Free Dining Fest 9/25-10/2--Pics and 18% gratuity included Part 3

lonegungirl

Mouseketeer
9/30: Breakfast at Everything POP!
DSC04460.jpg

I had the breakfast pizza which was ok but seemed like it was made up of the crumbs of the breakfast platter. DM had the breakfast platter again, and said she thought it was better than the pizza looked.

Lunch at Flame Tree BBQ
DSC04389.jpg

The ribs were tender, if a little dry. The corn was as tasteless as fast-food corn on the cob usually is, but the key lime pie was really good. Plus DM had her toes nibbled on by the ducks, so that was good for entertainment.

Dinner at Citricos
DSC04450.jpg

We didn't have an ADR because there were none available when I called. Nonetheless, we were seated instantly when we walked up, and all but one of the tables around us were empty when we started.

DSC04451.jpg

They split the appetizer, which makes it look a little small. I think there were 2 shrimp, but they were quality shrimp.

DSC04452.jpg

The salmon was also good, but overall the portions here were much smaller than any of the other TS. DM was chronically full by this time however, so it worked out.

DSC04453.jpg

Tropical fruit creme brulee. This was wonderful as well, and ran the pistachio at Jiko's a close second--I think the crust to custard ratio was a little more favorable at Jiko's.

Summary: In the GF restaurant death match, I would give it to Narcoosees. Citrico's was good but the view and the selection on the menu was better at Narcoosees.

10/2: Lunch at Earl of Sandwich
EarlofSandwitchLunch.jpg

The quality is down because I left my camera in the car and was forced to rely on my phone camera. We split the Full Montagu which had nice toasty bread. The restrictions on the plan were annoying because the sign listing them was covered by all the people waiting in line and I didn't notice it until I got up to the register. Dessert can only be a cookie or brownie, and snacks are only items up to about $2.50.

Last night dinner at Le Cellier
DSC04465.jpg

Chocolate berry smoothie. We each have our own dinner as a last hurrah.

DSC04466.jpg

I have the mussels appetizer, which is very good. The broth is a little salty but not offensively so.

DSC04467.jpg

DM had the seasonal appetizer which was something like smoked salmon with marscarpone and crab. She liked the salmon, but felt the cheese masked the taste of the crab.

DSC04469.jpg

She had the mushroom filet and pronounced it the best steak she had the whole week. She loved the crispy parsnips on top but wished there were more mushrooms in the risotto.

DSC04468.jpg

I had the 14oz strip steak (the Scopa special.) Good gosh, this was huge. It was ok, but I've had better steaks before that were more flavorful. The potatoes were also roasted to that hard and leathery consistency they sometimes get, so I passed on them. It wasn't bad, but next time I would get the filet.

DSC04470.jpg

We both got the brulee sampler for dessert. I thought the maple was better than the vanilla, but the side with the maple was also about half as full as the vanilla. It was good, but not really in the same class as the pistachio or tropical fruit.

Summary: While I would pay OOP for the Earl of Sandwich, I would not use the dining plan with it again, as it seems too restrictive. Next time (and there will be a next time) at Le Cellier, I would go for the filet--the strip steak appeal seems to lie mostly in its volume.

The next day we picked up lunches at the Japanese and Morocco pavilions to take to the airport and they were very good, but in the hysteria of trying to get to the airport, I didn't take a photo. As a fun fact, Morocco will give you a take-out box if you request it.

There it is in all its gluttonous glory. I shall think of it wistfully, as I eat salad for the next month, trying to get the extra poundage off I took home as a souvenir...

Thanks for taking the time to post all of your reviews and pictures, they were great. Only problem is now I want steak & creme brulee at 7:30 in the morning. :teeth:

Thanks for another great review. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. They really add to the reviews. :)

Thanks for the awesome pics. (even though I am now hungry) I like that you added in your summary if you would go back, if you would pay oop, etc. That let's me know if it is really worth the $$$$.

Thanks for all your reviews and pictures. However, are you sure you had those ribs at Tusker House ... looks more like Flame Tree BBQ to me.

dixiedizfan said:
Thanks for all your reviews and pictures. However, are you sure you had those ribs at Tusker House ... looks more like Flame Tree BBQ to me.

You are, of course, right. Tusker House was one of the few places we didn't get to this trip, although if we had, the picture would have shown salmon instead. :)

Thanks.

Thanks a lot for the great review and the pictures. It was really interesting to see that you shared so many meals. We are planning to this for probably the same reason you had: Being able to eat at the signature dining restaurants.

Did you encounter any problems when you asked to share the meals? I saw from some pictures that sometimes the shared meal came put on two plates? Was this regularly the case?

May I also ask, how you would rank California Grill, Jiko and Narcossee's when compared to each other??

Flossbolna said:
Thanks a lot for the great review and the pictures. It was really interesting to see that you shared so many meals. We are planning to this for probably the same reason you had: Being able to eat at the signature dining restaurants.

Did you encounter any problems when you asked to share the meals? I saw from some pictures that sometimes the shared meal came put on two plates? Was this regularly the case?

May I also ask, how you would rank California Grill, Jiko and Narcossee's when compared to each other??

We lurves us the signature dining. Actually, we mostly lurves us the dining, period.

No one gave us any problems sharing this time. Last time the server at CA Grill said she didn't think it was allowed, but then asked someone and they said it was fine. Most of the time they split the entree but left the appetizer and dessert as one, however I remember at least one time they left it all together (I think it was Brown Derby.) The nicer places usually included coffee as well, after dinner, so I could have a smoothie in the beginning, and DM could have coffee afterwards, and it was all included.

Out of the signature dining we tried this time, I would put Jiko's last of the three--not because the food was bad, but because it just didn't seem good enough to make the out-of-the-way trip out to AKL to eat there. If I could only go to one and I was not on the dining plan, I'd probably go to CA Grill just for the sushi, lava cake, and fireworks. On the dining plan, I'd give the nod to Narcoossee's just because the lobster was great and I'd never pay for it off the plan. I think dollar-wise, it was the most expensive meal of the lot, being around $100.

lonegungirl said:
We lurves us the signature dining. Actually, we mostly lurves us the dining, period.

No one gave us any problems sharing this time. Last time the server at CA Grill said she didn't think it was allowed, but then asked someone and they said it was fine. Most of the time they split the entree but left the appetizer and dessert as one, however I remember at least one time they left it all together (I think it was Brown Derby.) The nicer places usually included coffee as well, after dinner, so I could have a smoothie in the beginning, and DM could have coffee afterwards, and it was all included.

Out of the signature dining we tried this time, I would put Jiko's last of the three--not because the food was bad, but because it just didn't seem good enough to make the out-of-the-way trip out to AKL to eat there. If I could only go to one and I was not on the dining plan, I'd probably go to CA Grill just for the sushi, lava cake, and fireworks. On the dining plan, I'd give the nod to Narcoossee's just because the lobster was great and I'd never pay for it off the plan. I think dollar-wise, it was the most expensive meal of the lot, being around $100.

Thanks for your opinion. We will actually be staying at AKL, so getting to Jiko should just be navigating through a few hallways and down some stairs... And I guess if we can get a good time for our ADR we will go to California Grill for the classic WDW experience as this is our second visit to the world and we have not been to California Grill.

Thanks for the great pics! :thumbsup2 I just ate breakfast, but now I want to eat again! Would you do the dining plan again? It sounds like there were a lot of exclusion & restrictions?

shovan said:
Thanks for the great pics! :thumbsup2 I just ate breakfast, but now I want to eat again! Would you do the dining plan again? It sounds like there were a lot of exclusion & restrictions?

Actually, I thought there were fewer exclusions this year than there was last year when we also went for free dining. Last year, no one would give smoothies, and snacks were very limited, as opposed to this year, when, it seemed, anything went.

One issue I have with the dining plan is the dependence on CS meals, which I normally wouldn't eat very often--I'd rather just have an appetizer at a TS for lunch than most of the CS in MK or MGM. Another is the fact that on the dining plan, I feel obliged to eat at the TS that are the most expensive, so as to maximize it's worth, and tend not to visit the lesser-expensive but equally charming places like SF Dine-In and 50's Prime Time that I would otherwise attend. In short then, I would probably always do it if it was free, but I don't think I'd pay for it--it's a lot of food for just me, if I go solo, and I think I could generally manage to pay less than $80/day for 2 people if I drag DM with me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter