First week of Paradise Pier and Main Street Closures

They have fireworks on the schedule for the end of February so I would think there is a good chance the walls on main street and around the castle will all be gone by Then! Keeping my fingers crossed, we go the 3rd week in march!

They have fireworks on the schedule for the end of February so I would think there is a good chance the walls on main street and around the castle will all be gone by Then! Keeping my fingers crossed, we go the 3rd week in march!

Not anymore they don't - they were listed for weekends end of February and early March - I was hoping the same thing for our trip - but they removed them so I now think this may be in place well into March - maybe even through Spring Break - which would make it all the more crowded.

They added them back in? They had fireworks starting again on Feb 19 but then they were pulled from the schedule.

Paradise Pier question - seeing the construction it's all a bit distracting but I am wondering about the evenings - does the wheel still light up - does it still have all the lights on the pier? That is a big aspect of the park - I am guessing if they are doing WOC then they must have the wheel still lit?

Yes and they are now slightly bigger since it's no longer a circular wall... each hub has a longer wall segment coming down the center of Main Street although the one from the hub in front of the castle is much longer. Much of Main Street is blocked off. It doesn't look great.

Thanks, that’s too bad :(

Paradise Pier question - seeing the construction it's all a bit distracting but I am wondering about the evenings - does the wheel still light up - does it still have all the lights on the pier? That is a big aspect of the park - I am guessing if they are doing WOC then they must have the wheel still lit?

I haven't stayed for nighttime at DCA since they started working on everything but seeing the wheel with all the scaffolding on it today makes me think they are not using that in WOC. I could be wrong though. Hopefully someone will report back.

I haven't stayed for nighttime at DCA since they started working on everything but seeing the wheel with all the scaffolding on it today makes me think they are not using that in WOC. I could be wrong though. Hopefully someone will report back.

Yes, I hope others will comment - however when I first saw the picture I didn't even notice the scaffolding - it wasn't until I read the comment - so at night with all the lights? Who knows. If the pier is not lit up though then we will do DCA during the day and DL at night for sure.

YES! Even without the ride vehicles, the Mickey wheel still lights up, the circle in the roller coaster still does its thing and during WOC you would never know that PP is under construction. At least that was the case last week...

YES! Even without the ride vehicles, the Mickey wheel still lights up, the circle in the roller coaster still does its thing and during WOC you would never know that PP is under construction. At least that was the case last week...

Thank you - hopefully they keep that plugged in!

Out of curiosity, was the scaffolding up last week?

Not anymore they don't - they were listed for weekends end of February and early March - I was hoping the same thing for our trip - but they removed them so I now think this may be in place well into March - maybe even through Spring Break - which would make it all the more crowded.

They added them back in? They had fireworks starting again on Feb 19 but then they were pulled from the schedule.
Oh I didn't realize they had taken them back off! I haven't looked in a little while. Darn :(

Let me preface this by saying the weather has been great and we are having a lovely time despite the construction, BUT if you don’t come to Disneyland often I would recommend waiting until the construction is over. We typically travel to WDW each winter and decided to try Disneyland this year for a change of pace. We had only been here for one day 3 years ago so this is our first real visit. California Adventure didn’t even take a full day and we did everything. The construction here was not a huge distraction though. Disneyland is another story. It is so very unmagical right now with the hubs and main street walled off. I was really looking forward to the charm of Walt’s original park and there were little glimpses with the band playing on the carousel and the roaming characters throughout but overall without the main street vehicles, parades, etc this trip cannot compare to our previous Disney vacations. Of course by the time any of this was announced it was too late to cancel or change our flights. Our trip has been great but if I could have rescheduled or waited a few months, in hindsight, I would. Disneyland is a 5 hour flight for us compared to 2 1/2 for WDW so it may be awhile before we return.

Let me preface this by saying the weather has been great and we are having a lovely time despite the construction, BUT if you don’t come to Disneyland often I would recommend waiting until the construction is over. We typically travel to WDW each winter and decided to try Disneyland this year for a change of pace. We had only been here for one day 3 years ago so this is our first real visit. California Adventure didn’t even take a full day and we did everything. The construction here was not a huge distraction though. Disneyland is another story. It is so very unmagical right now with the hubs and main street walled off. I was really looking forward to the charm of Walt’s original park and there were little glimpses with the band playing on the carousel and the roaming characters throughout but overall without the main street vehicles, parades, etc this trip cannot compare to our previous Disney vacations. Of course by the time any of this was announced it was too late to cancel or change our flights. Our trip has been great but if I could have rescheduled or waited a few months, in hindsight, I would. Disneyland is a 5 hour flight for us compared to 2 1/2 for WDW so it may be awhile before we return.

The walls and everything don't bother me too much since I'm local and I have an AP and will be back. But during my recent visits I keep thinking of what a giant bummer all of this work is for people who are doing a first trip or once-in-a-lifetime trip. And it's not just Main Street, Fantasyland is all walled up (Dumbo) and you can't even walk from Mr. Toad's Wild Ride to say, the Red Rose Tavern because a huge wall is up so you must go all the way around the carousel. IASW is all walled up. Splash Mountain is down for refurb. Add all that to the Main Street construction and it's a lot down at one time. There is even a huge wall in Down Town Disney near the Naples restaurant. I'm glad you're having a good time and I hope you continue to spot glimpses of magic in your trip. Today when I walked onto Main Street right before rope drop the Dapper Dans were putting on a really lovely performance and I saw Mary Poppins walking with Burt and a penguin through Fantasyland holding the hands of two little girls, it was very sweet. Lots of magic still, but I do 100% agree with what you're saying.

It does sound like it’s almost beyond a few rides down like normal for this time of year. It just sounds nasty and honestly I’m questioning if it’s worth the $ for a trip from Canada. I’ve not bought our tickets just cause mentally I keep thinking we might pull the plug.

The walls and everything don't bother me too much since I'm local and I have an AP and will be back. But during my recent visits I keep thinking of what a giant bummer all of this work is for people who are doing a first trip or once-in-a-lifetime trip. And it's not just Main Street, Fantasyland is all walled up (Dumbo) and you can't even walk from Mr. Toad's Wild Ride to say, the Red Rose Tavern because a huge wall is up so you must go all the way around the carousel. IASW is all walled up. Splash Mountain is down for refurb. Add all that to the Main Street construction and it's a lot down at one time. There is even a huge wall in Down Town Disney near the Naples restaurant. I'm glad you're having a good time and I hope you continue to spot glimpses of magic in your trip. Today when I walked onto Main Street right before rope drop the Dapper Dans were putting on a really lovely performance and I saw Mary Poppins walking with Burt and a penguin through Fantasyland holding the hands of two little girls, it was very sweet. Lots of magic still, but I do 100% agree with what you're saying.

Thanks for keeping us updated :goodvibes We arrive next Saturday from the UK (11.5 hour flight eek!) and this will be my first trip ever to California and Disneyland so I'm a bit sad about all the construction / no fireworks, but it's still Disney and there's still much that I'm looking forward to! Just gives us another reason to come back :thumbsup2

Were the two main street hubs were walled off on January 8th? I am sad that there are so many walls up. My sister is going next week with her family and hasn't been for 8 years. I'm hoping for a small miracle that some of the work on Main street will get finished soon.

It does sound like it’s almost beyond a few rides down like normal for this time of year. It just sounds nasty and honestly I’m questioning if it’s worth the $ for a trip from Canada. I’ve not bought our tickets just cause mentally I keep thinking we might pull the plug.

It looks like from your signature we will be going around the same time in March! God I'm hoping they at least have a lot of the Main Street stuff done by the time we go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter