Gatlinburg cabin OVERLOAD- Help please

Small Town Princess

Mouseketeer
I have planned over 10 trips to Disney... but trying to find a cabin in Gatlinburg is so much harder! There are hundreds!! I am looking for a late June (Sun-Thurs) cabin for 4 adults and 4 teens (3 boys and 1 girl). We want the dream smoky mountain view with rocking chairs on the balcony, beautiful pine cabin with game room amenities, pool access and easy access from the main roads. I am on complete overload as to where we should start. We have heard Gatlinburg has more views than Pigeon Forge. Is this true? (We will be going to Dollywood for one day, Dixie Stampede, the Aquarium and just site seeing.) Which cabin rental companies would you recommend for or against? How does towel service work. Do we have to launder our own each day? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have only been there once, but rented a beautiful cabin from ERA in the Smokies. I would use them again.

My husband is an avid hiker and we've been to Gatlinburg many times. I have used Mountain Laurel Chalets for years now and always had a positive experience. We have had a few small problems like the pump breaking on the hot tub and they were taken care of VERY quickly. I believe that most of their cabins are in the Ski Mt Road area of Gatlinburg.

We prefer Gatlinburg for the park access and restaurants.

We've always rented from Chalet Village in Gatlinburg. They are pretty much all on the Ski Mt. Rd area too.

I live in Knoxville so I'm pretty familiar with Gatlinburg. My family rents a cabin every year for a long weekend and that's exactly what we get - beautiful view with porch / rockers, etc.. We rent a pretty large cabin as it is my entire family (about 6 rooms) and they have all had game rooms and everything you are looking for. We have even rented one with an indoor pool.

As you've realized, there are a ton of rental companies and I'm sure the majority do a good job. Timber Tops is who we have used, as well as, Jackson Mountain and I would highly recommend both. Jackson Mountain is a little cheaper and Timber Tops is more of a luxury cabin rental.

Also, check out Black Bear Falls - through Jackson Mountain. It is a neighborhood of cabins that also has a pool. We've stayed there and enjoyed it. All of these are in the mountains so you have views, etc...

We've rented in the Smokies a few times. I've always found Gatlinburg itself to be quite congested. In the summer the main parkway is frequently bumper to bumper. The same parkway going through Pigeon Forge is crowded, but doesn't seem quite as bad down by Pigeon Forge. One alternative that we enjoyed was staying in a cabin along the Wears Valley road that runs between Pigeon Forge and Townsend. It is a little more away from the congestion but is only about a 10 to 15 minute drive over to Pigeon Forge. There is also a "quiet side" entrance to the National Park on the Townsend side of the road. One recommendation for you is no matter which cabin company you go with, ask questions about the drive to the specific cabin itself. Some of the cabins with the best views tend to be quite high up and many have narrow dirt/gravel roads that access them. Last summer we had a great cabin with a beautiful view, but about the last half a mile of road to the cabin was gravel with steep switchbacks and if you met another vehicle along the way one of you would have to back up to a bend or driveway to get by. We also had to round a 180 degree turn and back up to get a running start to get up the final "driveway".:) Great trip, great cabin, just a little scary drive at night or in the rain.

Also, every cabin we've rented has not included any kind of maid service or laundry. All of the cabins have had washer and dryer, but any laundry was done by ourselves.

We went to Gatlinburg last Thanksgiving and rented from Aunt Bug's. I DO NOT recommend them at all. Tons of things broken, they didn't come to take out the trash like they should have and armadillos go into the cans.
We had a great trip other than that. Dixie Stampede is a MUST and we really enjoyed Dollywood too.

I had to laugh when I read the first sentence...I agree!! People say planning Disney is hard, but I'm so used to it, it's easy to me now. It's planning a "regular" vacation that seems hard.

Following along with this thread because Gatlinburg is in our future, too.

Good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for!! (then come back and tell us about it so I can pick up some pointers :-):-))

As far as towel / maid service, it is similar to staying at someone's house (which is essentially what you are doing). There are towels for each bathroom to use. I would say there was about 4 bath towels per bathroom on average. If we happen to dirty them all, then we would throw them in the laundry. There is no maid or trash service. When the trash gets full you take it out to the bins outside (which are bear-proof trash cans). Generally, at the end of your stay, there is a list of things you need to do before checking out. This usually includes putting all towels and dirty linens in the bathtub, emptying all trash outside, washing all dishes or putting them in the dishwasher and starting them, etc...

I agree that Wears Valley is nice area for cabin. I love driving on that road. A lot of the cabins can be really close to each other, but still pretty views. We used a company called Fireside Chalet on our honeymoon, that had a lot of cabins in that area. If you are going to Dollywood and the Dixie Stampede, I think it would make more sense to stay in Wears Valley area vs Gatlinburg. Depending on time of year the traffic can be bit of an annoyance. If you go into the national park, which I highly recommend use the Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge By-Pass roads to avoid some of the traffic.
We often stay at a hotel when we go, because we honestly, aren't in our rooms enough to really justify cost of cabin. We rented with a company called Parkside Cabin rentals, on our most recent trip to Gatlinburg because we've always wanted to stay in the Gatlinburg area. Can't say I had the best view but it was still an ok view, but I hated the steep driveway, and bear that visited our cabin at midnight, haha. (Oh and they had no bear proof trash cans and in Gatlinburg and really in that entire area, the bears will get all up in the trash cans. So find out about trash pickup.
Parkside Cabin Rentals gave us a better discount when we called them to book trip and they are right next to the liquor store when you enter Gatlinburg and make a left turn. It was very easy to pick up our key and they gave us 4 free parking passes, for this one particular garage and 2 aquarium tickets (we had 6 people, but still nice). With Parkside, however our cabin had no security. Some of the cabins will have a code you punch in, etc. So I kinda didn't like that also. I remember awhile back some cabins were getting broken into, but I think they were cabins being built and people may have been stealing new appliances.

I recommend parking behind aquarium in City parking garage for the day you do that, and we like that garage for price, and it kinda does put you walking a bit if you venture up the road. I got married in that area, and just love it. On our latest trip we stayed in the Clarion Inn in Gatlinburg- loved it's location because it was at the end of the Gatlinburg strip and had several nice restaurants (and some of my favorites- Best Italian, Cherokee Grill, also a new Crockett's restaurant, and Texas Roadhouse, The Peddler,Calhouns, and Smoky Mountain Brewery) right around it. If we wanted to go to Pigeon Forge we just hit the by-pass road, and it didn't take too long to get to Pigeon Forge, but the hotel room was a bit cramped but loved it's location and I actually loved the views from the breakfast area and the balcony from our room.
With cabins, I always researched extra fees and discounts, and try to question location of cabin, because some kids and adults, get scared travelling on some of the winding mountain roads. Maybe pack dramamine for anyone who get's motion sickness. I love the Trip Advisor website for advice on Gatlinburg- there are a few forums.

For Dollywood there is a place kids can go to get measured once and receive a bracelet, but I guess with teenagers that is not necessary.

I have always had to launder our towels as well. We kinda reused our towels on some days (I do that at home too). With Parkside Cabin's they actually had several small bottles of Palmolive Dish Soap for the sink, and some packets of Laundry detergent. I usually go pre-vacation shopping for extra paper items, soaps and detergent and certain snacks. The cabins usually have a roll of paper towels, and a few rolls of TP, but I always usually bring a little back up. Most kitchens are stocked with basic pots, pans, and can openers, but I kinda don't like going on vacation to cook. Sometimes we will get pizza or Bennett's BBQ takeout (like ribs's) and bring back to cabin. I have cooked a few times, but I felt it wasted our vacation.

So many things for the teenager's to do. I always think the tubing, white water rafting or zip lining stuff looks fun, but i'm too chicken to do any of it (well I would try the tubing but not with my 2 young kiddos). At that time of the year, I love the creeks, and there are so many waterfalls :)

Oh and beware of speed traps if you kinda venture in Gatlinburg (in particular the Alamo Steakhouse) near Greenbrier Entrance to park (very nice road for a nice mountain stream). We got a speeding ticket going downhill. I really question the ticket, and it was on our last day of vacation and made me so upset. I spend so much money in this area once and sometimes go twice a year, and we were very much targeted with our out of state, license plate.

Last edited:
We have rented at Westgate in Gatlinburg, which is a timeshare development, and not a true cabin. But we did get great view, and a huge balcony to sit out on, it was great for coffee in the morning. It was very clean and they did switch out towels mid week, and clean the unit. But there was a washer and dryer so we did 2 quick loads of laundry each night. Mostly beach towels and swim suits.. as we went tubing, white watering rafting, also they have indoor water park. They gave us passes for it. There also were several pools which we enjoyed. We like the fact right across from the entrance was a bus stop that would take you into Gatlinburg, so we did not have to drive our own car after driving around all day we were able to enjoy dinner and some adult beverages each night. We have rented a cabin before and getting in and out of the cabin up and down the mountain, and the hassle of all that driving and finding a place to park, for us this was a better option.

As far as meals, lots and lots of options, like I-drive here in Orlando. We got a few breakfast items for going out the door. We did take a picnic lunch most days, lots of place to stop and enjoy lunch. If you want I would do some crock pot meals for the evening, that way everything is almost ready when you get back. We did shredded BBQ Pork for sandwiches. I cooked the pork roast in the oven on about 225 to 250 all night, pulled it out, shredded it, put it in the crock pot on the lowest temp, added in my BBQ sauce lid on and headed out for the day. I did make it wetter than I would have at home as there was no-one to stir it and it came out really tender and flavorful. Spaghetti sauce is another easy thing to. I did bring my own crock pot as the unit did not have one. Make sure to check what type of coffee maker, and other items you might need.

We have been going to Gatlinburg since it was a 'very' small 'hick' town so have watched it grow to what it is today. The traffic in the summer is 'very' congested in both Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge - especially stop and go on the weekends.

I'm not familiar with rental companies as we stay inside the park in our motorhome, but have visited some friends in a chalet off Hwy. 321 (E. Parkway) in Gatlinburg and the views, etc. are so beautiful. There are so many cabins that have the same views, but most would be in the Gatlinburg area, or farther out from Pigeon Forge (not in the town itself).

We love hiking and the mountain views, so it is our destination every year - way more relaxing than Disney (and minimal planning).

I would make a decision fast. I have never been but my kids and I wanted to do something different this year and we decided to use our time share in Gatlinsburg. Two weeks ago the ENTIRE summer was booked. We couldn't get even one week with our 2 bedroom. I am bummed but we are heading back to Florida this year. We are thinking of driving and staying a few days on the beginning or the end of our trip but we are just going to be getting a standard room at this point.

The timing of this thread is so perfect...we are planning to go in the Fall and I feel exactly the same as the OP.

I have looked at dozens of cabins on VRBO and they all look great and get wonderful reviews. But, I'm always nervous that they may be too good to be true. I am going to look at a few of the companies mentioned above and go from there.

Thanks for a great topic OP! And, best of luck choosing. Please do revisit this thread after your trip and update us! :)

I think we have narrowed it down to three rentals. Does anyone have experience with Timber Tops, Cabins of the Smoky Mountains (Gatlinburg Falls) or Flip Key (Smoky Mountains)? I have been stressing for two weeks over this. It's so hard to find the right number of beds, view and amenities. I should have been working on this months ago. Thank you for all of the help everyone!

Same here...Disney is so easy!!! We are planning a Gatlinburg trip in May and decided on a hotel because we really had bad luck with a cabin. The manager at one place told us to make sure they are owned by locals as this one wasn't and was a mess (dirty and run down). There are a lot on Trip advisor and there are a lot that are in a "complex" type with shared pools, I am spoiled I like maid service too!

No, but I always go to the Trip Advisor website also, and join the Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge Forums (they also have reviews- I think some people might write reviews of cabins but i'm not certain if they review the company or individual cabins). I think i've heard of Timber Tops. Beware of the timeshare people when you go on your vacation. Some of them hang out at restaurants, grocery stores, and gas stations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter