• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flying out of Boston instead of Burlington

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
It is significantly cheaper to fly April break from Boston than BTV, however there is the included factor and hassle of driving to Boston. We are hoping to get down there for five nights and four days in Orlando. Has anyone flown out of Boston instead of BTV and was it better? Where should we park? Thank you!!

Boston person here...for parking you'd probably be better off parking in the economy lot. A shuttle bus picks up and drops off at the different terminals.

Is it really a cost savings when factoring in the parking cost there, fuel and time difference if it's substantially longer, only you can make that choice. I've never flown out of Burlington so I don't know.

Personally, if I had my way, I would have a private plane at the airport where my husband flies out of (Beverly) and then getting to the airport would be a breeze. Alas, I'm not in any danger of coming into that kind of money anytime soon.

That’s a long drive. Have you priced out flights from Manchester, NH?

Otherwise, I like parking in economy lot. But that’s usually for 1 or 2 nights. 5 nights will add up. But it’s slightly cheaper if you book online in advance. There are also still other park and fly lots i believe.

I'm so sorry for the unhelpful reply. Logan itself is a good airport. It's just a pain to get in and out, due to traffic and pop-up constructions.

Our pied-à-terre is 3.5 miles from the airport. It has taken us anywhere from 20 minutes to over an hour to get in, even longer to get out.

Central Parking (that's the actual name of the structure) is the most convenient since it connects to all 4 terminals via covered walkways. The current rate is $58/first day and $29/each additional day.

Central Parking (that's the actual name of the structure) is the most convenient since it connects to all 4 terminals via covered walkways. The current rate is $58/first day and $29/each additional day.
You can also pre-book a spot in any of their parking lots and get a savings as compared to just driving up, not sure if your rates are those :).
https://www.massport.com/logan-airport/getting-to-logan/parking

I did a sample 5 nights checking into parking on April 7 at 6a and out on April 12 at 11:45p and economy comes to $150 and Terminal B and Central Parking lots would be $219, drive up would be $192 (econ) or $246.

If you have an early flight look into some of the surrounding hotels at Logan. Most have a Stay/Park/Fly rates and shuttles to the airport.

I would compare prices and which airport has the best options for your trip. Do you prefer non-stop flights or traveling at a certain time of day? How far is it to these airports from your home and how convenient is it to get there? Most larger airports also have those off-site "park & fly" places which are generally cheaper than airport parking and also drops you at the departure area.

Some smaller airports mostly have connecting flights that stop at other places. If a connecting flight stops at that other airport, then you haven't really gained much by doing that. Where I used to live there were 2 different airports I could use. Often times it depended on where I was going since for some trips the one airport was the best option, while for others it wasn't.

Another vote to consider Manchester, NH, MHT. When we go to MCO we always fly Southwest out of MHT. There is one non-stop a day (used to be two) and a lot of connecting flights. Watch the connecting airport and times, southwest will suggest some long total travel times. We always fly the non-stop.

I've flown out of Logan on business and would always opt to get a limo to avoid the stress of driving.

I've flown out of Logan on business and would always opt to get a limo to avoid the stress of driving.
My husband used to do the same. The time we flew on a family vacation we also did the same, turns out the cost of the limo was basically the same as parking or a little more expensive. But then we didn't have to deal with the hassle of driving.

OP: I'm not sure where you are, but I would not drive much more than 90 minutes to choose to fly out of Logan, unless someone else was doing the driving. The traffic is too unpredictable and I HATE driving to Logan in general. On a perfect day, Logan is only about 45-50 minutes. But one car accident and it'll be closer to 75 or 90 (if I'm lucky).

Another vote to look at Manchester NH or if you are honestly considering what is probably a 3+ hour drive to Boston maybe look at Albany NY. A long drive can be a real killer trying to get home at the end of vacation, though. Manchester is a much easier airport and shorter drive.

If you are considering Manchester, look into some of the park-n-fly rates at the local hotels. We've found that it's usually more affordable to park at a hotel the night before our flight and pay to leave the car there for the duration of the trip. I believe Concord Coach runs a bus from MHT to BOS (but it could be CandJ bus).

Second suggestion: I am not sure how long the drive to Portsmouth, NH, would be, but if you are flying out of Logan, consider driving to Portsmouth and parking at the CandJ Bus parking lot and taking the bus into town. Parking is free, and the bus runs pretty much hourly. I also think (could be wrong) that if you call them when the bus leaves Logan on the way home, they'll bring your car from the lot right to the terminal (but you might have to valet park for this, I'm not sure).

Just make sure that you'll be saving enough in airfare to be worth the hassle of getting to Logan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter