First DVC Resale Contract for The Villas at Disneyland Hotel

pkrieger2287

Senior Editor - DVC Fan
Last edited:
From the listing...

"(current estimated nightly tax rates for 2024 range from $27.80 to $556 per night)"

$556 per night??? I think the hotel tax is 15% (or very close to that). So that means that the grand villas have a tax-assessment rate of $3,200 per night? I hadn't realized it was that high. Wow.

So, buying direct as a current member who already has a stay on the books ($1000 savings) and would use magical beginnings ($3000 rebate) since this contract has used the first years points would be around $193pp… and Disney closing costs are roughly half of resale ($450 savings).

At a listing of $185pp, is it worth a savings of around $5pp ($750) and the 2-3 month longer closing process to have those points be restricted to just one resort for the next 49 years…

My guess is $185 is the amount the seller needs to get to pay off the loan after seller commissions.

So, buying direct as a current member who already has a stay on the books ($1000 savings) and would use magical beginnings ($3000 rebate) since this contract has used the first years points would be around $193pp… and Disney closing costs are roughly half of resale ($450 savings).

At a listing of $185pp, is it worth a savings of around $5pp ($750) and the 2-3 month longer closing process to have those points be restricted to just one resort for the next 49 years…

My guess is $185 is the amount the seller needs to get to pay off the loan after seller commissions.
Yeahhh that's gonna be a no from me dawg

Yeahhh that's gonna be a no from me dawg
Lifetime dues will be $66,500 + inflation (or ~70% of the total cost) wether you buy direct or resale…. I’m just not sure how low the price would need to be for me to even consider it since the points could never be used at Aulani, Grand Cal, WDW, or future Disneyland Forward properties.

You also lose the 10% food/merch discount and can’t go into StarView station if not already a DVC-Y member…

Last edited:
Lifetime dues will be $66,500 + inflation (or ~70% of the total cost) wether you buy direct or resale…. I’m just not sure how low the price would be for me to even consider it since the points could never be used at Aulani, Grand Cal, WDW, or future Disneyland Forward properties.

You also lose the 10% food/merch discount and can’t go into StarView station if not already a DVC-Y member…
The restrictions are by far the biggest factor. They'd have to be on the order of 40-50% off direct pricing to consider even purchasing.

I know the general consensus is that the resale restrictions won't matter at VDH as much as RIV, but speaking for myself (and as a RIV resale owner) I think they do matter a lot at VDH. I own RIV resale to complement some direct RIV points for bigger rooms and/or longer stays. I don't see the need for a VDH resale in that same manner though since I'm not interested in longer stays at DL (and won't travel there that often for multiple stays b/c I'm east coast based) and there's not enough bigger rooms there that I'm not confident I could combine direct points from other resorts with a VDH resale contract to secure them at 7 months. Similarly, I can see there being good availability for studios at VDH at 7 months by nature of how many studios there are. I'm sure the west coasters and the DL-based folks will have a different opinion, but I think it'll be interesting to see how VDH resale plays out in the future.

From the listing...

"(current estimated nightly tax rates for 2024 range from $27.80 to $556 per night)"

$556 per night??? I think the hotel tax is 15% (or very close to that). So that means that the grand villas have a tax-assessment rate of $3,200 per night? I hadn't realized it was that high. Wow.
I think this is going to be a bigger deal than DVC thinks, not only are current DVC members more likely to not make a reservation at VDH because of this added tax to trade in to these rooms, this will limit current members going and changing their minds about buying in and make an add-on purchase. But hey..... they kept the dues low for the owners.

I think this is going to be a bigger deal than DVC thinks, not only are current DVC members more likely to not make a reservation at VDH because of this added tax to trade in to these rooms, this will limit current members going and changing their minds about buying in and make an add-on purchase. But hey..... they kept the dues low for the owners.
I don’t think they had any control of the TOT and understand why they made it separate, but they did control the point chart and chose to make it expensive.

My two cents on pricing:
  • Being the first contract, I think, as with anything, you always aim high and see what the market dictates.
  • That said, if you're on the fence, I wouldn't be shy to put in an offer on this. There's no established baseline.
  • Most of these early sales are always what I would call a "distressed seller" situation. Who knows what the reason is - but it will likely dictate the price and how quickly it sells. If they need money, it will sell quicker and lower... If they need to unload but the financial aspect is not as pressing, I'd expect them to wait a while and entertain higher offers.
  • My gut had the first VDH resales coming in around $160-170pp.
  • Like others have alluded, I'm guessing part of the pricing consideration here might be related to what is owed on the contract.

I wonder if the broker advised on this price, it does seem very ambitious

It's tough with these early contracts to even predict what the resort will go for. VDH is more likely than any WDW resort to have buyers that couldn't care less about being limited to the single location - and for that reason expect this resort to hold it's value with resale restrictions a lot more than Riviera does.

That said, I suspect this is a high aim because there is no market yet. I expect the resale market price for this to be similar to Grand Flo - I wouldn't be surprised if it goes around $170-175 in the end.

I wonder if the broker advised on this price, it does seem very ambitious
Ambitious, I like that word, I’m west coast based - about a 6 hr. drive north of DL, and the midwest owner of the house next door listed it yesterday at what I thought was a greedy price, but I’m gonna be less judgmental & label it a ‘very ambitious’ price from now on. I’m predicting that both the DHV resale listing & the house next door will fall short of their asking prices but have no guess for how much lower they’ll sell for, or even if the owners will pull the listings if they don’t get offers near their asking prices, but, I’ve been wrong about these things before, so 🤷‍♀️.

Ambitious, I like that word, I’m west coast based - about a 6 hr. drive north of DL, and the midwest owner of the house next door listed it yesterday at what I thought was a greedy price, but I’m gonna be less judgmental & label it a ‘very ambitious’ price from now on. I’m predicting that both the DHV resale listing & the house next door will fall short of their asking prices but have no guess for how much lower they’ll sell for, or even if the owners will pull the listings if they don’t get offers near their asking prices, but, I’ve been wrong about these things before, so 🤷‍♀️.
I think of “greed” being when a company buys an established medicine that many people require for quality of life (without having to fork out any of the actual R&D) and jack up the price by 500%.

Selling a property… no one HAS to buy it…. so I don’t fault a seller for trying to get the highest price they can.

My two cents on pricing:
  • Being the first contract, I think, as with anything, you always aim high and see what the market dictates.
  • That said, if you're on the fence, I wouldn't be shy to put in an offer on this. There's no established baseline.
  • Most of these early sales are always what I would call a "distressed seller" situation. Who knows what the reason is - but it will likely dictate the price and how quickly it sells. If they need money, it will sell quicker and lower... If they need to unload but the financial aspect is not as pressing, I'd expect them to wait a while and entertain higher offers.
  • My gut had the first VDH resales coming in around $160-170pp.
  • Like others have alluded, I'm guessing part of the pricing consideration here might be related to what is owed on the contract.
So at $160pp (low end) that is saying the value of having unrestricted points and the direct discounts is worth a lump sum of $4450 or $91 a year ($313 if you use a 5% cost of capital) for the life of the contract….

I’m not familiar with what data is available. So my question would be will we even know what it sells for?

@ehh is tracking direct sales ofVDH, so any resale contract will show up in the same place. It’s how some are able to track RIV resale…the comptrollers site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter