For those of you that stay deluxe - what do you do for a living?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if counting the Dolphin as deluxe, if so then this will be first deluxe stay next month (stayed some nice hotels other places, but not Disney). Was going to book it at the hotel discount but then got the awesome hotwire deal and paying less than a value (with resort fees).

As for me, said before have decent job but in a high cost area.. pay off credit cards every month, put money in to retirement and only have mortgage that luckily got before the housing boom.
But value is normally good enough for me and my son.. I just need clean and comfortable... Too fancy makes me a bit uncomfortable. I'm not super cheap, but more of bang for the buck type.. So I usually don't see the justification of deluxe at Disney.. since the room is just for sleeping and showering. If I wanted a relaxing resort vacation I would go somewhere other than Disney.
That said I have always wanted to do AKL, but could never push the button on it. Wish would have gone years ago when deluxe prices were lower.

Last edited:
Save, save, save. And make your priorities. We stayed at moderate last time on a previous trip and flew. On our most recent trip, we spent our money on staying deluxe and drove 15 hours, and we didn't eat TS or even in the parks every day. We packed sandwiches. We are not a wealthy family and in the end, our trip at a deluxe did not cost us any more than our previous trip to a moderate where we flew, ate more TS meals, and did not have a car.

Everyone has basically said how to save for it. For us it is a bit less saving and more me just working more. We certainly could do a better job at saving but I figure I only have so many years with the kids while they actually want to spend time with us.

We rent a cheaper DVC at about $200 a night. I find that it is not staying Deluxe that costs a lot. A discounted moderate is about the same. It is the food, tickets and flight all together that kills us. We try and go when flights are almost as cheap as driving. Cheaper now that you have to pay for parking. The only thing we can really change is the food but there is only so much you can do without a full kitchen and still eat well. Off site is certainly tempting in that respect.

I doubt I'm saying anything different than others,but to us it's a matter of priority for the vacation.

I guess there is some doubt as to whether the Swan/Dolphin counts as deluxe, but that's where we've stayed the last several times. Before that, GF and BC twice each.

I'm not sure I'd pop for either of those anymore after staying at the Swan/Dolphin. After reasonably easy to get discounts, S/D rooms are around $300 a night. Sure, that's a lot - and the resort fee and parking push that up.

However, to (sort of) answer the actual question, we do have a family income over 100K. While that's obviously higher than the median, for a working couple it's not so unusual anymore.

But without that, we still might try to save up for it.

We always "overspent" on our family vacations. And without a doubt, several of our friends think we were foolish to do that. But now that I'm near retirement age, I feel it was a wise decision. The memories are priceless - and I can't imagine what I'd be doing with that money now that could be better than that.

So I guess part of what I'm saying - and others too - is that it's not like many people staying at deluxe resorts are unusually wealthy - it's just their decision to spend their still limited income in that manner.

Last edited:
but I figure I only have so many years with the kids while they actually want to spend time with us.

You know, we always felt the same. We were happily surprised to learn those years never stopped. My kids are now all in the 30s. Four grandchildren so far.

The fun times we always made time for with them are a big part of the reason. Not to say we had to spend spend spend for that to happen. And honestly my wife was VERY instrumental in making our home very welcoming to them and their friends.

So whether it's deluxe or value or offsite - or no Disney at all - it's the family time that really matters.

I’m in nutrition and husband a software engineer but we live in a high cost state and don’t make a ton but we afford it because we only go every 1 1/2 instead of every year so we have that extra 6 months to save, I don’t care about expensive things as much as expensive experiences. I don’t look at price for dinner, movies, vacation but I sure as heck won’t buy a pair of jeans over $40! So it depends on a number of factors. If I cared about expensive clothes and jewelry I’m sure staying at a deluxe would be a bit more expensive for us.
San Francisco?

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, i wasn't really sure where to put it. I'm also sorry if this is an uncouth thing to discuss, but I thought it would be interesting!

I've always dreamed of taking future kids (getting married next spring) to Disney and staying at GF every time (it's my favorite!). However, I know it's incredibly expensive and can't fathom how people afford to take their kids and stay deluxe all the time! So I'm curious, if you love to stay deluxe with the kiddos, what do you do for a living? Or do you have any other secrets to how you afford to stay deluxe?

Do you really care what my wife and I do for a living or do you want to know how much money we make?

My husband and I are considered upper middle class based on the amount of money we make each year. We've stayed Deluxe twice but most of the time we stay value because we'd rather go more often.

Do you really care what my wife and I do for a living or do you want to know how much money we make?

In fairness to the OP, I do think her question was somewhat rhetorical. I the main thing I got from it is "wow - deluxe resorts are REAL expensive. So how do people who do it so often manage it?"

The key statement was the LAST one - "or do you have any other secrets..."

In other words, is the only way to do it by having a very big income?

Apologies if I'm wrong, but I don't think the OP was trying to get real personal.

I recently posted something similar regarding people who go very often. Just wondering - and not surprisingly I got a wide variety of responses. There was no single "trick" - some people were apparently very well off, some people simply prioritized Disney vs other living expenses, some were very consistent in use of credit card points etc etc.

It can be surprising when you read these boards - in that it starts to (perhaps) feel like you're missing something many people seem to know about.

Not realizing that the frequent visitors/posters on this board represent a wide cross section of people - with love of WDW as the commonality.

In fairness to the OP, I do think her question was somewhat rhetorical. I the main thing I got from it is "wow - deluxe resorts are REAL expensive. So how do people who do it so often manage it?"

Apologies if I'm wrong, but I don't think the OP was trying to get real personal.

I recently posted something similar regarding people who go very often. Just wondering - and not surprisingly I got a wide variety of responses. There was no single "trick" - some people were apparently very well off, some people simply prioritized Disney vs other living expenses, some were very consistent in use of credit card points etc etc.

It can be surprising when you read these boards - in that it starts to (perhaps) feel like you're missing something many people seem to know about.

Not realizing that the frequent visitors/posters on this board represent a wide cross section of people - with love of WDW as the commonality.
I just hate these questions. I am disabled. My parents are doctors. I am so over these questions

Yes this is exactly it! We've started planning our honeymoon and it was just overwhelming to see how expensive it would be for just the two of us. I was just curious about what we can do to be able to give our future kids the experience!

Yes this is exactly it! We've started planning our honeymoon and it was just overwhelming to see how expensive it would be for just the two of us. I was just curious about what we can do to be able to give our future kids the experience!
DVC
And congrats on the wedding!!

For privacy purposes, I prefer not to discuss the specifics of my career and wage with anyone. Yet, after reading a few of the responses above, I have been trying to figure out why I, personally, am not at all offended by this question.

I think it’s because my vacations form a very positive piece of my identity.

Sadly I’m not a successful sports person, but let’s say for argument sake I was. If someone asked about my training schedule and how I managed to fit in all those extra hours of practice, I wouldn’t hesitate to answer as I would view that hard work as an integral part of my success. I know many will view vacations quite differently, but essentially they are my reward for lots of hard work.

In my 3D world, I try to practice humility by not talking too much about my travels unless someone asks. The great thing about forums like the DIS is that a shared interest in travel means you can ask questions like the OPs.
Evidenced by the amount of responses, there will always be some of us who are not only happy to answer, but also happy that someone is taking an interest.

Last edited:
For privacy purposes, I prefer not to discuss the specifics of my career and wage with anyone. Yet, after reading a few of the responses above, I have been trying to figure out why I, personally, am not at all offended by this question.

I think it’s because my vacations form a very positive piece of my identity.

Sadly I’m not a successful sports person, but let’s say for argument sake I was. If someone asked about my training schedule and how I managed to fit in all those extra hours of practice, I wouldn’t hesitate to answer as I would view that hard work as an integral part of my success. I know many will view vacations quite differently, but essentially they are my reward for lots of hard work.

In my 3D world, I try to practice humility by not talking too much about my travels unless someone asks. The great thing about forums like the DIS is that a shared interest in travel means you can ask questions like the OPs.
Evidenced by the amount of responses, there will always be some of us who are not only happy to answer, but also happy that someone is taking an interest.
Admittedly, I was at first taken aback by the OP's question because I expected this thread to be all flames. Was surprised it didn't go that way. I don't mind answering this type of question but I fully anticipated everyone else would bristle at it. Glad for OP that she got open honest discussion instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter