For those of you that stay deluxe - what do you do for a living?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a psychologist in private practice, my wife is a librarian at a local college, and we have two daughters who are just entering their teen years. I would say that our lifestyle is fairly modest, we do not carry any credit card debt, and we drive our cars until they literally disintegrate into dust (I still drive a Subaru Forester that I purchased used, back in 2000, and it has over 275,000 miles on it.) I would say that we enjoy staying at deluxe resorts because we enjoy immersing ourselves within the Disney experience as much as we can, although we have stayed at every resort tier at one point or another. I do not mind paying the "Disney Upgrade" that comes with staying at Disney, as we do not do Disney every year, and when we do, I always seek out the room discounts.

I often wonder that if Disney is/has been raising the prices to the point where we are questioning our sanity

I agree to some extent. We just got back (stayed at the Dolphin) and had breakfast at GF. Brought back so many memories my wife and I talked about treating our adult children and their families to a stay there when our 50th wedding anniversary comes up in 7 years. It would require 4 rooms.

Then I checked the prices today! And projected them 7 years out.

Hmmm - maybe a split stay?

We do very well.

I do have to say that staying deluxe never used to be an issue. It still isn't, but the outrageous prices now cause us to stop and re-think. We do not go as often anymore and do not find the same value for what we pay. However, we do still go.( and I feel that I'm contributing to the crazy so it makes me feel guilty!)

I often wonder that if Disney is/has been raising the prices to the point where we are questioning our sanity, how is anyone doing this?!?!

I think about this a lot! The deluxe prices currently are crazy, I could stay at a 5 star resort in the Caribbean for those prices. I'm just baffled to think that these prices will continue to increase. We're going to hit a point very quickly where I refuse to pay that price, it just won't be worth it.

We're going to hit a point very quickly where I refuse to pay that price, it just won't be worth it.
For sure. Essentially $500 a night. Disney prices increases far more than inflation (driven by supply and demand obviously). A 5% annual rise will make that about $600 in four years. And I suspect they go up at a higher rate than that. We'll likely see $1000 per night in less than ten years.

The next recession will likely leave a lot of vacancy and huge deals. Relatively speaking of course. Their goal of filling literally every room every night for the 50th depends a LOT on the economy holding up.

(BTW - if they do manage to fill every room even for any one night, what will they do with those permanent signs that say "rooms available"?)

(BTW - if they do manage to fill every room even for any one night, what will they do with those permanent signs that say "rooms available"?)

My in laws were stuck in Orlando once, and needed a single night. There were multiple conventions in town and even Motel 6's were going for $500/night. Anything else reasonable was $1000/night due to most places being sold out/overbooked. The nearest reasonable hotels were 3-4 hour drive away. They ended up sleeping on the floor at the airport. This was late last year.

I imagine the front desk people just say "tough s-word" to anyone complaining about the signs haha.

I imagine the front desk people just say "tough s-word" to anyone complaining about the signs haha.

Hmmm - if I remember correctly, it didn't say "rooms available tonight". So they could say "well, we DO have rooms available - next month!"

Last edited:
Here’s another perspective. We are a family of five. For us it is not that much more to stay at a deluxe, and many times LESS expensive, because at the value and moderates we would have to get suites. My kids don’t fit on the “child-sized beds” at the moderates, so the full extra twin at a deluxe works much better.

I think about this a lot! The deluxe prices currently are crazy, I could stay at a 5 star resort in the Caribbean for those prices. I'm just baffled to think that these prices will continue to increase. We're going to hit a point very quickly where I refuse to pay that price, it just won't be worth it.
We hit that point awhile back. I just can’t justify it for Disney. The price increases outpaced our income growth at some point, as well as just not seeing the value in it anymore.
We had a similar conversation at the dinner table with my ds14 last night. We were trying to decide if we wanted to go to Ohana and I was explaining to him that with exchange (we’re Canadian) and tip we would be looking at around $300 for one dinner. One medicocre, rushed, dinner. I can’t do it . We used to go all the time and makes me kinda sad but I feel like our priorities changed and pricing has gotten out of hand.
We stay happily offsite now in much larger and often much nicer accommodations. I do miss the days when we could stay onsite with the Ddp for a more reasonable cost, but to us, they are long gone.

We hit that point awhile back. I just can’t justify it for Disney. The price increases outpaced our income growth at some point, as well as just not seeing the value in it anymore.
We had a similar conversation at the dinner table with my ds14 last night. We were trying to decide if we wanted to go to Ohana and I was explaining to him that with exchange (we’re Canadian) and tip we would be looking at around $300 for one dinner. One medicocre, rushed, dinner. I can’t do it . We used to go all the time and makes me kinda sad but I feel like our priorities changed and pricing has gotten out of hand.
We stay happily offsite now in much larger and often much nicer accommodations. I do miss the days when we could stay onsite with the Ddp for a more reasonable cost, but to us, they are long gone.

I am cancelling Ohana for the same reason. My wife really wants to go but we cannot justify the expense when you add about 28% with the currency exchange. We will have two table service left out six originally planned for 11 days. Having said that we are still extremely fortunate to go that long.

We used to go all the time and makes me kinda sad but I feel like our priorities changed and pricing has gotten out of hand.
And for everyone that finds that to be true, WDW obviously finds another family to replace that. It IS very sad, but that's business. They are in fact doing the right thing overall for them as a going concern.

We roamed GF and really missed that place - but then looked around and realized we simply don't fit.

(EDIT - and we make nearly three times the national median family income - not saying that for any reason other to say even at that level we looked like "lower class" compared to most people there.)

When it opened and in the 90s it was expensive but still in reach. Now? It make sense I suppose that Disney customers who are wealthy want a place that is exclusive. I have no issue with that either. Whether we admit it or not, most of us make similar economic choices - for example, we don't buy homes in areas well below our income level (unless we think it's going to change over to be worth much more and we profit from it). (Please understand I said "most" - I'm sure there are many who do live below their means for other reasons than anticipated profits).

Still, I hope Disney keeps some deluzes like the Boardwalk and / or Y/B Clubs expensive but not so far out of reach as to be irrelevant to all but a few. Yet, they are getting to that level as well.

The huge Marriott resort offsite (very close) looks inviting - if it were anywhere but near Disney it would probably command much more than they charge (though I have no idea what it costs, I'm assuming it's cheaper than a Disney Deluxe.) Obviously you lose the convenience but I suspect for the price difference you could get get Uber/Lyft to/from the parks to offset some of that.

And for everyone that finds that to be true, WDW obviously finds another family to replace that. It IS very sad, but that's business. They are in fact doing the right thing overall for them as a going concern.

We roamed GF and really missed that place - but then looked around and realized we simply don't fit.

(EDIT - and we make nearly three times the national median family income - not saying that for any reason other to say even at that level we looked like "lower class" compared to most people there.)

When it opened and in the 90s it was expensive but still in reach. Now? It make sense I suppose that Disney customers who are wealthy want a place that is exclusive. I have no issue with that either. Whether we admit it or not, most of us make similar economic choices - for example, we don't buy homes in areas well below our income level (unless we think it's going to change over to be worth much more and we profit from it). (Please understand I said "most" - I'm sure there are many who do live below their means for other reasons than anticipated profits).

Still, I hope Disney keeps some deluzes like the Boardwalk and / or Y/B Clubs expensive but not so far out of reach as to be irrelevant to all but a few. Yet, they are getting to that level as well.

The huge Marriott resort offsite (very close) looks inviting - if it were anywhere but near Disney it would probably command much more than they charge (though I have no idea what it costs, I'm assuming it's cheaper than a Disney Deluxe.) Obviously you lose the convenience but I suspect for the price difference you could get get Uber/Lyft to/from the parks to offset some of that.
I agree with you. If they kept prices lower, the crowding would be worse than it already is. If they charge it and people are willing to pay it, then why not? It just doesn’t work for us anymore.

Just have to say something about the GF. Yes, the grounds & building are lovely. However, the rooms? Seriously - they are nothing special.

A couple of articles on this topic that I found interesting:

Theme park demographics changing: Higher incomes and more millennials

Yes, Disney prices out many families. Why? Because it can

I do find income inequality worrisome. I am a "PANK" aunt and I am not paying for the basic costs of the trip to begin with (doting grandparents do that,) so can afford to add upgrades like spa treatments or FastPass tours. But, I work with paraprofessionals who work so hard, and to hear them talk about money issues and what they can and can't afford and then think "Hmm, I'm about to drop a few thousand on Disney extras without a second thought and this person is saving up for a birthday hair treatment that costs $100, or worrying about their dry cleaners charging 5 cents more per item" pretty much makes me go "Um, yeah, probably I am a jerk. I think possibly I would be the villain in an 80s movie." I don't know - it's not that I dream of having less, but I do wish others could have more. I feel like we may be headed towards wealth redistribution within the next couple of decades and hopefully that will restructure pricing across the board so that experiences aren't so divided by income group.

I feel like we may be headed towards wealth redistribution within the next couple of decades and hopefully that will restructure pricing across the board so that experiences aren't so divided by income group.
Nice thought - I had a similar thought as a teenager in the socially conscious 60s. Age of Aquarius and all that. Back then you had to be "rich" to fly vs driving on vacation. Color TVs were VERY expensive and many people didn't have one.

So is it really worse today than back then relatively speaking? Who knows? Almost everyone has a very powerful computer in their pocket/purse capable of reaching anyone in the world instantly. Information / knowledge / convenience very inexpensively. Movies / entertainment on demand very reasonably priced. Etc.

We're focused on one corporation right now (never forget they ARE a corporation) who in effect has very little competition. Maybe NO competition. Universal doesn't even try to compete with small kids and families in the same marketing space as Disney. And with the Marvel acquisition along with Star Wars, Disney pretty much has the whole spectrum covered. Harry Potter vs Star Wars is the only competition - but with VERY cheap additions to park hoppers as the days go up, I suspect relatively few families do both WDW and Universal.

So THAT'S the issue - they have a near monopoly on a VERY desirable product and experience that they do VERY well. We're just back from a 6 night trip. It was - to be trite - MAGICAL. They (Disney) simply do it to perfection.

(ETA: Off the topic completely but I sadly realized on this vacation that Peanuts and Muppets may be essentially going away slowly. Especially Peanuts - but Disney certainly isn't pushing the Muppets much either.)

The new Coronado hotel is a step in the right direction I think - a "real" hotel (not a motel feel) , presumably priced lower than the deluxes. That will be the trend (I hope!) and will make the vacation more affordable.

(One more edit - the article "Disney prices out families because it can" was downright depressing. And yet we have a Six Flags near my town that Iused to have annual passes for the family. We'd go many times in the summer. My now grown kids won't consider that - despite the thrill rides - because the crowds there can be troublesome. Line jumpers are very common - fist fights not uncommon. I know it's lazy to draw any conclusions or generalizations on why - but it IS much cheaper than Disney, and yet given the choice of Disney every few years vs that several times a year, Disney wins.)

Last edited:
Nice thought - I had a similar thought as a teenager in the socially conscious 60s. Age of Aquarius and all that. Back then you had to be "rich" to fly vs driving on vacation. Color TVs were VERY expensive and many people didn't have one.

So is it really worse today than back then relatively speaking? Who knows? Almost everyone has a very powerful computer in their pocket/purse capable of reaching anyone in the world instantly. Information / knowledge / convenience very inexpensively. Movies / entertainment on demand very reasonably priced. Etc.

We're focused on one corporation right now (never forget they ARE a corporation) who in effect has very little competition. Maybe NO competition. Universal doesn't even try to compete with small kids and families in the same marketing space as Disney. And with the Marvel acquisition along with Star Wars, Disney pretty much has the whole spectrum covered. Harry Potter vs Star Wars is the only competition - but with VERY cheap additions to park hoppers as the days go up, I suspect relatively few families do both WDW and Universal.

So THAT'S the issue - they have a near monopoly on a VERY desirable product and experience that they do VERY well. We're just back from a 6 night trip. It was - to be trite - MAGICAL. They (Disney) simply do it to perfection.

(ETA: Off the topic completely but I sadly realized on this vacation that Peanuts and Muppets may be essentially going away slowly. Especially Peanuts - but Disney certainly isn't pushing the Muppets much either.)

The new Coronado hotel is a step in the right direction I think - a "real" hotel (not a motel feel) , presumably priced lower than the deluxes. That will be the trend (I hope!) and will make the vacation more affordable.

(One more edit - the article "Disney prices out families because it can" was downright depressing. And yet we have a Six Flags near my town that Iused to have annual passes for the family. We'd go many times in the summer. My now grown kids won't consider that - despite the thrill rides - because the crowds there can be troublesome. Line jumpers are very common - fist fights not uncommon. I know it's lazy to draw any conclusions or generalizations on why - but it IS much cheaper than Disney, and yet given the choice of Disney every few years vs that several times a year, Disney wins.)

All good points brought to the forefront. We have a carowinds (cedar parks) nearby our home, 10 min away and I won't even bother with a season pass (peanuts compared to Disney AP, $300 for a family of 4) bc it's so depressing to go to, dirty, staff are rude, rides are either older kids thrill rides or baby coasters. My kids go but we don't love it and after we leave we all say, we miss WDW.

Truly all walks of life can be found in a deluxe resort. I have friends who save 5 years at a time for a deluxe trip, tucking away bonuses and surprise money and barely pull it off. We pull it off by being DVC members. We paid the price for 10 years, as Disney will finance it for that long, but now just pay our annual fees and get our deluxe vacation every year. We deemed it worth the suffering for the payoff and have no regrets.

So here is the question - and maybe this takes the thread too far off topic (though I'd argue it's actually pertinent to the topic) -
Is Disney missing a market? The middle class? If so, how do they get them?

If they built several moderate resorts that are "near-deluxe" or "similar to the deluxe" (I wonder if the Coronado Hotel will be like that) then the parks get even MORE crowded. So maybe they need another park?

I've VERY often thought they could support another two parks - with one being a clone of the Magic Kingdom. Maybe they could have a deluxe MK and a moderate MK (less attractions?)

There is a HUGE market out there that Disney has priced out. Why not do something to get them back? Or are they conceding that market to Universal (rumored to be considering adding two more parks)

Last edited:
So here is the question - and maybe this takes the thread too far off topic (though I'd argue it's actually pertinent to the topic) -
Is Disney missing a market? The middle class? If so, how do they get them?

If they built several moderate resorts that are "near-deluxe" or "similar to the deluxe" (I wonder if the Coronado Hotel will be like that) then the parks get even MORE crowded. So maybe they need another park?

I've VERY often thought they could support another two parks - with one being a clone of the Magic Kingdom. Maybe they could have a deluxe MK and a moderate MK (less attractions?)

There is a HUGE market out there that Disney has priced out. Why not do something to get them back? Or are they conceding that market to Universal (rumored to be considering adding two more parks)

I heard not too long ago on one of the DIS vlogs about adding another park, wishful thinking nothing concrete, just brainstorming. Two MK is just wacky, I feel like it would have to be two different things completely if they're both in WDW. I don't think Disney is missing the middle class though. I think many of disney's guest are all over the board, from the sound of many of the people posting on this thread, a lot of people save for years and some only do values to make the trek or stay off site to save.

Read a few more articles today (having a tough time coming down from my Disney high post vacation; I'm sure most can relate!)

Looks like Coronado hotel will be a convention center and priced as a deluxe. I also read that Art of Animation is essentially priced as a moderate already. There certainly is speculation on a new park but only because it's been so long. My "moderate MK" is of course a weird thought.

When I say they are pricing out the middle class, there are several articles talking about that (one is linked somewhere above). Of course going to WDW at any interval is not a "right"; and certainly staying at a deluxe isn't either.

I just sit and think of the vast difference in ambiance between a deluxe and a moderate and recognize there is a level in between the two that seems to be missing. Food courts and no hallways to me is not "moderate" - just because there are hotels with even less than that doesn't make them "moderate". To me a moderate hotel would be one with a food court, one or two sit down restaurants, a lobby bar, room service, and a nice pool (with drink and food service). Oh yeah - and a hallway.

I'd price that LESS than the Swan/Dolphin - given the S/D has the convenience of location to half the parks and two deluxe hotels with their restaurants etc.

The fact is, the S/D is exactly what I'm thinking of. We just got back from 6 nights. We paid about $550 (with tax and resort fee) a night for an Alcove room - which is located at the end of the hall at the Dolphin - two rooms opposite each other with a door that shuts them out from the rest of the hall and creates a private area for storage. One room was a suite of sorts with two double beds and a sofa sleeper. The other a large room with a king and sofa sleeper. PErfect view of MK in the distance in one, and great view of Y/B, BW, waterway, Epcot fireworks and, ToT and fireworks in the other room.

So we have two large rooms averaging $275 a night all included. At a truly deluxe hotel (though not themed "Disney"). The Grotto pool is wonderful (certainly no Stormalong Bay, but the Boardwalk doesn't have that either. )

GF, Y/B, BW AKL, etc for a much smaller room I think costs near $400 a night after tax I believe. Sure - discounts can be had etc and we had a AAA discount) but S/D price for what you get is much better.

Disney has no interest in building anything like that, do they?

I think you're right about the monopoly situation - I agree that Six Flags and many other amusement parks have gone way downhill as they've focused more on the teen / college demographic with more and more thrill rides, so other than much smaller spots like Hershey Park, there is little competition. And I agree that many things (maybe most things, even) have actually come way down in price since I was a kid, so that is a more uplifting thought. It does just make me sad to think that Disney is increasingly becoming more out of reach to many young families. To me it is an iconic 'All American' type spot, so it would be like finding out that baseball games and camping trips are now reserved largely for the latte crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter