"Free Dining" Tipping question

ctc917

DIS Veteran
Ok so I'm having a problem trying to figure out the tipping since this will be the first time I have used the Dining Program since they are having us pay for the tip. So here are my questions: Can you decide how much to tip depending on the service? Or are you stuck with the 18%? How do you pay for the tip? do you get a bill? and can you change the amount depending on the service? Also if you pay by cash do you get a receipt? So you can prove that you paid the tip?

And my last question is this has anyone paid their tip by cash and then been charged again because the server never received the tip?

Thanks
ctc917

You will automatically be charged 18% if you are a party of 6 or more. The only way to change this amount is to talk to a manager. If your party is less than 6 people, you determine the amount you tip. You may tip in cash, charge the tip or use a room key card connected to a credit card.

As a non-user of the dining plan (I used it twice before 2008 but not since) I haven't personally seen this, but I do understand that you get a receipt that shows the menu cost of your meal and even has suggested tip amounts on it.

If I were to tip in cash I would wait until the server picked it up before I left.

I was wondering exactly how I was going to tip this year too. In the prior years on free dining we have had mixed service...some good, some not so good but since the tip was included it really didn't matter too much to us. Since I am paying the tips this year I will definately tip according to service and I think (hope) servers will be working hard to earn their tips. I normally tip 15% for average service and 20% + for extraordinary service. I think I will charge all my tips to my room key to avoid carrying cash.

Sure. I used my rewards card to pay for CS and TS meals for my toddler last year (he's under 3 so doesn't get the DDP credits).

Is there any way to pay in cash for tips if you are a party of 6?

I factor 18% for an ordering place and 12-15% for a buffet. 18% if it's family style. I then change my tip based on service, but walking in the door, I start with 18% and go up to 22% or down to 1% (for giving me a bad look for eating alone and telling me I should go eat at the CS because I didn't eat every bite on my plate)

You can pay cash for the 18% for parties of 6 or more. Disney will always except cash. (Remember, companies pay a fee to credit card companies for their service, so Disney actually makes more money with cash.)

Me - I pay ~15% for buffet, rounded to the nearest dollar. Full service will normally be 15% up to 20 % depending on service quality, unless service is extremely bad, where i will drop down to less than that. (Example, we recently ate out a Bonefish Grille, the waitress was very friendly but got both our drink order wrong and also gave us the wrong sides with our meals. I gave 15 % in this case, partly because I wasn't wholly sure it was our waitresses fault, but good not bring myself to tip higher with the mistakes. So, you have to be pretty bad to get < 15 % from me.)

SkierPete

You can pay cash for the 18% for parties of 6 or more. Disney will always except cash. (Remember, companies pay a fee to credit card companies for their service, so Disney actually makes more money with cash.)

Me - I pay ~15% for buffet, rounded to the nearest dollar. Full service will normally be 15% up to 20 % depending on service quality, unless service is extremely bad, where i will drop down to less than that. (Example, we recently ate out a Bonefish Grille, the waitress was very friendly but got both our drink order wrong and also gave us the wrong sides with our meals. I gave 15 % in this case, partly because I wasn't wholly sure it was our waitresses fault, but good not bring myself to tip higher with the mistakes. So, you have to be pretty bad to get < 15 % from me.)

SkierPete

I believe the servers prefer cash because they might have to claim all of it, dont know if this is really true or not, but we always tip cash thinking that is best in their pockest.

ok if you get an app or an alcholic drink,you will get a bill for 18% added if your on the ddp(1 person up).therefore they will be expecting an 18% tip for the ddp food as well
Paulh

I believe the servers prefer cash because they might have to claim all of it, dont know if this is really true or not, but we always tip cash thinking that is best in their pockest.
There are other threads addressing this, but servers ALWAYS have to report ALL their earnings, and pay income tax on all their earnings.

Paying cash does give them the money sooner, but it doesn't hide it from the IRS.

There are other threads addressing this, but servers ALWAYS have to report ALL their earnings, and pay income tax on all their earnings.

Paying cash does give them the money sooner, but it doesn't hide it from the IRS.

Just because they SHOULD doesnt mean they SHALL ;)

From talking with one server I found out that some places will not give a server their tip that day if it is on a CC, they get the tips that were given by use of a cc included with their pay checks. Not sure if that is how WDW does it too or not but I know that other places do and so servers like cash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter