First timer for one day visit

Finkerfell

Mouseketeer
Hello all! I'm a WDW vet but this will be my first trip to Disneyland. We have only one day, and I've read through a lot of these threads, but still unsure what to do. Galaxy's Edge is a priority- do we do that first or get a fast pass for this? Second highest priority is Haunted Mansion- is fastness needed for this one? We are staying offsite at a Holiday Inn so imagine we don't get morning magic. Any advice is appreciated!

Galaxy's edge is better later in the day. It has the longest waits early in the morning. Right now there is no fastpass for it.

Haunted mansion is currently closed for the NMBC overlay, so I am assuming you will be going when it's up. In that case, yes..you will need a fastpass for it. It is very popular during Halloween and Christmas. I recommend using maxpass so you don't have to run around and choose fastpasses from the kiosks.

Thank you. Hard to believe that with all the planning involved in a WDW vacation, I'm overwhelmed with this. So we can get maxpasses after we enter the park? then we can book fast passes for the whole day or one at a time? And world of color is a separate fast pass?

Don't feel too overwhelmed! While some planning can optimize your day, a person randomly dropped at the DLR gates with no plan can definitely enjoy a day at Disneyland. That's the beauty of Disneyland - it's more laid back, spontaneous, and everything is very walkable so if you have to skip over something, just go back later in the day. FastPasses will make your day even better. The FP system works the way that it used to at WDW (before FP+); you can walk up to kiosks at rides that offer FP and pull a ticket, which will tell you to return within a specific time frame later in the day. You don't get to choose the timeframe. They start distributing the earliest time slots first thing in the day, and move on to the next time slots as all of those tickets get pulled. MaxPass allows you to do the same thing, but using an app on your phone, rather than walking around to the ride kiosks.

My best advice is to try to be there at opening. The first two hours in the day will be much quieter, cooler, and less crowded. You can get a lot done. Crowds build as the day goes on.

Some threads with good information for you:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- a classic thread -- pre-SWGE, but still very helpful!
Halloween Time Superthread 2019: "Oogie Boogie Bash" Party to Be Held in DCA ONLY! -- ask any questions about this super fun, busy season here!
New SWGE Superthread! Now Open to All! (6/24/2019) -- ask your SWGE planning questions here!
"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/ -- study this thread and ask questions here -- you'll get great help!
Download the free DLR app now (make sure to get the latest version) and start playing with it to get used to it. You'll waste less time on your park day if you're already familiar with the app. Have a credit card on file so that you can get MP right after activating your tickets at the gate and use Mobile Ordering at CS locations. (Study the menus on the app and the DLR website ahead of your trip so that you'll know where to go -- and where to skip!)

World of Color is in the DCA Park. Are you getting park hoppers? Your other priorities are at DL, so you’d need hoppers to hit all of what you’ve listed. We are WDW vets and we love Disneyland! Have a great trip.
My question is are they park hopping, too. If they will be, this changes things. DCA has some rides that run out of FPs pretty early in comparison to the other rides (Radiator Springs Racers and Toy Story Midway Mania). If park hopping, go grab those first--absolutely! If not, don't even worry about it. Go to the bigger e-ticket rides in Disneyland first like Space Mountain or even Matterhorn since it's only got one track open. Big Thunder, depending on how busy it is, can get up to about 40-50 minute standby wait time, so you could easily grab FPs for that. Splash Mountain, depending on how hot it is and closer to 11a-12p tends to get pretty busy as the heat rolls in. I would suggest an FP for that, too.

Don't feel overwhelmed! Disneyland is so less stressful than WDW, just different.

Definitely get a Park Hopper! Once you have MaxPass, you can book FPs through the app for either park, and it's super easy to go from one to the other if an availability pops up later in the day.

As someone who has only been to Disneyland one day at a time (usually for a 14 hour day), I can assure you that you can get a TON done in one day, even if it's crowded, when you have a Park Hopper and MaxPass. Definitely get there early and have a general game plan in mind (which park to do first, any rides you want to prioritize, about how long you want to dedicate to being at GE) but then keep an eye on FP availability throughout the day to grab more. You will have more flexibility than you realize!

Make a list of priorities for each person in your group. Choose 3 things for each category:
1. Must Do (this includes rides, food, shopping, characters, shows, parades, etc.) -- define this as, "If we leave today without seeing/doing/meeting _____, I will be very disappointed!" (Tell everyone to keep their top 3 reasonable! No fair choosing things that are just going to be impossible/nearly impossible to pull off in one day.)
2. Would Like to Do -- define this as, "If we have the time, I would really like to see/do/try _______!"
3. Take It or Leave It -- define this as, " If we see/do this, fine. If we don't, fine."
Try to do everyone's 'Must Do's" -- that way everyone ends the day satisfied. If you can do at least 1 thing off everyone's "Would Like to Do" list, great! The "Take It or Leave It" lists are for time filler and on the fly plan changes, e.g. if a ride goes down while you are in the line and another nearby line/M&G/shop/specialty food item location/show/etc. has a short line -- go for it!

Don't feel too overwhelmed! While some planning can optimize your day, a person randomly dropped at the DLR gates with no plan can definitely enjoy a day at Disneyland. That's the beauty of Disneyland - it's more laid back, spontaneous, and everything is very walkable so if you have to skip over something, just go back later in the day. FastPasses will make your day even better. The FP system works the way that it used to at WDW (before FP+); you can walk up to kiosks at rides that offer FP and pull a ticket, which will tell you to return within a specific time frame later in the day. You don't get to choose the timeframe. They start distributing the earliest time slots first thing in the day, and move on to the next time slots as all of those tickets get pulled. MaxPass allows you to do the same thing, but using an app on your phone, rather than walking around to the ride kiosks.

My best advice is to try to be there at opening. The first two hours in the day will be much quieter, cooler, and less crowded. You can get a lot done. Crowds build as the day goes on.
We will be on central time, so getting up early to rope drop will be no problem! Thank you!!

Some threads with good information for you:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- a classic thread -- pre-SWGE, but still very helpful!
Halloween Time Superthread 2019: "Oogie Boogie Bash" Party to Be Held in DCA ONLY! -- ask any questions about this super fun, busy season here!
New SWGE Superthread! Now Open to All! (6/24/2019) -- ask your SWGE planning questions here!
"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/ -- study this thread and ask questions here -- you'll get great help!
Download the free DLR app now (make sure to get the latest version) and start playing with it to get used to it. You'll waste less time on your park day if you're already familiar with the app. Have a credit card on file so that you can get MP right after activating your tickets at the gate and use Mobile Ordering at CS locations. (Study the menus on the app and the DLR website ahead of your trip so that you'll know where to go -- and where to skip!)
Thank you!

Make a list of priorities for each person in your group. Choose 3 things for each category:
1. Must Do (this includes rides, food, shopping, characters, shows, parades, etc.) -- define this as, "If we leave today without seeing/doing/meeting _____, I will be very disappointed!" (Tell everyone to keep their top 3 reasonable! No fair choosing things that are just going to be impossible/nearly impossible to pull off in one day.)
2. Would Like to Do -- define this as, "If we have the time, I would really like to see/do/try _______!"
3. Take It or Leave It -- define this as, " If we see/do this, fine. If we don't, fine."
Try to do everyone's 'Must Do's" -- that way everyone ends the day satisfied. If you can do at least 1 thing off everyone's "Would Like to Do" list, great! The "Take It or Leave It" lists are for time filler and on the fly plan changes, e.g. if a ride goes down while you are in the line and another nearby line/M&G/shop/specialty food item location/show/etc. has a short line -- go for it!
I have been promising my girls to see the Haunted Mansion Holiday for 10 years!! If we can get on Pirates and Small World, we will all be happy. Mostly want to soak up the atmosphere and relax with Grandma.

My question is are they park hopping, too. If they will be, this changes things. DCA has some rides that run out of FPs pretty early in comparison to the other rides (Radiator Springs Racers and Toy Story Midway Mania). If park hopping, go grab those first--absolutely! If not, don't even worry about it. Go to the bigger e-ticket rides in Disneyland first like Space Mountain or even Matterhorn since it's only got one track open. Big Thunder, depending on how busy it is, can get up to about 40-50 minute standby wait time, so you could easily grab FPs for that. Splash Mountain, depending on how hot it is and closer to 11a-12p tends to get pretty busy as the heat rolls in. I would suggest an FP for that, too.
I don;t think we we be able to park hop. Got grandma with us and don't want to try and cover too much. Thanks for the help!!

I don;t think we we be able to park hop. Got grandma with us and don't want to try and cover too much. Thanks for the help!!

I think you're wise to adjust your approach and expectations according to the group you're with. There have been times when we've covered a lot of ground quickly to take advantage of short lines (using the app to find them) and whatever Fastpasses offered the best returns with little consideration for distance. On the other hand, I've been there with Grandpa and Grandma, too. And then the approach changed to a more methodical crawl from one attraction to one next door to it, regardless of lines. And that was a good day, too -- more relaxed and not quite as driven. A one-size-fits-all approach isn't always the best.

WDW was my home park for years until 2013. Now it's DLR all the way.

DLR is much easier to do than WDW thanks to the classic FP system. Remember the good old days at WDW? Maxpass makes it even more of a breeze.

We could give more specific advice if you provide a list of rides you'd like to hit.

If you're going at ropedrop, you should easily be able to hit 3-4 rides in the first hour. If you really want to do HM Holiday, I would go back to that ride first so you don't need to waste a FP on it. Then you can hit Pirates, BTMRR, and Indy. You may be able to knock all that out in the first 1-1.5 hours and then take a break at Jolly Holliday before hitting some more rides.

I'm assuming you'd want to hit the rides that are either not in WDW or greatly different than WDW, which is a lot: Alice, Casey Jr., Storybookland Canal Boat Ride, Mr. Toad, IASM, Roger Rabbit, Buzz, Space Mtn., Thunder Mtn., Indy, Pirates, HM Holiday, and I'm sure I'm missing a few... I'm not even thinking of DCA, which also has a whole host of attractions not at WDW.

Be sure to visit Galaxy's Edge after sunset. It's a different place. Later in the day also tends to show smaller wait times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter