First time to Universal, a few questions please??

Carnut12

Earning My Ears
Happy New Year Everyone!!!!

I joined this forum years ago before my first recent trip to Disney, since then I have been to Disney many times and I feel like I'm well versed from a Disney standpoint. This forum helped A LOT prior to my first trip.

This Trip coming up, 2/16-2/24, we are doing 5 days at Disney 2/16-2/20 and 3 days at Universal Studios 2/21-2/23. Long story short we were actually booked to go to Marco Island, but the Hotel is closed due to storm damage so we changed plans last minute. At first I booked the Hilton Embassy for the entire stay. After much research I changed to staying at Royal Pacific Resort Club Level for the 3 days we are going to Universal, I figured my first time going I should do it right and I wanted the express pass too. We just went to Disney in August so although we will not be staying at a Disney resort we feel we will be fine, we do not plan to spend all day at the parks.

So here are my questions, I will search also, just want to ask a few quick questions prior if that is OK.

1. I bought my park tickets from Undercover Tourist (We have the PTP tickets) and I booked the stay today on the Universal Website, do I have to link the tickets to my stay?
2. How do I get the Express Pass active for the day I check in? We plan to go to Universal the day of our arrival, can I drop my bags off in the AM and just get it done then?
3. The tickets are paper, do they have a form of Magic Bands?

The kids, Twin 12 year old sons and 8 year old daughter, are really excited.

Thank you in advance for any information you could provide!!!

Happy New Year Everyone!!!!

I joined this forum years ago before my first recent trip to Disney, since then I have been to Disney many times and I feel like I'm well versed from a Disney standpoint. This forum helped A LOT prior to my first trip.

This Trip coming up, 2/16-2/24, we are doing 5 days at Disney 2/16-2/20 and 3 days at Universal Studios 2/21-2/23. Long story short we were actually booked to go to Marco Island, but the Hotel is closed due to storm damage so we changed plans last minute. At first I booked the Hilton Embassy for the entire stay. After much research I changed to staying at Royal Pacific Resort Club Level for the 3 days we are going to Universal, I figured my first time going I should do it right and I wanted the express pass too. We just went to Disney in August so although we will not be staying at a Disney resort we feel we will be fine, we do not plan to spend all day at the parks.

So here are my questions, I will search also, just want to ask a few quick questions prior if that is OK.

1. I bought my park tickets from Undercover Tourist (We have the PTP tickets) and I booked the stay today on the Universal Website, do I have to link the tickets to my stay?
2. How do I get the Express Pass active for the day I check in? We plan to go to Universal the day of our arrival, can I drop my bags off in the AM and just get it done then?
3. The tickets are paper, do they have a form of Magic Bands?

The kids, Twin 12 year old sons and 8 year old daughter, are really excited.

Thank you in advance for any information you could provide!!!

1. Don't need to link tickets.
2. Currently your hotel keys will be your express passes. Until recently, you made a picture at a kiosk in the hotel lobby and it printed the express pass. Yes, when you check in at the hotel, if your room is not ready yet, you can leave your stuff and go to the parks right away.
3. No. I recommend a waterproof lanyard for the ticket and key.

Thank you, I just read through some of the 69 pages sticky at the top, it covers a ton for sure.

My kids LOVE Harry Potter and the boys LOVE roller coasters, I am thinking they may enjoy it here more then Disney. I am looking forward to it for sure!!!!

For waterproof lanyards do we just need one that holds something the size of a credit card? Or does it need to be bigger?

We use credit card size ones to hold our tickets and hotel room key. On wet rides or roller coasters, we just tuck the lanyard inside our shirts. Have fun!

For waterproof lanyards do we just need one that holds something the size of a credit card? Or does it need to be bigger?

If I'm carrying a wallet (I usually do in the Studios), I use a USO lanyard with the included zipper pouch. If I'm not carrying a wallet (water rides at IoA), I use a Witz See It Safe lanyard, so I can also put a credit card, cash, and ID in too. I really like both options.

Whichever way you go, remember to drop the lanyard down your shirt before riding. I've read reports of people losing their lanyards on even mild rides.

Watch the first HP movie shortly before your trip. It will increase your enjoyment of DA and Hogsmeade. :) There are a ton of details from the books as well. Be sure to buy at least one interactive wand so all of you can do the spells! Unless everyone really wants their own to once you’re home, one is enough, or two if you split into two groups; only one person at a time can cast a spell at each location anyways.

Thank you, I just read through some of the 69 pages sticky at the top, it covers a ton for sure.

My kids LOVE Harry Potter and the boys LOVE roller coasters, I am thinking they may enjoy it here more then Disney. I am looking forward to it for sure!!!!

Lol......there’s a very good chance you’ll be right!

The amount of people who post their kids now prefer Universal to Disney is high! But, hope you all have a lovely trip.......

You can buy lanyards at Universal also... hogwarts, griffendor, slithering, etc. also non-HP themed ones. I like to bring my ID, a cc and a little cash in the lanyard too.

You also get early admission to Wizarding World of Harry Potter by staying onsite. You just have to show your room ticket. With the HP rides now using Express pass, you may want use the early admission to go through the regular line to see the full queue. Don’t know if the express line bypasses some of it. There is a lot of details in the queue once you get to Hogwarts and Gringotts.

Wow great information everyone!!!! Funny I am a little excited about Disney, but REALLY excited about Universal. I am already thinking about planning a return trip next year. February Break always falls on Presidents Day week, I could buy Annual Passes and go the last 3-4 days of the kids break one year and the first 3-4 days the next year. I noticed the room discounts you get the AP would more then pay off.

We are club level as I stated above so we were thinking we would get a quick bite each morning and head out for the early opening. I have 3 lunch's to plan, so far it looks like Three Broomsticks, Leaky Cauldron, and the 3rd is still a toss up. 2 dinners we are thinking Mytho's and Cowfish.

Mythos can close early, so double check times if you want to have dinner there.

Wow great information everyone!!!! Funny I am a little excited about Disney, but REALLY excited about Universal. I am already thinking about planning a return trip next year. February Break always falls on Presidents Day week, I could buy Annual Passes and go the last 3-4 days of the kids break one year and the first 3-4 days the next year. I noticed the room discounts you get the AP would more then pay off.

We are club level as I stated above so we were thinking we would get a quick bite each morning and head out for the early opening. I have 3 lunch's to plan, so far it looks like Three Broomsticks, Leaky Cauldron, and the 3rd is still a toss up. 2 dinners we are thinking Mytho's and Cowfish.

I'd do a late breakfast/early lunch one day at Three Broomsticks instead of doing lunch there. Their breakfasts are yummy! And I'd also move Mythos to the 3rd lunch, and do a dinner at Toothsome. We loved the food and the theming so much that we ate there twice on our last trip!

You also get early admission to Wizarding World of Harry Potter by staying onsite. You just have to show your room ticket. With the HP rides now using Express pass, you may want use the early admission to go through the regular line to see the full queue. Don’t know if the express line bypasses some of it. There is a lot of details in the queue once you get to Hogwarts and Gringotts.

Express line bypasses a little of the Forbidden journey queue (it stll has the two main indoor pre-show scenes with Dumbledore and Harry, Ron, and Hermoine). You pretty much get the full experience taking express on Gringotts, it just bypasses the pictures.

I'm thinking of booking a night at an onsite hotel to get the Early Entry. I have to drive/park at the hotel and get my room key from a kiosk the morning of my reservation before the parks open, get my EP, then go to the parks? What time do you recommend arriving in the morning to get checked in and take full advantage of your day in the parks?

If i book a room for a Saturday night then I get EP for Saturday AND Sunday correct?

I'm thinking of booking a night at an onsite hotel to get the Early Entry. I have to drive/park at the hotel and get my room key from a kiosk the morning of my reservation before the parks open, get my EP, then go to the parks? What time do you recommend arriving in the morning to get checked in and take full advantage of your day in the parks?

If i book a room for a Saturday night then I get EP for Saturday AND Sunday correct?
Yes, one night stay equals two day EP.

We always fly in from Ohio and get to the hotel at 11am. We are in the parks by 11:30 to noon. Get you room key, which I guess is now your EP, no more kiosks, and give luggage/overnight bag to concierge and get on a boat. Super simple!

You get a text when your room is ready, so no worries. If you are enjoying yourself at the parks, there is no need to stop when you get that text, keep touring and go back when you want!

As VacaPlanner has covered the EP is now room key once again.......no having to take pictures at the booth anymore........

Leave any luggage with Bell services and head to the parks........it only takes around a few minutes to get from HRH, less than 10 from RPR and slightly longer from PBH......of course you can take the boats too.......

Also, you can check in at the hotel early enough to get EE your first morning (if you are so inclined). They most likely won't have your room ready that early (though there has been a time or two I was offered a room even that early.)

And to add on to the comment above about receiving a text that your room is ready, in that text they will tell you your room number. Since you have already checked-in, you won't have to stop by the front desk again (unless you just really want to say hi or something. :) ) When you come back, pick up your bags at the concierge and head to your room. The EP/Room Keys they gave you earlier will automatically work for your room.

Mythos can close early, so double check times if you want to have dinner there.

Thank you for making me aware, they do close early both nights, the latest I could reserve was 4:30pm so we are skipping Mythos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter