Fireworks/parade disabled section w/o DAS

Mousetopia

DIS Veteran
I do not have DAS. Do you need to show DAS "credentials" to use handicapped parade, fireworks sections in the parks? I read a complaint on another site that a person on a scooter was turned away and told only certain disabilties could use the area..seemed suspect. Please post experiences. Thank you!

The wheelchair viewing areas are for people with wheelchairs and scooters and rollators. Basically people that are short and can't stand up to see the fireworks. Sometimes they allow people with a DAS but no mobility device to enter the area, sometimes now. It seems to depend on the cast member working the area and how many mobility devices they have there.

I have never had a problem being admitted with my wheelchair (without telling them about my DAS) as long as there is room for me.

I have a DAS and no mobility device.

I have used the area a number of times this is my exsparince with using the area

they open the area about 90 minutes before the firer works

For none mobility device you get the amount of room of a wheelchair

Once in the area your spot is saved ( I would wait for the people on both sides of you to come in) you then can come and go as you pleases ( like to get food use the bathroom)

once the area is full no one can enter the area

I do not have DAS. Do you need to show DAS "credentials" to use handicapped parade, fireworks sections in the parks? I read a complaint on another site that a person on a scooter was turned away and told only certain disabilties could use the area..seemed suspect. Please post experiences. Thank you!
Those areas ARE for people with mobility devices. You should not be turned away unless full.

We have been turned away several times at EPCOT because we do not have a mobility device, only a DAS. A couple times we used for parade at MK but were told if mobility devices continue to show up and they are out of room, they will ask us to drop our party to two or leave altogether because devices have priority.

The wheelchair viewing areas are for people with wheelchairs and scooters and rollators. Basically people that are short and can't stand up to see the fireworks. Sometimes they allow people with a DAS but no mobility device to enter the area, sometimes now. It seems to depend on the cast member working the area and how many mobility devices they have there.

I have never had a problem being admitted with my wheelchair (without telling them about my DAS) as long as there is room for me.
I agree. That has also been our experienc.
My daughter uses a wheelchair and has DAS for disability related issues that are not related to mobility. We have used the areas just with the wheelchair

In 2019 we had a large group of older teens (maybe adults) with their parents in the disabilities viewing area for the Halloween parade at the MK. They were sitting at the front edge with many wheelchair/ECV people behind them (I was along the edge a couple of people down from them). People behind them complained because they were standing in front of others who couldn't stand but CM's didn't do anything really. It was awful for the woman in the power chair next to them...I was just annoyed but they were all over her jumping up and down and what not.

No one has ever asked me about a DAS - I use an ECV and have had no problem using those viewing areas unless they are full. I've also seen them let in about 10 family members with the person in a WC/ECV and not seen anyone make them move if the area got full. At Epcot be prepared for family members to stand up when Harmonious starts and block your view unless you are up front. I have zero problems with anyone not in a WC/ECV using that space as long as they try not to block others who are seated (just to be clear on that!).

We have been admitted to Epcot viewing areas in the past with no issues with the "stroller as wheelchair" tag - we were never asked about DAS and we never brought it up....

In 2019 we had a large group of older teens (maybe adults) with their parents in the disabilities viewing area for the Halloween parade at the MK. They were sitting at the front edge with many wheelchair/ECV people behind them (I was along the edge a couple of people down from them). People behind them complained because they were standing in front of others who couldn't stand but CM's didn't do anything really. It was awful for the woman in the power chair next to them...I was just annoyed but they were all over her jumping up and down and what not.

No one has ever asked me about a DAS - I use an ECV and have had no problem using those viewing areas unless they are full. I've also seen them let in about 10 family members with the person in a WC/ECV and not seen anyone make them move if the area got full. At Epcot be prepared for family members to stand up when Harmonious starts and block your view unless you are up front. I have zero problems with anyone not in a WC/ECV using that space as long as they try not to block others who are seated (just to be clear on that!).
Your experience was similar to mine, also at the Halloween parade. There were six of us, but only my husband was with me in the disabled area. Our other family members did not come into our area. We were there early. Later, a gentleman (and I use the term loosely) parked next to me with four other family members. When the parade started, his wife stood next to the front of his ECV, totally blocking my view. My husband stood behind me so as not to block the view of others. He nicely asked the woman if she could stand behind her husband because she was blocking my view. Her husband then started yelling at my husband and an argument then started. I called over a CM about the situation. Instead of asking the woman to stand behind her husband, she said that I could see the parade as it passes in front of me. Needless to say, I never got to see the front of the parade coming down the street and only saw the side, because the CM was intimidated by the guy next to us. After that, we left the park and have never attended a special event again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter