• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Cruise Help

Shrfleen

DIS Veteran
We are thinking about doing something different next year and trying out a Disney cruise.
It will most likely be all adults, sometime in late 2018 or early 2019.

None of us have ever been on a cruise ship before.

How long would you recommend for your first cruise? What are somethings we should know? Any information helps, thank you!

We are thinking about doing something different next year and trying out a Disney cruise.

None of us have ever been on a cruise ship before.

How long would you recommend for your first cruise? What are somethings we should know? Any information helps, thank you!
Well, my first cruise was 15 nights.

Most people seem to start with something shorter. 3 or 4 nights. I feel those are too short.

Really depends on what itinerary interests you the most. That will help determine how long your first cruise might be.

I agree with Shmoo. The 3-4 night cruises are too short and the dynamic is very different. We have done 5 cruises with our first being 7 nights. We've only done one 4 night and felt too rushed! Things I wished I would have known: wine package is great, buy photos in advance for the discount, you can always change your mind, go to the shows, do the later dinner so your day is not so rushed, and book your next cruise while aboard! Most of all...Enjoy!

Well, my first cruise was 15 nights.

Most people seem to start with something shorter. 3 or 4 nights. I feel those are too short.

Really depends on what itinerary interests you the most. That will help determine how long your first cruise might be.

I have been looking at the 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise. I really want to explore what the ship has to offer so I think a longer cruise would be nice.

I have been looking at the 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise. I really want to explore what the ship has to offer so I think a longer cruise would be nice.
Well, my preference is no shorter than 7 nights. I have done shorter, only because it was the only choice I had, if I wanted to do the Dream.

I agree with Shmoo. The 3-4 night cruises are too short and the dynamic is very different. We have done 5 cruises with our first being 7 nights. We've only done one 4 night and felt too rushed! Things I wished I would have known: wine package is great, buy photos in advance for the discount, you can always change your mind, go to the shows, do the later dinner so your day is not so rushed, and book your next cruise while aboard! Most of all...Enjoy!

These are great tips, thank you. Was there something you would have changed about your cruise?

Our first cruise is the Eastern Caribbean on Nov 3, 2018 for 7 nights. I was also contemplating how long I wanted our first cruise to be and settled on 7 nights. I knew 3 was out, 4 nights was a maybe but talked my hubby into the 7-nt. Can't wait! I'm looking forward to exploring the ship on those sea days!

I don't know what ports you are thinking, but especially with all adults Caribbean or European makes sense.
It also depends on what Port you want to leave from
There are a couple 6 night Caribbean but they leave from Galveston

I don't know what ports you are thinking, but especially with all adults Caribbean or European makes sense.
It also depends on what Port you want to leave from
There are a couple 6 night Caribbean but they leave from Galveston

Any port in the United States would be fine. If I'm going to Europe it would be a much longer trip on land lol

I agree with everyone to do the 7 night cruise. I did it for my first cruise, and my husband and I did a 4 day (his first) and I feel we didn't get to explore the ship enough. I would look at ports and what you are hoping to get out of a cruise. If you want to enjoy the ship, do more sea days. I feel Castaway Cay is a must! So I would do a cruise out of Florida.

We did the 4 -night Bahamas on The Dream last year as our first and it was FAR too fast. We chose 4 nights because I am scared of boats and my FIL gets seasick. LOL. How did we agree to cruise!? However, we were so sad when it was over and wished we would have chose a 7-night!

These are great tips, thank you. Was there something you would have changed about your cruise?

My first cruise, just what I mentioned above. My last cruise, yes, it was too short. I would also plan Alaska for June or July and not May because ours was cold! I love the Magic and the Wonder because they are smaller, which equates to fewer people.

Our first 2 cruises were 4 nights on the dream and I thought it was perfect but we shared it with a trip to WDW for a total of 9 nights so it was a nice long vacation. Our next cruise is a 5 night and we are really looking forward to the extra night. You really have to consider budget in deciding if we could afford it I'd live on the ship ;) sometimes one extra night can be $1500 depending on the intinery. I like to find the cruises we are considering and devide it per a night $$ and go with the more bang for your buck. In our situation we really wanted to go to Alaska but it was averaging $800 a night each and Miami was only $300 so we're going to miami

I agree with everyone about the 7 day cruise being the perfect first cruise length. Your first and last days are spent getting settled and then getting off the boat leaving you with 5 days to do excursions and explore the boat.

Other tips are:
1. The food is usually awesome so bring clothes that will accommodate the possibility of feeling bloated at the end. A cruise is not the time to be on a diet!
2. If you like adult beverages get the drink package. Chances are you'll spend more on drinks anyway as they get pretty pricey. If you're not sure and then wish you had bought the drink package keep in mind they usually run a half price promotion half way through the cruise (at least this have been our experience on other cruise lines).
3. Spend the money and buy at least one drink out of a hulled pineapple or coconut. Take a picture! Trust me, this is a fun keepsake.:thumbsup2
4. Bring some zip lock gallon baggies and a small box of powdered laundry detergent. This way you can wash your swim suits (plus under garments!) in the small sink in your room without spending the arm and a leg they'll charge you for laundry service. The rest of your clothes can usually be re-organize if needed but the Carribean sun is no joke and you're going to want to clean the things you sweat the most in. ::yes::
5. Excursions get expensive but I always recommend splurging on at least one. You may never have an opportunity to swim with dolphins in in turquoise waters or zipline thru a jungle canopy again. Our last cruise we splurged on a zipline and river rafting trip and it was some of the best memories we've ever made. We had so much fun and I don't regret spending the extra $ on the one we really wanted.

I could talk cruising all day but these are the big ones that I can think of off the top of my head. :flower1:

I agree with everyone about the 7 day cruise being the perfect first cruise length. Your first and last days are spent getting settled and then getting off the boat leaving you with 5 days to do excursions and explore the boat.

Other tips are:
1. The food is usually awesome so bring clothes that will accommodate the possibility of feeling bloated at the end. A cruise is not the time to be on a diet!
2. If you like adult beverages get the drink package. Chances are you'll spend more on drinks anyway as they get pretty pricey. If you're not sure and then wish you had bought the drink package keep in mind they usually run a half price promotion half way through the cruise (at least this have been our experience on other cruise lines).
3. Spend the money and buy at least one drink out of a hulled pineapple or coconut. Take a picture! Trust me, this is a fun keepsake.:thumbsup2
4. Bring some zip lock gallon baggies and a small box of powdered laundry detergent. This way you can wash your swim suits (plus under garments!) in the small sink in your room without spending the arm and a leg they'll charge you for laundry service. The rest of your clothes can usually be re-organize if needed but the Carribean sun is no joke and you're going to want to clean the things you sweat the most in. ::yes::
5. Excursions get expensive but I always recommend splurging on at least one. You may never have an opportunity to swim with dolphins in in turquoise waters or zipline thru a jungle canopy again. Our last cruise we splurged on a zipline and river rafting trip and it was some of the best memories we've ever made. We had so much fun and I don't regret spending the extra $ on the one we really wanted.

I could talk cruising all day but these are the big ones that I can think of off the top of my head. :flower1:

What are the drink package options, and how do I purchase these? We have the beer mug, are there other ones?

I'm honest not sure how this works on DCL but all the other cruises I've been on (3 different lines) have had a package you can purchase where you pay a lump sum up front that pays for your drinks in advance. It's usually pretty steep but once you factor in the cost per drink it usually pays for itself partway through the cruise and then the rest is gravy.

I'm honest not sure how this works on DCL but all the other cruises I've been on (3 different lines) have had a package you can purchase where you pay a lump sum up front that pays for your drinks in advance. It's usually pretty steep but once you factor in the cost per drink it usually pays for itself partway through the cruise and then the rest is gravy.

Looking into it a bit it looks like DCL doesn't have the same kind of packages that the other cruise lines do BUT in addition to the beer glass they have a wine package. I'm looking here: http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2012/08/a-guide-to-drinking-on-a-disney-cruise/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter