Fried cheese curds

They're delicious, but usually too expensive IMO. We used to go to a place called Max & Erma's. There are still a few around in the midwest. They had an appetizer called fried cheese skewers. Not curds, but they too were fantastic.

My DH is from Wisconsin. A good 'curd' should squeak when you bite into it (uncooked per-say) But fried curds are a food group as is cheese in Wisconsin. BTW you get the best ones in the small bars in Wisconsin. Forget the big chain restaurants.. those aren't homemade.
We checked into our hotel around 2am and they gave us cheese to take with us to our room! 😂

OK - got some last night from a local A&W. Well - one of those combo A&W/KFC locations and they packaged them in a KFC carton for some reason. I got the large so I could much on half of them and save the rest. Not sure exactly the best way to reheat them, but I'm thinking maybe my air fryer.

Didn't get the Sriracha cheese curds though.

I'm still stuck on cheese curds not being universally known, loved, and consumed on a frequent basis. They are far more common than mozz sticks around here 🤣

The "bad ones" are thick breading like mozz sticks. The "good ones" are light, crispy, squeak, and are nice and melty inside.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, my only local options are A&W or Yard House.

When I was in Anaheim I got some poutine at this place that does "comfort food" - The Kroft at the Anaheim Packing House. Obviously they need cheese curds for that, but they also have two types of fried cheese curds on their menu. Not sure if chopped parsley is typical, but that's what they have here. This photo might be of their version with Hot Cheeto dust.

https://www.thekroft.com/menu

Kroft-184.jpg

Must be a regional thing. I haven’t seen them anywhere around here. (And we don’t have any of the restaurants mentioned.) Tried them years ago while visiting Wisconsin, and they were very good indeed.

Best Cheese Curds is a huge fight around me. Raw curds you want as fresh as you can get, if they don't squeak they aren't fresh enough. Fried curds comes down to batter and oil. One of my wife's HS classmates is now a master cheese maker, we've taken the kids to watch them produce and package curds, warm and squeaky.

Of course Culver's has good curds. They're from Wisconsin, one of the brothers went to college in my town, so we were the first with have two Culver's in the same city.

So I went to Yard House and tried the cheese curds. Pretty good. The frying is somewhat light so there’s no crunch with the batter like with mozzarella sticks. They did increase their prices though, and their menu is physically different now. Just a plastic cover. But I’m not complaining for happy hour prices.

The two dipping sauces are a sweet and sour sauce (more like McDonalds and not Asian style) and I can’t place what the white one is other than there clearly was some horseradish in there. Looked it up and they call it aioli, but it was to creamy. I thought that aioli should have more of a mayo consistency.

And yeah I finished it by myself. I don’t think it was terribly healthy though.

Love them! Love Culver's but don't have one of those around here, so can't get them often. The ones at BDubs are pretty darn good. Plan on getting some from there for the game Sunday actually.

Can't go wrong with fried cheese lol

So I went to Yard House and tried the cheese curds. Pretty good. The frying is somewhat light so there’s no crunch with the batter like with mozzarella sticks. They did increase their prices though, and their menu is physically different now. Just a plastic cover. But I’m not complaining for happy hour prices.

The two dipping sauces are a sweet and sour sauce (more like McDonalds and not Asian style) and I can’t place what the white one is other than there clearly was some horseradish in there. Looked it up and they call it aioli, but it was to creamy. I thought that aioli should have more of a mayo consistency.

And yeah I finished it by myself. I don’t think it was terribly healthy though.
Aioli IS mayonnaise, it's just the French word for it. It can have a thinner consistency if it's homemade. People do put other stuff in it--garlic aioli is popular, or the horseradish you mentioned. Toss in a few herbs, and you're closing in on ranch dressing or dip, which can have a base of sour cream, buttermilk, mayo, etc. (depending on the flavor/consistency you're looking for--dips tend to be thicker than dressings).

They are quite yummy!!
I rarely eat them, due to them adding to my waistline.
My DD19 could happily be buried in them and eat her way out - she LOVES them - it’s one of her most absolute favorites.

Ditto to what everyone say, delicious! We buy them at Costco (Farmland makes them) and air fry them for lunch sometimes. Granted better deep fried, but trying to make them a tad healthier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter