For those of you that stay deluxe - what do you do for a living?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read a few more articles today (having a tough time coming down from my Disney high post vacation; I'm sure most can relate!)

Looks like Coronado hotel will be a convention center and priced as a deluxe. I also read that Art of Animation is essentially priced as a moderate already. There certainly is speculation on a new park but only because it's been so long. My "moderate MK" is of course a weird thought.

When I say they are pricing out the middle class, there are several articles talking about that (one is linked somewhere above). Of course going to WDW at any interval is not a "right"; and certainly staying at a deluxe isn't either.

I just sit and think of the vast difference in ambiance between a deluxe and a moderate and recognize there is a level in between the two that seems to be missing. Food courts and no hallways to me is not "moderate" - just because there are hotels with even less than that doesn't make them "moderate". To me a moderate hotel would be one with a food court, one or two sit down restaurants, a lobby bar, room service, and a nice pool (with drink and food service). Oh yeah - and a hallway.

I'd price that LESS than the Swan/Dolphin - given the S/D has the convenience of location to half the parks and two deluxe hotels with their restaurants etc.

The fact is, the S/D is exactly what I'm thinking of. We just got back from 6 nights. We paid about $550 (with tax and resort fee) a night for an Alcove room - which is located at the end of the hall at the Dolphin - two rooms opposite each other with a door that shuts them out from the rest of the hall and creates a private area for storage. One room was a suite of sorts with two double beds and a sofa sleeper. The other a large room with a king and sofa sleeper. PErfect view of MK in the distance in one, and great view of Y/B, BW, waterway, Epcot fireworks and, ToT and fireworks in the other room.

So we have two large rooms averaging $275 a night all included. At a truly deluxe hotel (though not themed "Disney"). The Grotto pool is wonderful (certainly no Stormalong Bay, but the Boardwalk doesn't have that either. )

GF, Y/B, BW AKL, etc for a much smaller room I think costs near $400 a night after tax I believe. Sure - discounts can be had etc and we had a AAA discount) but S/D price for what you get is much better.

Disney has no interest in building anything like that, do they?

I know there’s a lot of new stuff for lodging on the horizon but I feel like it’s all geared for DVC. I will say we’ve stayed at all levels and feel like the mods are almost a rare breed of hotel at WDW right now with construction the pickings are slim and it’s tough to justify spending $250 on a mod room when some of the DVC studios at SS and OKW are $289.

The lack of theming is what keeps us away from s/d. The location is nice but not enough for us. I get what you’re saying agree but if Disney doesn’t have to give us more for less $$ why would they.

I wish the mods could step up some but as long as Disney has their line drawn in the sand on what separates the values the mods and the deluxes, they’re their only competition and don’t have to change.

Last edited:
it’s tough to justify spending $250 on a mod room when some of the DVC studios at SS and OKW are $289.
That's a aspect I know very little about - renting points from other DVC owners.

If we pull off what we are talking about in 7 years (paying for 4 rooms at a Disney Deluxe somewhere for our whole family - tied to a major family event) I'll want to look into that. Probably can make it doable for less than the $500 a night per room (in today's dollars) I'm expecting.

We started at S/D once the kids got much older and the Disney theming was unimportant. Before that is was GF and BC 5 times total. This time, with the 4 and 2 year old granddaughters I could see it might have been even better at a "real" Disney hotel. (The towel animals especially). Still, it was their first time and they didn't know what they were missing. We had dinner at Cape May, ice cream at Beaches and Cream, breakfast at GF and breakfast also at Chef Mickey's. And we had 9 character visits at the restaurants and parks all together (32 total characters; excluding repeats 24 unique ones). That was a lot of "Disney" for them!

That's a aspect I know very little about - renting points from other DVC owners.

If we pull off what we are talking about in 7 years (paying for 4 rooms at a Disney Deluxe somewhere for our whole family - tied to a major family event) I'll want to look into that. Probably can make it doable for less than the $500 a night per room (in today's dollars) I'm expecting.

We started at S/D once the kids got much older and the Disney theming was unimportant. Before that is was GF and BC 5 times total. This time, with the 4 and 2 year old granddaughters I could see it might have been even better at a "real" Disney hotel. (The towel animals especially). Still, it was their first time and they didn't know what they were missing. We had dinner at Cape May, ice cream at Beaches and Cream, breakfast at GF and breakfast also at Chef Mickey's. And we had 9 character visits at the restaurants and parks all together (32 total characters; excluding repeats 24 unique ones). That was a lot of "Disney" for them!

I think I’m more into the hotel theming then my children LOL!! I don’t know much about Disney vacation club but when we booked our rooms in November those rates for DVC rooms were straight from Disney not renting points. We chose Port Orleans Riverside because we prefer that moderate resort over those deluxes.

We roamed GF and really missed that place - but then looked around and realized we simply don't fit.

(EDIT - and we make nearly three times the national median family income - not saying that for any reason other to say even at that level we looked like "lower class" compared to most people there.)

Hmmm, we also make about 3 times what I found to be the median income for January 2018. Now, we are in our 60s, so only supporting the 2 of us. We will be staying RPC at GF for a few nights in September. It will be our 4th time there. I have never once felt “lower class” or like I didn’t belong. I think a lot of people have that perception of GF, but I don’t personally find it to be the case.

Hmmm, we also make about 3 times what I found to be the median income for January 2018. Now, we are in our 60s, so only supporting the 2 of us. We will be staying RPC at GF for a few nights in September. It will be our 4th time there. I have never once felt “lower class” or like I didn’t belong. I think a lot of people have that perception of GF, but I don’t personally find it to be the case.
As expensive as Disney is on the grand scheme of overall vacation costs staying at the GF isn't that out of reach for most upper middle class families. Of course not all families would choose to spend that amount of money on Disney. One of my friends who is an accountant and husband is a police detective just got back from Paris where it cost them about 6k for a week. They travel to Europe every Summer. When they take their kids to Disney they stay offsite. Everyone has different priorities. They are not wealthy they both have good paying middle class jobs. They could certainly afford a Disney deluxe if they chose to spend their vacation dollars that way. We are in the same income bracket and we choose to stay Deluxe at Disney. We also go overseas, but we don't go to Disney every year.
I've never felt out of place at any Disney deluxe even when we've stayed club level. I've never stayed at GF though I prefer the Epcot resorts or Poly.

We are a high earning household but haven't stayed deluxe in years. Ironically, the more we make the cheaper we get. When we didn't have as much money we would stay in deluxe. Now, we realize the kids have just as good of a time in mods at half the price. It is good for the kids to "suffer" a bit. lol. It's a rough world out there. No need for them to be ultra pampered all the time. Besides, the theming at the mods is quite elaborate. Great deals offsite too. wdw is awesome.

To the original question, my husband is an engineer (works in software), and I work in higher ed (staff, not faculty). We live in a relatively low cost of living area where salaries are good because they're competing with the greater DC metro area, which is an ok commute from our home. So, we do pretty well, especially because our income is supplemented by a rental property we bought when first married which is now fully paid off.

We live below our means and invest heavily in our retirement savings. Our kids are in public schools, and though we live in one of our city's more expensive neighborhoods, we paid well below the average home price as we have a 'fixer-upper' that will generate a very nice profit when we sell (husband fixed up our last house and is doing the same to this one). We pay cash for used cars and drive them for years and years. We don't have credit card debt. We don't have a ton of fancy electronics; just a few phones with a great data plan that my employer supplements, a good computer, and two TVs that are over five or six years old. Our kids go through clothes like you wouldn't believe, so I buy on eBay or at thrift stores. My husband and I are fortunate enough to work in casual settings, so we don't need suits/expensive clothes for work. Our furniture is mix of Ikea and thrift store items we've refurbished with a few nice inherited antiques. I am a serious bargain hunter, and shop at Aldi or Shoppers (with a weekly $10 off coupon) to keep food costs low. We also like to raise veggies in a small garden.

Our splurges are shoes and occasional travel. Seriously, good shoes that last for adults, and good shoes for the kids even though they outgrow them fairly quickly. We also travel a lot, mostly to visit family...drive to visit husband's family, fly to visit mine. Most of our other vacations are budget friendly; we go to the beach, camp at state parks, etc. We do, however, take a big family (husband, kids and I) vacation every few years (Prince Edward Island, Maine/Acadia National Park, Paris, etc.). While I don't do those on a shoestring budget, I look for bargains. We rented an apartment in Paris, for example, which was much less expensive than staying in a hotel, gave us much more room, and we saved on food costs as we were able to eat in for many meals (and we had a great time grocery shopping in Paris, so preparing light meals at the apartment was fun and not a chore).

I've done two WDW vacations with kids, and one with my husband (my oldest was a baby then, so he doesn't count that as a trip...his younger brother does lol). I go other years with my siblings, nieces/nephews, and sometimes parents and we'll share rooms. Even though I tend to stay deluxe at WDW, it's with an eye to savings. We go in offseason, take advantage of discounted rooms or pay for DVC points. We will do split stays sometimes. When I share rooms on trips without my kids, it cuts down on overall costs. I'm also very lucky to live in a area where I have access to three airports, so I can almost always find very affordable flights to Orlando; for example, last year, my kids and I flew Southwest to Orlando for around $500 total. When just I am meeting up with my extended family in WDW, I usually have enough credit card points to fly.

So, basically, my husband and I are pretty comfortable. But we are frugal in most areas and shop for bargains, even when staying deluxe at WDW!

Actually? We are retired. DVC, even at an elevated age, ended up being a GREAT deal :). Out of State? We can hit WDW twice per year, eight days per trip :). No driving - AIR from MI :).

I used to chat with the guy who bagged my groceries every week at Kroger. He went to WDW every year and stayed deluxe. He and 4 of his buddies would share one deluxe room. It becomes more reasonable when shared 5 ways I guess.

We don't have kids, which is a huge money saver!

We also both work in the tech industry, which is a great way to earn a high income without needing an advanced degree. We both only have our bachelor's. I wouldn't say we're 'rich', but on most surveys when they ask for income range we would select the bottom checkbox. ;)

A couple of articles on this topic that I found interesting:

Theme park demographics changing: Higher incomes and more millennials

Yes, Disney prices out many families. Why? Because it can

I do find income inequality worrisome. I am a "PANK" aunt and I am not paying for the basic costs of the trip to begin with (doting grandparents do that,) so can afford to add upgrades like spa treatments or FastPass tours. But, I work with paraprofessionals who work so hard, and to hear them talk about money issues and what they can and can't afford and then think "Hmm, I'm about to drop a few thousand on Disney extras without a second thought and this person is saving up for a birthday hair treatment that costs $100, or worrying about their dry cleaners charging 5 cents more per item" pretty much makes me go "Um, yeah, probably I am a jerk. I think possibly I would be the villain in an 80s movie." I don't know - it's not that I dream of having less, but I do wish others could have more. I feel like we may be headed towards wealth redistribution within the next couple of decades and hopefully that will restructure pricing across the board so that experiences aren't so divided by income group.

I'm 100% with you on ALL of this. I love my PANK life and being able to spoil my little nephews, but I am worried about the widening gap. I wish Disney had an "affordable magic" program or something where low-income families could provide proof of financial need and get reduced price passes once a year or something, even if they could only offer it on the off-season. Every kid deserves to go to Disney no matter what their parents do for a living.

I wish Disney had an "affordable magic" program or something where low-income families could provide proof of financial need and get reduced price passes once a year or something, even if they could only offer it on the off-season. Every kid deserves to go to Disney no matter what their parents do for a living.

Nice thought, but totally unrealistic. There are MILLIONS of kids who will never go to Disney, no way would Disney keep making $$$'s if there was any kind of program like that. (sure there are some charity things Disney does for a few kids) Plus the crowds are too high as it is, don't think anyone wants level 10+ crowds every day.

As I said earlier, we are the privileged who can afford to go there. You could always forgo your next trip and send someone who can't afford it.

I'm 100% with you on ALL of this. I love my PANK life and being able to spoil my little nephews, but I am worried about the widening gap. I wish Disney had an "affordable magic" program or something where low-income families could provide proof of financial need and get reduced price passes once a year or something, even if they could only offer it on the off-season. Every kid deserves to go to Disney no matter what their parents do for a living.
I don't think every kid deserves to go to WDW. Disneys a business that wants to make a profit not a welfare program.

I guess that's true, it would probably become really unmanageable if they did it for everyone. It would be nice if they even just selected 364 kids per year or something, though. No one would even notice one extra family per day, and think of the joy it would bring those kids. I know it's a business, but it's supposed to be about magic and wishes coming true, too.

As for your suggestion, I've done that! I just didn't forgo my own trips. I have an annual pass, so it wouldn't save me any money to do so, lol. :)

We are a high earning household but haven't stayed deluxe in years. Ironically, the more we make the cheaper we get. When we didn't have as much money we would stay in deluxe. Now, we realize the kids have just as good of a time in mods at half the price. It is good for the kids to "suffer" a bit. lol. It's a rough world out there. No need for them to be ultra pampered all the time. Besides, the theming at the mods is quite elaborate. Great deals offsite too. wdw is awesome.

Love your comment about suffering. Though I would hardly call staying in mods suffering. We stayed at a monorail resort for our first family visit. There was no turning back after that...our kids don't know what it means to suffer, lol.

Love your comment about suffering. Though I would hardly call staying in mods suffering. We stayed at a monorail resort for our first family visit. There was no turning back after that...our kids don't know what it means to suffer, lol.
It's hard to think of a trip to WDW as suffering. Our first trip was at the Poly and yeah I agree it's hard to downgrade after that. There are adult members of my family that would consider taking their kids to Disney World as suffering for them. Not everyone likes Disney. LOL.

It is funny, but about maybe 7 years ago something broke for me when I saw some parents negotiating with and then begging their approximately 8 year old son to take a picture (in the Epcot British kidcot area. lol). It was horrible how bratty he was, how catered too, and how pathetic and ridiculous the parents seemed. Then I just started to see it everywhere at different levels (I have found it very bad on DCL btw), kids acting unreasonably and parents acting like it was normal. In my own kids too. I just did a parenting 180 and started to say tough when they complained about something. I definitely am of the mindset now that I do not want things to be perfect on vacation, that kids face so little real adversity today that they crumble when they face minor adversity in the real world. I am not saying I wouldn't ever stay deluxe again but my entire perspectiive has changed on what is necessary to have fun.

This to me is very misguided and somewhat condescending to the many, many children who have wonderful childhoods and do not go to Disney. I have friends who are very well off and have no desire to take their children to Disney. Magic can be found anywhere, even in places with no cost, and no child should grow up feeling hard done by for not going to Disney. There is an extent to which Disney provides a very commodified version of happiness that unnecessarily turns children into vapid consumers if you are not careful. Most of the stories told by Disney are based on folk tales and myths and are available at your local library.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter