first visit to wdw just a few questions

mickey's minnie

Earning My Ears
LOL,you guys and gals are super here I've been reading and reading and learning alot,my few questions are this.me and 4 kids 13,11,7&4 will be going in 12/02I'm wondering what should I do first book rooms or make travel arraingments?we are going to fly and I don't know if we are staying onsite or not.Do they make reservations this far in advance?we are staying 10 days so any help would be appriciated thank you

If you are talking about hotel reservations, yes, they do book those this far in advance. Airline reservations depend on what airline you are flying. I would suggest you decide where you want to stay and book the hotel first. If you aren't certain of what days you want to fly, I would book at the hotel either side of your 10 days, knowing you can cancel the extra days if you need to once you buy your airline tickets. Sometimes deals come out based on the day of the week you fly so it is nice to be flexible. As far as room rates go, you can lock a room in and then keep watching to see if you can get a discount. Happy planning!

Disnee Dad Says...................................................... By all means book your rooms, you are picking the perfect time of year. And maybe the parks will be open more than four hours a day!! Just kidding, it's just this November they can't even tell you what the park hours are and are cutting everything. I would wait on the airfare, it's too early and you need to know exact dates to get the best rates. Some say book airfare early, some say wait. I live on the West Coast and look for a price under $250 round trip, as soon as I can get it I get it, be nine months before for four months before. I got my price, but unfortunately I could get it for $178 now with no effort. If you stay on site and want to save a lttile money, go for a room at DIXIE LANDINGS in the Alligator Bayou section, they come with a trundle bed so you can squeeze five into one room, though it will be tight. The once proud DIXIE LANDINGS is now called port orleans-riverside (sounds like anursing home). I don't know what became of Alligator Bayou, they probably changed it to Riverside Retirement section!! Buy a couple books and read these posts, and come up with a game plan. You can tour like a grizzled old veteran on your first trip, because you'll be prepared. Book rooms first, you can cancel. Get air when you know exactly when you are going to go.

for 10 days book a 2 bedroom in a home away from home, now. youll get a full kitchen so you can feed your brood breakfast in the mornings and eat any other meals youd like to save money on. and with the living room, you can have the older kids up while the little ones nap or go to bed early.

wait on the air tickets until you see the fare you want.

now family of 6 stayed in a cabin at Fort Wilderness and it worked out great for us. The kitchen was great for cereal, sandwich fixings and snacks. There's a double bed in the back bedroom with 2 bunk beds, then a pull down murphy bed in the main part of the cabin. I will suggest if reserving at Ft. Wilderness to try to rent a golf cart to get around. We didn't know about them, and they sure looked handy as Fort Wilderness is pretty spread out. Good luck!
Wendy

I'm so confused!!!!!!!!LOL ok, first things first, I can see this is going to be a long drawn out process.wev'e nailed down the dates yippee!!! 12/09/02-12/19/02 now I wanted to stay at the all stars movies but they only accomidate 4 per room so would I have to get another room for 1 or pay extra for the other person? or I thought about the port orleans that can accomidate the 5 of us.when i checked the prices for the port orleans it's 3,788 and some change is this a good price?for 10 nights?then I noticed there is port orleans riverside and port orleans french quarters,what is the difference?and do you guys prefer one over the other and why?and finally will it be to cold in florida that time of year for the kids to swim in the pools? I really appriciate all the help.and disneedad you are to funny LOLoh and I couldn't get a price check for the allstars movies

disnee Dad Says................................................................ I'm so confused!!!!!!!! What do you get for 3788??? Must be some package deal. If you got air, room and tickets for five for $3788, then WE NEED YOU, YOU DON"T NEED US!!! If it's just room and tickets, then you can do better. It is a long process, but eventually you get it all down. Even a restraunt plan, which for you would go like this. 13 yo and Mom to get in separate lines to better the odds of finding the short line. 11yo takes 4 yo to bathroom to take care of business while 7 yo hunts down elusive table for five and guards it with his/her life!! On way back 11yo and 4 yo get napkins, catsup etc and find 7yo to provide reinforcements. The elders arrive heroically, tray of life saving nutrition in hand !!!

If you are booking air and hotel separately - you can book the room now and then wait to see what discounts come out and have your reservations changed to whatever code it is. You can currently get AAA discounts for 2002 or Disney Club discounts.
You can only book airfare 330 days ahead of time.

If you are booking a package then you can probably do it now through Disney Unlimited (this board) or a travel agent or Disney world directly.

The 5 in a room you can get 2 rooms at All Stars,
1 room in Port Orleans Riverside - Alligator Bayou area fits 5 or Home away from home resort or Fort Wilderness cabins.

the 3,788 and change was for a room nothing else!!!!!! we are concentrating on the room right now, Disnee dad, now that we have a plan of attack to eat thats one less thing I have to worry about,you've obviously done this several times LOL So josie if I book rooms now then find a discount code i can apply it at a later date? I'm just trying to go as cheap as possible.with 4 girls and 1 boy I think the allstars movies or port orleans is going to be our choice to stay at. do you guys like the fort wilderness?I juess i'm not as attracted to that as the others.riverside or french quarters? I just want them all to have a nice time at the parks and where we are staying, not that we will be there that much so I guess it really dosn't matter LOL AND believe me Disnee Dad I need you all way more than you need me oh and should I book room and tickets together or can I do better buying them seperately?

Minnie,
I think you might want to check out the budget board! I've read lots of good hints there and found a couple of good websites (mousesavers.com was one).
Since you are staying 10 days, an AP (Annual Pass) might be a good investment-I've heard lots about AP discounts on rooms (almost half off in some cases). Also, there's a "break even point" on the APs that I think is close to 10 days as far as the cost involved.
You might also check out the DVC Rent/Trade board to look for a deal and possibly rent a 1 bedroom villa at Boardwalk, Wilderness Lodge, or Old Key West. Check out the FAQ sections on the DVC Forum and the DVC Rent/Trade Forum if you have questions.
Wendy

$3788 for a room only is waaaaaay tooooooooo much! I think you'll be really cramped in a PO room, too. Check out the cabins at FW--often they can be had for about $170 a night, and you'll love the room and the resort! You are going early enough in December that the rates should be lower. You may also want to consider getting an Annual Pass for yourself, and then you can check for AP rates. Actually, I think you can check for AP rates first, and then buy an AP if you get the discount on the room. You might also find getting a Disney Club membership would save some money on room and tickets.

You'll have a great time, but you will really have to do your homework to be sure you get the best deals. You've started in the right place, and you have tons of time, so you'll do great!

You can also check in at the Camping board to get info about FW and the cabins. We love to talk about FW!!

Barbara
214 days till I go 'home' to FW

boy, I hate to be so ignorant on such things as this, I'm so glad I found this board,I'm beginning to think we should stay at the wilderness the very last thing I want is to be cramped.mabey I should go get the AP first then concetrate on getting the best room rate.how many do I need ?just 1 or 5? LOL I don't know how you all do this all the time but I have a feeling I'm going to learn something new here everyday!!!you are all such a help.

To gat an AP rate on your room watch these boards and mousesavers.com. You don't need to have an AP before you book your hotel but you do need it when you check in.

For 5 people I would look into the Fort Wilderness homes or the Villas at Disney Institute. Both of these have kitchens which can save on some of your meals, especially breakfast. I believe they run about $150-170 a night which is only around $1500 for your room. $3,788 for a room is way too much unless you are staying at a deluxe hotel.

The begining of December can have changing weather. We did swim three years ago though. Try keeping kids out of the pools! It is a great time of year to visit. The Christmas decorations are up and there are special activities going on.

Keep asking questions and reading these boards and you will find all the info you need. Happy planning.

If you haven't, you may want to check out Deb's site-- WDWIG.com There is a ton of information there, and you can check out the FAQ's on the different resorts.

1. Go to the bookstore and get a couple of guides
2. Visit Deb's site, as well as the official site and decide on a resort (don't worry too about prices just yet, because the discounts will come at practically the last minute). Even if one person bought an AP, you can get the AP rate. Keep checking mousesavers.com
3. Plan your days and meals (with 10 days you will want a few "rest" days in between). You might want to do "special things", like the MMVMCP.
Can't give advice on plane tickets -I live 3 hrs away

Our family has stayed several places on site. With your family size, I suggest wilderness lodge junior suite. It had two queens in one room and a fold out queen sofa in living room and held the 6 of us fine. Great convenience to MK. Do airfares first, then hotel onsite using discount codes link in resort discussion in the main forum. If you want a fun water park, blizzard beach is great! Our youngest daughter got to be captain of the lifeguards when we went! You'll have a great time. Stay on-site; you won't regret it.

Disnee Dad Says..............................................................I buy you books and send you to school, wait, no thats what I tell my daughter! Stay at Disney Institute or Fort Wilderness, if you want a little extra room, I think the Villa at DI have kitchens. Your 3788 confounds me to this day, I can stay at the Grand Floridian for less than that! You only need one AP, to get the room rates, and you don't need it till you get there. Being able to eat breakfast and/or dinner at your room will save some money, but takes a little away from the vacation atmosphere. As you plan your food budget, remember the serving sizes in the parks are pretty large. A few times we have split two kids meals between me, DW and DD. When touring, we do tend to eat four smaller meals a day to keep up the energy. Don't think you need two or three adult meals and two or three kid meals at each meal. Gotta go, 9days, 22 hours and counting!

I recommend Holiday Inn Family Suites in a Kidsuite. About $100 a night, free huge breakfast buffet, great pool, 2 bedrooms, sleeps 6, and enough space and kitchen to get you by. Also, verrrrrrrrry close to Disney Parks on a road that is direct access. Your kids will love the video player and the Nintendo in the room. Rent a car.

Also, at Holiday Inn FS, HI puts out buy one get one free coupons usually in October, which brings your cost per night down to about $70. Watch for those next year and call right away to convert your rate.

Did I say that kids also eat free with adult at the food court all day? Pizza Hut, A & W, and sit down restuarant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter