First Solo Trip

CoachBeard

Mouseketeer
I've loved Disney parks since I was a kid. I grew up about 75 miles from Disneyland and used to be an annual passholder for many years. I went to
WDW in 1994 with my family, DLP in 1998 again with my family. After my first marriage, we honeymooned at WDW and went again in 2011.

Well, the big 40 is coming up in November and while I originally wanted to go to Europe, I think I want to wait a while until various restrictions are less... restrictive. So, I decided I'll go to WDW. I was supposed to go for my 30th and had the trip booked but I got bronchitis... and a divorce! haha!

I made a rookie mistake and booked my flights before anything else. But to be fair I was being hypothetical and the tickets were only $400 roundtrip from LAX. I thought I had my rooms (want to split stay) good to go but David's Vacation Club wrote back to say the rooms are available but they didn't have the points to rent out. So now I am trying my hand for slightly different plans and a little more money with DVC-Rental. Hope to hear back from them soon.

So, I just wanted to post up and say hello. I'm going to be reading through all the tips and tricks for solo travelers here and hey, maybe I'll even meet some of you folks for a drink while I'm there. I must say, I am a little nervous but I've traveled to Vegas by myself, I've gone on work trips by myself, and I think I'm going to be ok. Sure, it's a little weird being a single 40 year old dude going to Disney... at least to some of my friends, but they just don't get it. It's such a nice escape from reality to go there. No driving, awesome hotels, theming everywhere, it is truly magical and I was spoiled by it at a young age.

Thanks! I'll check it out!

I'm hoping to stay at Boardwalk Villas and Bay Lake Tower. My first choice of Wilderness Lodge was not available but I stayed there in a villa in 2008 so it is good to try new places right?

I grew up about 120 miles from Disneyland. Then moved about 3 miles from Disneyland when I was 19. My first trip to WDW was a solo trip in 2008 and I've been going once a year since. Mostly solo - sometimes with a friend or two. Solo trips are my favorite.

When are you going? $400 r/t from LAX seems high. What airline are you taking?

I'm heading back for a 10 day stay in September

I'm hoping to stay at Boardwalk Villas and Bay Lake Tower. My first choice of Wilderness Lodge was not available but I stayed there in a villa in 2008 so it is good to try new places right?
When are you planning on going?

I grew up about 120 miles from Disneyland. Then moved about 3 miles from Disneyland when I was 19. My first trip to WDW was a solo trip in 2008 and I've been going once a year since. Mostly solo - sometimes with a friend or two. Solo trips are my favorite.

When are you going? $400 r/t from LAX seems high. What airline are you taking?

I'm heading back for a 10 day stay in September
10/31-11/4 I opted for premium economy. So it is $219 LAX>MCO on American and then United on the way back, I forgot the exact price but the last time I was looking it was anywhere from $600 and up from LAX to MCO. So this exceeded my expectations.

I’ve done solo trips. It’s so nice to go on the rides you want. Spend as much time as you’d like in the shops (or whatever your thing may be). Race around with no one else needing to keep up. Or go slow if you want. Sleep without disruption. Spend whatever $ you’d like. Eat where you want when you want. Do your favorite rides twice because you usually make more efficient use of time when solo. And the photographers even take photos of you for you. It’s great! Have fun and happy 40th!

For the dates you listed BLT shows full availability for Lake view studio, BWV shows the first three nights in garden view.

Tip to make you feel better….. book a room at a resort until you are confident in your DVC rental. You need to make sure you have someplace to stay! Room only reservations are easy to cancel.

Tip to make you feel better….. book a room at a resort until you are confident in your DVC rental. You need to make sure you have someplace to stay! Room only reservations are easy to cancel.
Thank you, I just did that. Not where I really want to stay but it would be a decent backup plan. Good thinking.

I grew up in San Diego and went to Disneyland several times a year. Now I live in Riverside and go at least once a month. Ive done solo Disneyland many times but I will be going to WDW for my first solo trip this November. Flying out of San Diego, my airfare was also a little over $400 too, which I also thought was a good price.

Well alright! I’m booked 2 nights at BWV and 2 nights at BLT! Super excited it’s really happening!

Last time I was at WDW in 2011 I was supposed to do the Keys to the Kingdom tour but we ended up canceling last minute. What do you all think of doing this tour as a solo traveler? I’d say MK is my 3rd favorite park and similar enough to DLR where I’ve been a million times I’m thinking it might be fun to experience it a new way. Any thoughts on the tour itself?

Well alright! I’m booked 2 nights at BWV and 2 nights at BLT! Super excited it’s really happening!

Last time I was at WDW in 2011 I was supposed to do the Keys to the Kingdom tour but we ended up canceling last minute. What do you all think of doing this tour as a solo traveler? I’d say MK is my 3rd favorite park and similar enough to DLR where I’ve been a million times I’m thinking it might be fun to experience it a new way. Any thoughts on the tour itself?

If the tour is something you are interested in, and its in your budget, go for it. And the same with restaurants and food options. Don't let being solo deter you from experiences. :)

I've done that tour as a solo traveler, and it was awesome. (Coincidentally, it was in 2011 - though I'm considering doing it this year, again as a solo traveler.)

What you described is exactly the highlight - you see the park in a totally different way, especially the backstage areas. They'll take you on rides and talk you through the things that guests would normally not see or notice - a completely different way to experience rides you've done a million times. (The utilidors are cool to see, too.) And you'll mostly be with other folks who love the parks - more than just casual guests.

Btw - I had a similar background with my park travels. I went a bunch in the 90s, then stopped after college for money reasons. After an eleven-year hiatus, I had some spare money and leftover vacation days, and decided to take a shot as a solo traveler - I figured if I hated it, I just wouldn't do it again. It was (and still is) one of my all-time favorite trips, and I've been regularly hitting the parks ever since. :D

If the cost of the tour was in my budget, I would totally do it solo. I did the Wild Africa Trek solo and loved that.

I've done Keys to the Kingdom as a solo traveler and loved it. The nice thing about solo is you can do what you want when you want it. Tours is one thing Disney does well - I've not been on all but every one I've done I've enjoyed.

Well, all this planning 8 months in advance for me a little crazy. So I changed my return flight to Saturday and booked an extra night, this time at AKL. I’ve never stayed or been to that resort so why not? So now I’ll go to AK my last full day.
I am beyond excited and have been watching so many YouTube videos. I used to do that during time when I wanted to go to WDW but couldn’t. They’re a nice escape. Also, I’m a very visual learner so seeing where things are and context is helping me plan my days there.

I’ve decided I’ll do the KTTK tour. I just need to save up a little. Hopefully it’s not fully booked by the time I can reserve. And who knows? Maybe I’ll find a travel buddy by the time I go? If not maybe I’ll meet some folks whilst drinking around the world lol

Not sure it’s worth making a new thread…

how likely is it for a solo traveler to show up to a restaurant and be sat? I know folks are militant about reservations 90 days out and all that but I’m not sure I’m going to know where I am or if I am going to want to leave where I am to go for a reservation.
I’m staying a couple nights at BLT. Let’s say I’m at MK and decide I want CA Grill for dinner. Would it still be impossible to be sat at the counter for a single person with no ressie?

I’ll probably only do 2 “signature” restaurants the whole trip but I am doing to trip sort “with the flow”.

how likely is it for a solo traveler to show up to a restaurant and be sat? I know folks are militant about reservations 90 days out and all that but I’m not sure I’m going to know where I am or if I am going to want to leave where I am to go for a reservation.
I've always booked the ADRs as walk ups even for single travelers are tough to get. Sometimes you can sit at the bar and have some apps or even entrees but if you actually want a regular 2 top table, definitely don't be talked out of a table by the wait staff. The keys tour takes a big chunk out of your day so you may want to consider how that will impact the rest of your trip and if you'll have enough time to really enjoy the park. Your hotel reservations sound great, but another option is to go with a less $ onsite property and extend the length of your stay. Depends on how much time you have to play with. As I'm hardly ever in the room except to sleep and shower, I've long since stopped staying in deluxe or even mod resorts because I can't justify the price when I'm not there to enjoy the amenities. Instead, I put my $ into a longer stay and restaurants and am good with a value resort eg POP as the rooms have been refurbished and I spend all my time in the parks or at Dis Springs. Whatever you choose, have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter