the entire time i was there.

The downside of the CPL is that you lose 2 (??) stops (or EV if we're wearing Sunday clothes). Even somewhere as bright as Florida, that might be important - especially when it's raining.

Are you planning on shooting scenics at the World, or pics of family and friends enjoying themselves? If it's the latter, I'd probably suggest you leave the CPL in the hotel room.

regards,
/alan

True, you do lose a stop or two, depending on its setting, but nothing beats those bright blue skies. In my opinion, having a great blue sky, even on portrait photos, really makes a photo. Blown out skies really detract. CPLs also help with "out of control" reflections on glass/water. I would definitely take it off later in the afternoon/evening, after the harsh midday sun takes a backseat to the nice lighting.

No filter
everest_np_5725.jpg

Polarizer
everest_cp_5726.jpg

These were taken a couple minutes apart to prove a point about using a polarizer. If you have enough light, use it (but not with a UV filter, which I never use anyway).

Thanks for all the great info, I think I will try the CP and see what type of results I am getting. I won't use the UV filter based on everyones' suggestions here and yes I will use the lens hood as well.

I received my new lens today, the Oly 70-300 so I will be playing with that alot this weekend to practice. I can't wait to try it out at AK as well.

Thanks again

I won't use the UV filter based on everyones' suggestions here ...

I would strongly suggest a UV filter for lens protection. If you use a quality multi-coated filter, there will no noticable image degregation.

Use of a polarizer filter requires practice. The polarizer must be adjusted for each shot. If you go too far, the sky will look unnatural.

-Paul

If you have a lens hood on and you're not carelessly swinging your camera around, you really don't need to worry about using a UV filter for protection. It will degrade the sharpness of your photos, even if it's just a slight amount.

Does anyone know what Cokin kit I would buy to get a nice selection of ND filters for the Canon 30D? I see on the Cokin website that I would be best suited with a "P" series kit as it would be large enough for all my lenses. I would need to buy the adapter rings for my specific lenses, but they seem to offer a kit of 3 ND filters and then they offer a DSLR kit with only one filter. Is this a gimmick? Do I NEED to buy the Canon DSLR Cokin kit, or would the regular one work just as well? I'm not sure what makes the different brands of DSLR kits different? Seems silly if you ask me but maybe the lenses from different manufacturers have different threads? I'm confused. :confused: It seems to me that with the exception of the adapter rings to fit my lens diameter, this kit would be the best for me at this time.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387434-REG/Cokin_H250_Graduated_Neutral_Density_Filter.html

I am assuming I can buy new different "P" series filters to fit this as time goes on. Please let me know if I am missing something here. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know what Cokin kit I would buy to get a nice selection of ND filters for the Canon 30D? I see on the Cokin website that I would be best suited with a "P" series kit as it would be large enough for all my lenses. I would need to buy the adapter rings for my specific lenses, but they seem to offer a kit of 3 ND filters and then they offer a DSLR kit with only one filter. Is this a gimmick? Do I NEED to buy the Canon DSLR Cokin kit, or would the regular one work just as well? I'm not sure what makes the different brands of DSLR kits different? Seems silly if you ask me but maybe the lenses from different manufacturers have different threads? I'm confused. :confused: It seems to me that with the exception of the adapter rings to fit my lens diameter, this kit would be the best for me at this time.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387434-REG/Cokin_H250_Graduated_Neutral_Density_Filter.html

I am assuming I can buy new different "P" series filters to fit this as time goes on. Please let me know if I am missing something here. Thanks in advance.

that is the one i was going to buy...there is a different use for the different filters...if i can find the article i read about it i'll post it. my adapter doesn't say anything about canon...it screws on like a step up ring ( don't think there is a camera brand specifity with them either) but has a wide top edge that is much wider than the normal step up ring( horizontally) so the holder fits on that...don't think a normal step up ring would work for that. you slide the hold on it and it locks in place then it has grooves where the filters slide in. you can use step up rings to use the one holder and adapter on other lenses( ie my 67-72 ring for my f4 lens ) i have the middle one since that was the one the article said get first but it was almost 30(?) for one so imo the kit is a better deal and some include an adapter ring( get the size for your largest lens) and the holder as well as the filters, i had to buy the adapter ring seperately( think it was about $10 if i remember right)

this has tons of info on them
http://www.geocities.com/COKINFILTERSYSTEM/howitworks.htm

i do see it is out of stock which was the problem i ran into, maybe be some kind of problem with the manufacture since no one had them? which is why i got mine at dodd camera and even they had to get it from another store

http://www.geocities.com/COKINFILTERSYSTEM/gradual_gray.htm

that is the one i was going to buy...there is a different use for the different filters...if i can find the article i read about it i'll post it. my adapter doesn't say anything about canon...it screws on like a step up ring ( don't think there is a camera brand specifity with them either) but has a wide top edge that is much wider than the normal step up ring( horizontally) so the holder fits on that...don't think a normal step up ring would work for that. you slide the hold on it and it locks in place then it has grooves where the filters slide in. you can use step up rings to use the one holder and adapter on other lenses( ie my 67-72 ring for my f4 lens ) i have the middle one since that was the one the article said get first but it was almost 30(?) for one so imo the kit is a better deal and some include an adapter ring( get the size for your largest lens) and the holder as well as the filters, i had to buy the adapter ring seperately( think it was about $10 if i remember right)

Yeah, that is what I thought. I think the "P" series will fit up to larger than my largest lens. I think that would be 77mm diameter. I should be good to go with that, I would just need to make sure that i had all the adapter rings to fit my 3 lenses, I guess. Seems like a bulky system, but very useful I would imagine. I had one similar to it for my film camera, but I bought the round filters to put into it. That's why it looked a little different to me. This holds both square and round I think. My old one probably did too, I just never bought the square ones I guess. That feels like it was 100 years ago, so I just can't remember my thinking. I also only used my camera on AUTO at that point... :scared1:

Yeah, I'm not liking the OUT OF STOCK thing either.

That may be a manufacturer thing going on there as the Ritz site has them listed as "Quantaray by Cokin filters". You can buy the individual parts from Ritz. Adapter rings, the filter holder and (I assume) the filters themselves. Might not end up being cheaper, but it is available at least.

Yeah, that is what I thought. I think the "P" series will fit up to larger than my largest lens. I think that would be 77mm diameter. I should be good to go with that, I would just need to make sure that i had all the adapter rings to fit my 3 lenses, I guess. Seems like a bulky system, but very useful I would imagine. I had one similar to it for my film camera, but I bought the round filters to put into it. That's why it looked a little different to me. This holds both square and round I think. My old one probably did too, I just never bought the square ones I guess. That feels like it was 100 years ago, so I just can't remember my thinking. I also only used my camera on AUTO at that point... :scared1:

Yeah, I'm not liking the OUT OF STOCK thing either.
the only thing i was a little put off by using it was since the filter is right out there, i wonder how easy it would be to scratch it..if you had an old set, unless it's to small you might be able to get another ring...i got the "p" as well.

the only thing i was a little put off by using it was since the filter is right out there, i wonder how easy it would be to scratch it..if you had an old set, unless it's to small you might be able to get another ring...i got the "p" as well.

My old one (If I can even find it) was pretty small. It may fit the 50mm 1.8, but I'm not sure it is worth my hassle to find it. I'm sure it is beat up by now if I did find it. For some reason it wasn't in my old camera bag so the search would be extensive! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter