Free Dining 9/20-9/26

LegoMom3

WDW vet now exploring "Walt's Park!"
Ok, meant to do this long ago but lost Internet (AGAIN.....) so I'm waaaay behind on stuff!!!!

So, here's where we ate, followed by my reviews, for anyone who might be remotely interested....

1) Boatwrights (POR)
2) Crystal Palace (MK)
3) Biergarten (EP)
4) Trail's End (Fort Wilderness)
5) Liberty Tree Tavern (MK)
6) Chef Mickey's (CR)

So, I will admit that Free Dining put a whole new twist on this Disney vacation. We've never eaten so much or so well on a WDW trip before! Got a chance to sample some places we probably otherwise couldn't afford.

Boatwright's :thumbsup2 Had dinner here on our arrival night; it made sense since we were staying at Riverside! It also turned out to be probably the best meal we had all week, and not because other places were awful but because the food was truly amazing! I've seen bad reviews on this place here on the DIS but I won't knock it for a second. I had crabcake for the appetizer and the prime rib for dinner, and something called "Boatwright's potatoes" which were heavenly....YUM! My FIL had the potroast, which he was kind enough to share and it melted in your mouth.... I think we all had some sort of decadent chocolate cake for dessert, which we ended up comparing all other desserts to from there on out.

Crystal Palace Breakfast here on our first full day. Another thumbs-up! I love a buffet anyway, where you can sample all sorts of goodies. I even had some very thinly sliced smoked salmon! The picky kids had character waffles which they devoured, so they must have been good. Other than that I don't remember too much about which specific foods we all ate, as I was far too distracted by the characters coming around and making sure I got pictures. No complaints.

Biergarten After almost being late and my DH running what has to be a solid mile from the Epcot entrance to the Germany pavillion, we managed to hang on to our ADR here and settle down for a fun dinner. Another buffet, which was pretty good but I admit I go here more for the atmosphere and the fun entertainment (DH's side of the family is German so this is close to home for us). I wish there had been a bit more for the kids, but they ARE picky so I can't blame the restaurant! I would give it a "thumbs-sideways."

Trail's End Buffet :thumbsup2 Great place for some good old fashioned home cookin'! Probably much the same fare as they serve next door at the Hoop-de-Doo, but served buffet-style and without the antics. There was plenty of food and it was delicious. The BBQ ribs were awesome, as was the fried chicken. Loved the mashed potatoes and gravy, also the bisquits and cornbread. Mmmm....I'm drooling just thinking about this meal! A little lacking in the dessert category - I wished there was more to choose from (I think there were a couple types of pudding, and one or two types of cake) but what we had was very good.

Liberty Tree Tavern This was a last-minute ADR due to a change of touring plans, but was it ever good! Had a late lunch here. It was a HOT day so we were thrilled just to be inside and sitting down for a while. The portions here are HUGE! I had roast turkey with mashed potatoes and stuffing, gravy and green beans. Turkey was a tad on the dry side but overall a good meal. DH had potroast which was the single most enormous meal I saw all week! I didn't try it but he claims it was excellent. We were both too stuffed for dessert but tried it anyway - mine was an apple tart type thing with carmelized crust, and DH got something with pecans and caramel in it. For someone who doesn't normally go for caramel, he loved this. Kids had the mac-n-cheese (Stouffers) but were so hot and tired that no one ate much. Oh, and their meals came with a fresh fruit appetizer which was very fresh and delicious. (I was actually very impressed with the fresh fruit everywhere all week).

Chef Mickey's :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 THE best breakfast we ate! Also the best coffee that DH and I had all week (it was a french roast; really good). The breakfast pizza was great, the donuts and danish were extremely fresh, the fruit was cold and fresh, and the eggs were hot and like eggs should be! (not chewy or rubbery or cold....blech!). Great character interaction and a fun show every so-many minutes.

For our non-TS meals we ate a lot at the POR food court. We loved the burgers (made fresh to order) and pizza!! Also they had these huge cookies we'd get for dessert that were awesome! Did breakfast here on our departure day and wished we'd done it sooner. Everything was fresh, made to order, and delicious.

Overall we LOVED Free Dining and would do it again!

Mr. D's K-Man said:
OK ... I'm clueless ... :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

How did you get free dining?

Oh, more than happy to enlighten you! :thumbsup2

First of all, it's all over - at least for now. Disney introduced this little gem in '05, and announced this past spring that they would do it again this year. Basically it's offered from mid-August through September: peak hurricane season and otherwise a pretty slow time for the World. You can buy the dining package any time, but Free Dining is the dining package, included for free in your stay. You do pay "rack rate" for your room (no discount applies) but I still think you come out ahead.

For each day of your stay, every person in your party gets one Table Service meal (requiring a reservation), one counter-service meal, and one snack credit (now includes a wide array of options, basically anything under $4.00 with just a few exceptions).

Free Dining rocks!!!!!!!!!

LegoMom3 said:
Oh, more than happy to enlighten you! :thumbsup2

First of all, it's all over - at least for now. Disney introduced this little gem in '05, and announced this past spring that they would do it again this year. Basically it's offered from mid-August through September: peak hurricane season and otherwise a pretty slow time for the World. You can buy the dining package any time, but Free Dining is the dining package, included for free in your stay. You do pay "rack rate" for your room (no discount applies) but I still think you come out ahead.

For each day of your stay, every person in your party gets one Table Service meal (requiring a reservation), one counter-service meal, and one snack credit (now includes a wide array of options, basically anything under $4.00 with just a few exceptions).

Free Dining rocks!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

WOW ... what a great deal. Glad you were able to take advantage of it.

Have any review? Favorite Experience?

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter