Getting groceries near Aulani

travelbug

DIS Veteran
I did a little poking around online to see what options seem to be available to get groceries near Aulani (rather than from the gift shop onsite).

Looks like there is a Target about 3-4 miles away. Is it a Super Target that has a full grocery section, or does it just have a pantry with a more limited grocery selection?

Looks like there's also a WalMart about 2-3 miles away, but it doesn't appear to have much in the way of groceries available.

I also found that there's a Safeway about 5 miles away. **Key factor - I can get about $60 in Safeway gift cards by cashing in MyPoints rewards, so I'm leaning that way even though it's a little farther. I could also get Target gift cards from MyPoints rewards (not WalMart cards though), but the points don't go as far as if I get Safeway.

For anyone familiar with these stores, where would you plan to shop if you were in my shoes? We will be interested in breakfast things, fresh produce, fish & chicken, possibly some canned goods, snacks, etc.

I want to get this figured out so I can get the MyPoints gift cards ordered in plenty of time. Thanks for any advice you have! :)

We did most of our shopping at the Target. It's very easy to get to, and easy on and off the highway.

I did a little poking around online to see what options seem to be available to get groceries near Aulani (rather than from the gift shop onsite).

Looks like there is a Target about 3-4 miles away. Is it a Super Target that has a full grocery section, or does it just have a pantry with a more limited grocery selection?

Looks like there's also a WalMart about 2-3 miles away, but it doesn't appear to have much in the way of groceries available.

I also found that there's a Safeway about 5 miles away. **Key factor - I can get about $60 in Safeway gift cards by cashing in MyPoints rewards, so I'm leaning that way even though it's a little farther. I could also get Target gift cards from MyPoints rewards (not WalMart cards though), but the points don't go as far as if I get Safeway.

For anyone familiar with these stores, where would you plan to shop if you were in my shoes? We will be interested in breakfast things, fresh produce, fish & chicken, possibly some canned goods, snacks, etc.

I want to get this figured out so I can get the MyPoints gift cards ordered in plenty of time. Thanks for any advice you have! :)

They're all fairly close. SuperTarget is probably the closest to Aulani. When I was there last May, they hadn't put in their larger grocery section yet but they were actively working on it, so I was only able to get a few things there. I'm sure it's done by now. There is also a Costco in that same area, too, so I went there and bought a few things. Then, to spread the wealth, I also stopped at the Safeway (only a mile or so from the Costco) and picked up some other items!

I think there is another grocery store in the same shopping complex as the Super Target, but I don't remember the name of it. I think it sold mostly organic food. I'm guessing it's like a Whole Foods. Oh, just found it - it's called Down to Earth, and it sells organic and natural vegetarian food. (Holy cow, I can only imagine the prices! Groceries in Hawaii are expensive enough as is is!)

I did hit the WalMart on another day for some souvenir shopping, and while they had some grocery-type items, it definitely wasn't a Super WalMart. I was a little surprised about that.

Honestly, they're all so close that any one of them would be fine. The Safeway is a little pricey, but if you have the savings card and are flexible in your choices, it really helps.

We did most of our shopping at the Target. It's very easy to get to, and easy on and off the highway.

The same for us.

I don't recall if it was a Super Target. I didn't think it was but there were completely redoing the grocery section when were there last June to make it bigger and have a larger selection. Even with the construction of the area we were able to get what we needed.

There is also an ABC store across the street (within walking distance) that like a convenience store will have items you may want/need as an afterthought.

I'm leaning on going to Target since I have the red card, and also making a stop at Costco

They're all fairly close. SuperTarget is probably the closest to Aulani. When I was there last May, they hadn't put in their larger grocery section yet but they were actively working on it, so I was only able to get a few things there. I'm sure it's done by now. There is also a Costco in that same area, too, so I went there and bought a few things. Then, to spread the wealth, I also stopped at the Safeway (only a mile or so from the Costco) and picked up some other items!

I think there is another grocery store in the same shopping complex as the Super Target, but I don't remember the name of it. I think it sold mostly organic food. I'm guessing it's like a Whole Foods. Oh, just found it - it's called Down to Earth, and it sells organic and natural vegetarian food. (Holy cow, I can only imagine the prices! Groceries in Hawaii are expensive enough as is is!)

I did hit the WalMart on another day for some souvenir shopping, and while they had some grocery-type items, it definitely wasn't a Super WalMart. I was a little surprised about that.

Honestly, they're all so close that any one of them would be fine. The Safeway is a little pricey, but if you have the savings card and are flexible in your choices, it really helps.
Thanks, izzy! This is really helpful information. :)

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

We were there in June. I don't think it is a Super Target but they were enhancing the grocery department while we were there. They had a pretty good selection of groceries including liquor/beer. Costco was basically across the street and Safeway was the next exit.

We hit all three at various points in our stay and used the Costco gas station. Don't forget Costco's easy to fix stuff like the pizzas, rotisserie chicken, sandwich trays.

We were there last Thanksgiving. Bought all the same groceries at the Super Target that we usually buy at home for a weeks worth of meal, and the price literally was not that much more. I cannot remember if it was a full grocery, but I think so. They had every single thing we needed, including all the fruits and veggies for our juicing. It was super easy to shop there because of being really familiar with Target. Layout was exactly the same. It is really close to Aulani, as well. Next time we go, we will run into Costco as well for the rotisserie chickens, frozen pizza, and wine. Have fun!

We were there in June. I don't think it is a Super Target but they were enhancing the grocery department while we were there. They had a pretty good selection of groceries including liquor/beer. Costco was basically across the street and Safeway was the next exit.

We hit all three at various points in our stay and used the Costco gas station. Don't forget Costco's easy to fix stuff like the pizzas, rotisserie chicken, sandwich trays.

Since we're only staying in a studio I wonder if the sandwich trays would fit in the small frig? That sounds like a great idea! :idea: Maybe I could just bring some of the larger Ziplock bags and shuffle them into those?! Hummmm....Great idea about the sandwiches!! THANKS!!

just back from Aulani Target has a full grocery and a great aisle of souvineers(sp).....Costco has a great selection of Hawaiian gifts....mostly choc covered macadamia nuts...they also have a Poke deli service type counter...the Poke with the spicey mayo was TDF !!!! Costco also has the cheapest gas around!

We don't have a costco here... I was thinking it was like Sams where you need a membership...is that not right?

Also, what is this MyRewards gift card thing-a-mabobber you are referencing?

We leave in a month and I'm just now getting my act together on looking stuff up! For my WDW and DCL trips I'm all over it for a year prior, but this year has kicked my booty in busy-ness! :)

Thanks!

Just a hint for military families. We stopped at the base by the airport on the way to Aulani and went to the commissary. It was super easy to get to and we got a weeks worth of groceries for $100, the cost of one dinner at Aulani.
We also got our Hawaii gifts for friends and co-workers at the PX. I got a 5 pack of chocolate covered macadamia nuts for $17. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter