FW vs ASMovies

LMC

<font color=green>aka 3senuf<br><font color=dark
Little info please. Have DS-8, DD-5, DS-2 and my DS-8 is set on staying at ASMO (Buzz lightyear) 1st week of November. Since this is the last time we will be able to stay in 1 room at ASMO (youngest in crib) I don't have a problem indulging him. HOWEVER, after reading the postings on this site, I think FW would be wonderful!!! We would either stay in a cabin or camper (If we are lucky enough to have one by then) NO TENTS FOR US!!

So has anyone stayed at both locations w/ similar child ages? If so I would love any input. ALSO, how is the rain during the first and second weeks of November? And, also what is JERSEY WEEK? Think I want to miss that!

Thanks alot!

I think your kids would love FW! The campfire program is great - they would love to join the singalong around the big fire with Chip & Dale! It's much better than a statue of Buzz Lightyear! :)

There are also pony rides, a petting farm, bike rentals, and the Trail's End restaurant is very good!

I think FW would be a much better choice for kids!

We've stayed at the All Stars too, and while they're nice, they just don't compare to FW, IMHO.

If you don't have your own camper you are talking a difference of about $150 a day. If you can afford this then you'll love it. The cabins are great. They have full kitchens and the maid will even put your dishes into the dishwasher while you are at the parks.

We've stayed at both, and I'd recommend FW if you have a camper. There's just so much for kids to do there, and the place is so spread out and lush... they'll have a great time! There really is no place like it. We had a good time as ASMovies, but if I had to choose between the 2 I'd choose FW :)

Our last trip our kids were 3, 6, and almost 1 and we stayed at ASmusic. The trip before they were 18 mo, 3 1/2 yrs and we stayed in a cabin. The ASM trip, we only had a few days and were so busy we just came back and colapsed in bed. So it was as much as we needed. The time before was a bit longer trip and DH and I loved it. The best part is getting everyone fed breakfast before heading out each day. And, if the 2 year old is still likely to cry (mine is) you just feel better about not being wall to wall with some other poor soul who wants to sleep LOL. It is more expensive. I don't think we'd be planning a trip if we didn't buy a camper

Micki

We stayed at FW on our last trip and have 4 kids (13,12,8,8). We stayed in a cabin and it was great! The 8 year olds loved it. Of course, we don't camp much and this was camping to them. They enjoyed the animals at the petting zoo, hoop de doo, eating breakfast on the deck and riding the boat to MK. They also have playgrounds throughout the resort but the pools were just rectangular bodies of water.

On previous trips we've stayed at the ASmo. It was fun but it was still a hotel. Something that my kids are used to. The pool is just a pool but an irregular shape. I remember only one playground. Seeing the giant icons was fun - but that wore off.

We are returning here this year after taking a vote (2 AS rooms vs FW). We got a great rate using a code from Mousesavers.

I think that it depends alot on when you are going-you mentioned Nov and that is when we are planning to go. Believe me, I really wanted to stay at Fort Wilderness, great childhood memories there, but we haven't bought a camper yet-we camp all the time, but use a tent. We decided that even if we had a camper, since ASMovies is only $77/night during "value" season, then it would be worth it to just come back to the hotel and crash (and have protection from the weather in case it rains).....since camping is alot of work, although alot of fun. It really depends on what you like, too. My kids are the opposite of someone else that said their kids were used to hotels. We camp often, so the hotel is a treat-we stayed in our first hotel just last June for a weekend (hubby was the only one that had stayed at a hotel before) and DD, 11, DS, 9 and me, 33 at the time, thought that it was really great! I know that AS Movies probably won't be as nice as the Marriot we stayed in, but still looking forward to not having to cook or clean for a week. Good luck-whatever you decide, it will be great, I mean-you're going to Disney!!!

WITHOUT A DOUBT, pick FW....SO MUCH to do, so much space and activities...
is it just me, but I think ALL STAR anything is about the ugliest, grubbiest hotel ever. one year,

could not get the carribean or dixie so I took all star music...
rooms were small and not clean, the whole look was garrish and I hated it...
called CRO, told them I was not have the disney experience and got a room at CB......
for a couple of bucks more, it was well worth it..........
to each his own, I recon............
spinner

I don't know if you thought of this but you can get a studio at the boardwalk for the same amount of money as the wilderness homes. This is where I would have stayed but I had one too many kids. The pool looked great and you were right in the middle of the action. (if this is what you like) We did stay at the cabins and it was nice but we are campers so I was looking to go to a hotel. I was not disappointed, We loved the cabins.

I guess you have a few decisions to make, but here are my thoughts on everything (for what it's worth) :rolleyes: :

--FW is my favorite resort in Disney. It is breathtakingly beautiful & there is so much to do. You could stay in the campgrounds for a week & not get bored.

--If you have a camper definitely choose FW.

--If you don't have a camper what about a split stay between AS & a FW cabin.

--FW cabins are more expensive than a hotel but you may get a code. Also, we always eat breakfast in the room, which saves a ton of money & time (we have 5 also). I prepare it while everyone is getting ready for the day. On the days we are at the pool I go back to the cabin & make sandwiches or frozen pizzas & bring it to the pool for lunch. We have eaten a few dinners in the cabin, although I prefer to go out dinner (I don't mind doing breakfast or lunch) It's great to be able to come back & have snacks. We have justified the extra cost of the cabins by saving on our food bill in the WDW restaurants.

--The cabins have an extra bedroom so you can put the kids to bed at night & relax in the "living area" or sit outside on the deck. We love eating breakfast on the deck also. You get that great morning Florida smell.

I know you don't want to disappoint your oldest DS, but if it were me I would either do a split stay or just stay at FW & tell a "little white lie" - saying that you could only get ASMo for a few days or not at all. Especially considering you can see Woody & Buzz at other places throughout the theme parks.

My 3 DD's love FW & I know given the choice they would choose to stay there. I bet your kids would enjoy it also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter