First Cruise Since 2019

pogmog

Mouseketeer
Leaving on our first Cruise Since 2019 in 2 weeks...number 13 for us on Disney. Do things feel very different? Are passengers or cast members still wearing masks? Do we need to bring them; we're vaccinated. Online check in was a bit tough. We were always at port early. This time PAT 11:45 boarding group 9. Hubby wants his lunch, lol! Need to talk to dining staff for early seating and table for 2. Neither of us can eat late dinner due to medical reasons. Of course we couldn't get Palo brunch either so have to followup once on board as well. Hope we'll have time...feeling so stressed and never did before when we sailed in the past. Any helpful suggestions much appreciated.

Leaving on our first Cruise Since 2019 in 2 weeks...number 13 for us on Disney. Do things feel very different? Are passengers or cast members still wearing masks? Do we need to bring them; we're vaccinated. Online check in was a bit tough. We were always at port early. This time PAT 11:45 boarding group 9. Hubby wants his lunch, lol! Need to talk to dining staff for early seating and table for 2. Neither of us can eat late dinner due to medical reasons. Of course we couldn't get Palo brunch either so have to followup once on board as well. Hope we'll have time...feeling so stressed and never did before when we sailed in the past. Any helpful suggestions much appreciated.
Things are very much back to normal with only a few small exceptions. You don't need masks. If you can't get a private table for two at early dinner, maybe splurge a bit and treat yourselves to dinner at Palo every evening at 6pm? Seriously, once you're onboard you can book it as you wish, and there's usually onboard availability for 2 at dinner. Enjoy your cruise!

I'm right there with you. We haven't sailed since 2019 and have our first cruise in 2 weeks too! From what I've heard, things are mostly back to "normal". Check in is where a lot of the changes exist with the addition of safe passage.

Have you already gotten on the waitlist for the early seating? You can join via the DCL website - there should be a section on your 'My Reservations' page about your seating. Someone on another thread said they go through the waitlist a few days before the cruise to bump people up so it's worth a shot if you haven't already.

Palo Brunch is one thing that has *not* gone back to normal. There are many threads on this but there's no more buffet, it's only off the menu. They do offer some of the pastries and such but it's nowhere near the selection as in the Beforetimes. I personally no longer think brunch is worth it (or at least, no longer worth stressing over getting). YMMV - I hope you get it if it's important to you.

Deep breath! I'm sure you'll still have an amazing time!

We just sailed in early September-our first cruise since 2019. Our platinum level cruise. Things are very much normal-even though at the beginning of September we still had to test and the crew was wearing masks. At times I had a hard time believing we were truly back and cruising again. We had a wonderful and amazing trip despite all the worry. I hope that you will as well. A bit like riding a bike after you have had a fall- a bit nervous and tentative, but it feels wonderful once you are back. Happy Sailing!

We are also two weeks away from our first cruise since 2019. I'm sorry to hear about Palo brunch still being like that, but my waist and wallet will appreciate skipping it until the get it back to normal. Then again, I have a feeling this might be the new normal.

Us as well. Oct 31st on Magic (our favorite).
Leaving out of NYC, which is hugely convenient.
Thank you all for the comments.
We may skip the Palo brunch . . . especially with new pricing/confusion.
Very excited / optimistic / apprehensive . . . all at once.

We've been on 3 DVC cruises this year -March, July, and October. Getting back to almost normal was a process and we are almost there. Some of the staff still mask (I'm wondering if it is the CDC recommendation of 5 days isolation + 5 days masked after positive test).

But, I suggest you consider masking when you cannot maintain distance (busses, lines, shows). The cruise I got off of on Sunday has a FB page and a lot of people are reporting positive tests this week. So far I'm fine but I did mask as suggested above. Several folks have said "I wish I'd masked more".

We've been on 3 DVC cruises this year -March, July, and October. Getting back to almost normal was a process and we are almost there. Some of the staff still mask (I'm wondering if it is the CDC recommendation of 5 days isolation + 5 days masked after positive test).

But, I suggest you consider masking when you cannot maintain distance (busses, lines, shows). The cruise I got off of on Sunday has a FB page and a lot of people are reporting positive tests this week. So far I'm fine but I did mask as suggested above. Several folks have said "I wish I'd masked more".

I agree. No one thinks it will be them. Like you, I’ve done 3 cruises this year. February, April, and September. With sick people posting afterwards in the FB groups. While it’s going to happen, people just need to realize it. I was shocked when I got covid after the April cruise. I thought I was cautious. Then I got the Flu during the September cruise. I leave next week for a 14 night b2b! I’m as prepared as i can be. Got my flu shot and the new booster. Packed my cold & flu meds and hand sanitizer. Packed some masks, esp in case the sore throat starts. I don’t want to get sick and not make it to my second cruise. Plus I packed some test kits, so I can test in my room before cruise number 2. Don’t want to be quarantined the entire second cruise.

I was shocked when I got covid after the April cruise. I thought I was cautious. Then I got the Flu during the September cruise.
Almost everyone we know has gotten covid on their cruises in the last several months except for one neighbor who somehow managed to avoid it. We haven't cruised yet, but we are going in three weeks. We finally decided we had to just go in knowing we will likely get sick. If we don't, that will be reason to celebrate, but I can't keep missing the ships. About a month ago, we were over in Canaveral for something unrelated and watched the Fantasy sail out of port. That was the final straw. If we get sick, we get sick but I'm not going to miss that horn again signaling the start of a wonderful trip.

Remind me of this in a few weeks when I'm sick, please.

We can't live under a rock just because we might get sick. We have to get out there and enjoy life again. We did a cruise in May to Alaska and were fine. Went away in July to Vegas for a convention and came back with Covid. Not much different now than trying to avoid Norwalk. Just wash your hands lots, be cautious and hope / pray that your travelling party stays healthy. Safe travels on your cruise.

Anyone who have been on the ship recently. Is Cabana's self service or is crew doing the serving?

Last edited:
We can't live under a rock just because we might get sick. We have to get out there and enjoy life again. We did a cruise in May to Alaska and were fine. Went away in July to Vegas for a convention and came back with Covid. Not much different now that trying to avoid norwalk. Just wash your hands lots, be cautious and hope / pray that your travelling party stays healthy. Safe travels on your cruise.

Anyone who have been on the ship recently. Is Cabana's self service or is crew doing the serving?
was on the Wonder this last week, and Cabanas was self-serve.

To the OP; you may mask as you wish, of course, and it can't hurt to bring some. It really depends on your personal medical history how you should weigh potential precautions. There is no blanket answer! I also had a tough time with the online check in, so you are not alone! Our PAT and BG is even later than yours although I was checked shortly after 1 am, if that's any consolation.

One helpful suggestion to reduce stress upon embarkation I have is to make sure your phone is updated to the latest iOS (or Android equivalent), and if it does need an update, uninstall and re-install the DCL app. A cast member told me that this is often an issue (I struggled to get my DCL app to work although it had worked seemingly perfectly at home, then had to re-install on ship which took several attempts and a ton of time). One big change to 2019 is that now EVERYTHING on board is via the App. Even the menus... but also guest services (getting into a a virtual line there!), and booking/planning anything.

I did get Covid on the ship in May, and at the time everyone on board older than 5 was vaccinated, all crew wore KN-95s all the time, and all passengers had to test negative at the port on embarkation. Interestingly, I later received an exposure notification - turns out transmission occurred during the last evening show on board!! So while sitting in the theater I think I will be masking next time. We did not mask at all in May, and the ship was at 2/3 capacity. Several people noted that towards the end of the cruise, more people seemed to have respiratory symptoms (you would hear coughing etc.), while during the first days, you'd hear no coughing. So I think that the precautions DCL had in place mostly worked initially, but then everyone mingles, returns from the different ports, and more people were getting exposed.
The next time, we are bracing for a full ship, crew and passengers no masks, and Covid, Flu, RSV, and other respiratory viruses all on board. We are preparing best as possible with what we are bringing onboard, and having everyone up to date on all vaccines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter