First time family trip to Disney

dfmrsf

Earning My Ears
:confused:
Hi, I'm new to this baord and my family and I are new to Disney. Our trip is all booked 4-17 to 4-23 32 days till Disney.
We are a family of three with our son who is soon to be 7.
I feel as if I should be doing something to prepare for our trip,but other than pack I really don't know what to do. What are the must haves will be for this trip.
Can some one give me advice and how to prepare so things go smoothly? What to do? where to go? what to bring ?what not to do? We are staying at the All Sports Resort. Oh! one more thing my son and I have never been on a plane before. any suggestions?
Thanks so much for any advice.I'm sure ther are alot of Disney experts on this board

Diane

The only advice I can offer is to read through some guide books and get an idea of what things for sure you want to do/see and not worry about the rest! The worst vacations I've had at WDW are the ones I tried to plan to the last detail (I like to plan!). I think the point of vacation is to enjoy what comes your way and not try to "overplan." One thing that comes (for me) from reading these boards sometimes is a sense of anxiety that I'm not getting the right room at the right hotel and the right priority seatings and the right day to go to the right park at the right time and park my car in the right spot and (you get the idea...).

Enjoy the plane trip - flying is wonderful and you won't believe how quick it is to arrive compared to driving! If it makes you nervous I've found that bringing a music player with headphones helps, or a book that you've already read a chapter or two and are already into it, or some activities (like coloring) if you have little ones that need entertainment.

Enjoy!!!

Carol G.:jester:

Welcome!

I would search the web and read up on all the meal options at the parks and resorts, as these will be usefull. If you want character meals, you will want to make ps's(preferred seating) times. These are necessary if you want to eat at Chef Mickeys, Liberty Tree Tavern, 1900 Park Fare, and other popular dining spots. With a 7 year old, Donald's breakfast is not to be missed at Animal Kingdom.

On the flight, we always take crayons, paper, short books, snacks, water and some small toys(cars, building blocks, etc.). We put these in a child backpack and locate it under the seat in front of us for easy access.

Good Luck and have a great trip.

Family of Five

I basically agree with the above - don't overplan your 1st trip. An exception might be that I'd pretty much have a broad-based plan - such as knowing what park (or parks) you plan to visit each day.

For example, with an almost 7 year old - find out if and when MK (Magic Kingdom) has EE (Early Entry) during your visit. With an almost 7 year old - I think that you'd want to get your family up and to MK - right at the beginning of EE. This way, a lot of the Fantasyland rides can be done with little or no wait.

That's my one tip. Others will have more. Have a great time :)

Find out if there are any special events happening when you are there, and plan around them. If there is a parade or fireworks show you want to see, make sure to plan to be in the right park at the right time. If you want a grownup night out, and your kids are the right age to go to the kids clubs, make a reservation for them *and* for your dinner, so that it's all set and you can all look forward to that.

Over years of experimentation, I've learned to look at the scheduled hours for the parks, including EE & e-nites, as we stay onsite, and plan from there. The plan structure that we have found works best is to plan by the half-day. I make a little grid with each day on it, and divide each day in two, with a mid-day break at the resort being a given. We designate an AM and a PM park for each day of the trip that we are doing parks, and also make PS's for any special meals we want, or outings we want to do that require advance reservations. Other than that, we leave it open. If I can fit the whole plan on 2 sides of a 3x5" card, I've done it right. (PS: We like to make lunch reservations every day; it stops us from staying in the park past the time we planned to leave.)

If you don't have at least a general idea of what direction you wish to go in each day, you will find that you waste a lot of your vacation time backtracking and/or standing around trying to decide which way to go. Also, try to get hold of some park maps ahead of time (ask people you know who have been recently if they have some they can give you, or download the ones on the web), and familiarize yourself with the layout of each park, so you don't end up wandering aimlessly with no idea of where you are or how to get to the next ride you want to do.

The more you know about these parks ahead of time, the more fun you will have. The sheer size of WDW is guaranteed to overwhelm you if you are unprepared. Most people I know who go in cold end up missing huge areas of the resort altogether, and almost always, the things they missed are the areas that differ most from the parts they found that they *didn't* like. Don't try to see absolutely everything unless you have at least 3 weeks, but study up and find out which attractions are the ones that are most likely to appeal to *your* family.

Get some books about Disney World it really helps to know things that you really want to see and things you might want to skip. Since you are going durining a busy time(us too 11-20) use fast pass when ever you can. Check out Deb Wills page it was really helpful on our first trip. And just realize that once you get there you won't be able to do and see every thing which means hey another Disney Trip. Have a great vacation.

I would definitely get a guide book. The Unofficial Guide to WDW is a great book.

Make a flexible plan, but nothing rigid for your first trip. Plan what parks for what days. Write down which rides/attractions are must do's for your family. Maybe plan for a few meals at some restaurants you would like to try. Visit Downtown Disney one evening. Make one day just a pool day and enjoy the resort.

Try not to be too overwhelmed by everything at Disney. It is a huge place & it will be impossible to see & do everything on one trip.

Have a great time, relax & enjoy. :cool:

I think more important than how much you plan is just to remember to feed and water your sprout. We grown-ups get pretty excited and my DH always wants to do "one more thing" until its 2 hrs past the time our kids are used to eating - hmmmmm what happens then, I wonder?? Maybe a small backpack with juice-in-a-box and some little snacks. Or bottled water...

this sounds like a big "duh" but if you keep this in mind, everything else will fall in place.

Take some gum on the plane for lift off and landing.

Have a great time!!

You are going to be there during Easter; you will need a plan.

You don't need to plan every hour of every day, but you need to know where you want to start and end each day.

Are you going to take advantage of EE? With a 7 year old I'd be sure to hit MK on a EE morning. You can get all of Fantasyland done before the parks open.

Do you plan to watch any of the parades and fireworks? You need to know what time they start and how to get a good viewing spot.

Have you made PS?

What type of tickets are you getting?

Do you have an idea of the things you all want to do while you're there?

Check out this site.
There's tons of info here and it's very easy to use.
www.wdwig.com

Check out the trip reports on mouseplanet.
http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/trip.rpt/

There's a trip report board here on the DIS also.

The reports on MP are divided by season and year. They also list the age group of the travelers, disney experience.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Welcome to the DIS

:bounce: :Pinkbounc

Sorry this is so long.

Try the PassPorter. It's great and has info on everything from the resorts, to the parks, to dining. You can get it cheaper at Amazon than Barnes and Noble.

I agree that priority seatings are a must and this book can help you with how far in advance to make these.

<B>General</B>
I also recommend getting a guide book. However I have a different one to recommend: <a href="http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=0DXLM0A1K4&isbn=0761537171&itm=3">The Walt Disney World With Kids book by Kim Wright Wiley.</a>

It has some great tips for taking your kids to WDW.

Staying at All Stars is great! We did that the first time too. Be sure to take afternoon breaks. Come back to the resort and swim and relax by the pool.

<B>Eating</B>
I don't know what kind of budget you are on, but you might want to make "priority seating"(PS) reservations for a Character Meal or two.

These meals are a great break from rushing around and the Disney Characters at the meal, come around to all the tables for pictures and autographs. We have gotten some of the best pictures at Character meals.
Here's a link to a web page with Character Dining info.. and a lot more: http://www.wdwig.com/cb.htm

Disney has some great restaurants even without characters so be sure to look at making PS's for them too.
You can call 407-WDW-DINE to make them.

<B>Airplane</B> I'm assuming this is your Son's first plane trip too. This may seem obvious but be sure to bring things on the plane for him to do. Game Boys are great for that. I also let my son(10) use the Game Boy in the parks while we are on a line, or waiting at a restaurant to eat. My son wears a waist pack. That is where he keeps the Game Boy, his room key and some pocket money.

<B>Crowds and Extra Magic Hour</B>
council.gif

This is Easter
bunny.gif
week. I am going to be down there too that week. An older guide book labled Easter week as "Nightmare on Main Street" as far as crowds are concerned.

As a resort guest you have a bonus that will help you get some touring done before large crowds decend on the parks. It's called Extra Magic Hour. What this means is on certain days one Park will open an Hour earlier for WDW Resort guests only.
With Easter week, I really recommend taking advantage of it.
<B>Extra Magic Hour Schedule:</B>
Sunday - Magic Kingdom
Monday - Disney's Animal Kingdom
Tuesday - Disney-MGM Studios
Wednesday - Epcot®
Thursday - Magic Kingdom
Friday - Disney's Animal Kingdom
Saturday - Disney-MGM Studios

<B>Most Important</B>
Have a Great Time!! Disney World is a Wonderful Place!

Cindy in NY

I like to plan a lot but don't mind if we change things around. I just find the trip goesetter if you have a few things decided on ahead of time!! It's much, much easier for everyone to ask me what we're doing than to have to make a group choice. I ask everyone what they want to do ahead of time & incorporate it into the plans.

I make a simple chart. For each day I list the park we plan to go to & its hours. If we will go somewhere else in the evening I'll list that parks hours. List the big shows & parades.

Also
-any PS and the confirmation number
-any other special plans (like babysitters & phone numbers)
-hotel phone & confirmation #

It's also good to note which parks have early entry on which days, because if you change your park, you'll want to know what time to get there! It's nice to have it all in one place.

Originally posted by Gillian
I like to plan a lot but don't mind if we change things around. I just find the trip goesetter if you have a few things decided on ahead of time!! It's much, much easier for everyone to ask me what we're doing than to have to make a group choice. I ask everyone what they want to do ahead of time & incorporate it into the plans.

I make a simple chart. For each day I list the park we plan to go to & its hours. If we will go somewhere else in the evening I'll list that parks hours. List the big shows & parades.

Also
-any PS and the confirmation number
-any other special plans (like babysitters & phone numbers)
-hotel phone & confirmation #

It's also good to note which parks have early entry on which days, because if you change your park, you'll want to know what time to get there! It's nice to have it all in one place.

I do the same thing.

I also add any special things I want to catch in each park, the candy lady in WorldShow Case, DeVine in Ak......

:cool: Thank all of you for your wonderful replies.I have so much information now. I definetly will check out the trip reports too. I hope it won't be too insane going at Easter time.My little boy crosses the day off the calendar with such excitment looking forward to the day we leave. and his birthday is 3 days after we get home. What a wonderful time, Thank God!

1. Become familiar with the parks via a guidebook before you go. Pay special attention to maps so you have some idea of where you are and how each park is layed out.

2. Have everyone in your party make a "top ten things from the guidebook" list. Keep in mind making your list that there are more "attractions" than just rides - your list may include dinner, your son's may include a trip to the waterpark, your husband my want to visit the Adventurer's Club. Plan to this list.

3. If you don't want a trip filled with Chicken Fingers and Burgers, make some PSs now. Sitting down for a meal takes time - and on your first trip you may not want a sit down meal every day -- but my preference would be one every other day. Don't overlook the resort restaurants - a lot of people do on their first trips to the parks (especially when staying at the All Stars), and some of the best meals on property are at the resorts.

4. Many people swear by leaving the parks for the peak time in the middle of the day. If you have a snack, then head to a hotel for a late lunch - or back to All Stars for a swim, you can miss some of the crowds (and take advantage of lunch prices in the less crowded resort restaurants).

5. Relax and have fun! If you do - you'll enjoy yourself and will likely plan another trip to come back and see what you missed. If you don't, you'll stress out, won't have a good time, and will never come back to see the stuff you missed.

6. Bring lots of money!

The last time we were at disney was Oct 2002. I had researched and had my handy Unofficial Guide Book to Walt Disney World (Bob Sehlinger, I think), and my Birnbaum's Official Walt Disney World guide book.

What a waste of $$$. While the Unofficial guide was informative, it is very very very long and takes some of the fun of Disney out of it. The way they show going around the place with a "plan" is just not realistic. I'm here to tell you when your child sees a character or something they really want to do, that plan just flies out the window.

My best resources came from this board and various web sites. This was an excellent web site as was www.wdwig.com (Deb's Unofficial site).

I would get one guide book for a first trip and that would be the easier on the eye Birnbaum's or the Passporter. Just go, relax and have fun...............................

I'm sure I'll get varying opinions on this, but again just my 2 cents:smooth:

Juli

There was a post on the theme parks board recently about things not to miss. LOTs of neat ideas for little things that can help make a trip special (like riding with the monorail driver!). Actually, scroll through that board, and you'll get lots of ideas. That's where I found everything my first trip.

I frame a plan. List things you don't want to miss... maybe spectro, illuminations, tower of terror, and Dinosaur? What autographs do you have to get? If it's buzz, you need to get to mgm when he's there! Things you can do without? The don't miss things that have specific times (like sat night for spectro) is what you need to frame your trip around.

Look for posts of things to bring... mister fans from wal-mart, SUNSCREEN, zip-lock bags (handy little things) etc.

Get some ps's and go to a character meal. I think Whispering Canyon is always a hoot!

Be prepared for crowds. Use fastpass. As soon as you realize you're thinking "next trip...." you're sunk!

Your son celebrating a bday should make your trip even more special. Pick a character meal, make a PS ahead of time. Tell the reservationist that you will be celebrating ds' birthday. Let the maitr'd and waitress know too. The table will be decorated with Mickey confetti and they will give him a free cupcake. The first thing you want to do when you get to the park, is to go to City Hall and ask for a birthday button (free). Have ds wear the pin, he will get lots of bday wishes. And hopefully a phone call from Mickey or Goofy, singing happy bday. If they don't do it automatically, make sure to ask for it. Any shop should be able to accomodate you.

Other than that, as far as planning the trip, get ds' input on what he'd like to see and do. You can borrow books from the library. Try to get the one about Disney for kids, by kids. I believe it has alot of pictures that will capture his attention.

Check out wdwig.com- this is as good or better than any guide book I've seen!

Definiely do Magic Morning at MK. Avoid any park having magic Morning, if you don't plan to be there for the early opening.

Get to the parks 40 minutes-1 hr befoe opening- that's right!!! It will save waiting that long for EACH ride.

Decide what attractions you will do at each park before you go. The official site has good descriptions.

Do your main priority attractions first in each park-even if it means skipping a less popular attraction and coming back to it.

Take a mid-day break . After lunch the crowds (and heat) pick up. Go back to your resort, have a swim, nap, and go back to the parks in the evening. All the people who swore they would be there all day usually leave around 4 or 5 looking like they are ready for the grave. I also pack two outfits per day, per person (it gets very sweaty).

Your son may need to rent a stroller. It is a lot of walking and you don't want him to get cramps.

Bring water adn squeeze breeze. Have fun!!!!!

We had six successful trips with our 5yo last year!

Don't forget to take insulated water bottles they are only a few dollars each at walmart, k-mart etc. these are great for when your thirsty and waiting in them lines and they have shoulder straps, we forgot we were carring them.
Ice water is free at any of the stands that have soda, but again you have to wait in line. we filled our bottles at the resort with ice & water.

Make your ps's for lunch and dinner at off hours. like earlier then normal dinner hour and it's not so crowded.

We stayed at allstar movies and loved it. the pool is huge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter