First hearing aids

KPeveler

DIS Veteran
I posted this in the community board, but I have Disney questions. I am getting Phonak Audeo hearing aids, my first. I cannot wait to be able to hear at work! I also have Disney questions. I am looking for the all the advice! If you have any advice I am all ears (pun intended)!

Some random parks advice from a mom of a hard of hearing kiddo:

Be prepared to turn the volume down in interior ride lines. Kids love to yell to hear the echo, for example, in the pirates line, which can overwhelm a HA user.

Take extra batteries (unless yours are rechargeable). My kiddo's HA requires batteries, and sometimes you get a dud that doesn't last as long as expected.

Keep a case (or small tupperware container) in a ziplock bag in a purse or backpack, especially if you're going in the summer or want to ride water rides. Having a quick way to protect a hearing aid from a summer downpour can be a lifesaver.

Take off your HA to apply sunscreen. You don't want to gum up the microphone, and you don't want to burn your ears by skipping the sunscreen in the FL sun.

If you're going to be there while masks are still required on transportation, be very careful when removing your mask that you don't catch your HA and pull it off accidentally (especially true for behind-the-ear HA)

Don't be afraid to ask for clarification from the cast members if you can't understand announcements. The double amplification of the overhead speaker and a hearing aid don't always mesh well together.

Best wishes as you adjust to your new hearing aids!

They rent out hearing assistance devices at the front of each park. Not knowing much about your loss, it's difficult to say if this may address any needs for you- but the devices can both function with headphones to play the ride noises/voices directly to you, OR can be used in text mode. In text mode it will type out what is going on and being said in the ride.
My son (11) said he had no idea how much he was missing before that device.

Congrats with your new device. We are getting a pair of those for my mom in a couple of days and i am very excited for her.
The advice i got from a friend of mine is that hearing aid supplies are a very important too. You don't want to end up without batteries for the whole weekend when you can't get then from anywhere. Pair or two of extra domes are also very helpful to keep at home.

Last edited:
Some random parks advice from a mom of a hard of hearing kiddo:

Be prepared to turn the volume down in interior ride lines. Kids love to yell to hear the echo, for example, in the pirates line, which can overwhelm a HA user.

Take extra batteries (unless yours are rechargeable). My kiddo's HA requires batteries, and sometimes you get a dud that doesn't last as long as expected.

Keep a case (or small tupperware container) in a ziplock bag in a purse or backpack, especially if you're going in the summer or want to ride water rides. Having a quick way to protect a hearing aid from a summer downpour can be a lifesaver.

Take off your HA to apply sunscreen. You don't want to gum up the microphone, and you don't want to burn your ears by skipping the sunscreen in the FL sun.

If you're going to be there while masks are still required on transportation, be very careful when removing your mask that you don't catch your HA and pull it off accidentally (especially true for behind-the-ear HA)

Don't be afraid to ask for clarification from the cast members if you can't understand announcements. The double amplification of the overhead speaker and a hearing aid don't always mesh well together.

Best wishes as you adjust to your new hearing aids!
These are spot on!

I also suggest investing in a good dry and store (dehumidifier). especially if you are coming to Florida in the summer and not used to the humidity. Number 1 reason HAs go in for repair in Florida is due to moisture (small electronic device you wear on your head where you sweat).

Also if you receive a Partner Mic with your Audeos bring it and use it. There is a lot of background noise and if you want to hear you family better this accessory is a must.

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter