Glacier and Yellowstone NPs

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
We're planning a trip for next summer. We would like to go to Glacier NP for 3 nights and spend 2 nights in the Mammoth Area of Yellowstone. Last summer we visited Yellowstone and Grand Teton, so next year we picked these parts. Does anyone have experience traveling between the two areas? How are the roads, and about how long would it take to drive between the two parks? Does anyone have information about which airport would be the best to fly in/out of?

Thank you.
Bobbi:goodvibes

Hmm...Missoula, MT might be your best choice to fly into/out of - it's a decent-sized city. It's closer to Glacier than it is to Yellowstone.

Last year we flew in/out of Bozeman when we visited Yellowstone - it was only a couple of hours from there to Mammoth Hot Springs. (Probably less - we stopped several times to look at sights along the way!)

Ideally you could fly into Missoula and out of Bozeman, and that would be shortest, but I'm sure it's more costly with rental car drop-off fees and one-way airfares.

All of the roads we were on were fine - mostly two lane highway, though between Missoula and Bozeman you'll have 4 lane interstate.

Has anyone visited Glacier, and then the NP in Canada that's just north of Glacier? Now we're thinking we may just concentrate on Glacier.

Thanks.

If you focus in on Glacier, I think there is enough to do in western Montana without having to drive all over tarnation just to fit in more National Parks. I think a lot of driving is involved to get to Waterton National Park in Canada. My favorite memory of a trip we made, years ago, was renting a fishing boat with a small motor on Flathead Lake to visit Wild Horse Island. We rented the boat form a marina at Big Arm. Flathead Lake is immense, and Wild Horse Island is a huge island. As the name implies, it has wild horses as well as big horn sheep and deer that live there. It's a bit of an adventure to do this, but it was well worth the effort.

At Glacier, there is a boat ride you can take at the Two Medicine Lakes area. This is truly spectacular. The boat will leave you at the other end of the lake, where you can go hiking and take a later boat back if you like. This way, you start hiking in the wilderness.

Also visited a ghost town (I think Garnet was the name) not far from Missoula.

We have decided to focus on Glacier. There have been so many shows recently on National parks including the lodges in Glacier, that it seems to be the right destination for us.

I worked in Glacier National Park when I was in College. I think you are smart to focus on just one park. It's just too far (9-10 hours) between Glacier and YNP. I;ve been to Waterton Lakes National Park, which borders Glacier National Park in Canada. It is also beautiful, but it is different. This park in Canada has a town inside the Park (Waterton) so it's a different feel.

Don't miss:

Going-to-the-Sun Highway. Very steep drops and not for the faint of heart, but it is spectacular.

75676595.oakaUGyD.jpg

Many Glacier. This Valley and hotel are accessible from the East side of the Park, from Babb. There is great hiking, a boat ride on Swiftcurrent Lake and you can rent conoes as well.

482181533_d9af4db703.jpg

Lake McDonald. The largest lake in GNP, there is an historic lodge here as well.

Lake%20McDonald%202.jpg

St Mary's Lake- Simply Spectacular.

wild-goose-island-on-st-mary-lake.jpg

Waterton Lakes (Canada) Prince Edward Hotel. Priceless views.

Waterton_Lakes.jpg

Wow, those are spectacular pictures, CowboyCO!
There is a bus tour that takes you from Many Glaciers up to Canada, to the inn there in time for tea. We plan to do that.
We'll be booking 2 nights in a motel, Swiftcurrent, and then 2 nights in Lake MacDonald area. Does anyone think that staying in the Many Glaciers Hotel is a "must?" I'm not good with steps, and I just think the inn is too "rustic." It's due for a rehab beginning next year or the year after, but is it something we really should stay at?

In Yellowstone, we stayed in a cabin, and visited and took a tour of the historic inn, and that was fine with us. I'm thinking it will be the same for Many Glacier inn.

THE big historic lodge, maybe the most spectacular in the country, is not right in the park, but "across the street" at East Glacier. It is called simply Glacier Park Lodge. It was the first one built (1912). As where the lodges in the park are almost as old, they are Swiss-chalet style. Glacier Park Lodge is a uniquely American piece of architecture featuring 40-foot tall, 40 inch diameter, fir trees in the lobby. You don't have to stay there (the rooms are quite small) but you should at least visit the lodge. As I posted before, you shouldn't miss the Two Medicine Lakes and especially the boat trip on the lake. This is my favorite part of the park. Summer is huckleberry season and you should try to get yourself some shakes or pie. Or both. There's a place called the Park Cafe in Browning, Montana (near East entrance). Plenty of cherries and the like on sale at roadside stands.

I ditto CowboCO's post. It is a long drive and there is plenty in Montana. Of course, we would love to have you in Wyoming again anytime.

We live in Missoula and it is expensive to fly into here. If it busts your budget, do like the locals and fly into Spokane, WA which is a beautiful two and a half hour, no traffic, freeway drive from Missoula then another couple of hours up to Glacier. Flathead Lake is on the way and as someone said, it is spectacular. If you can afford it, fly in and out of Missoula and enjoy the quick trip thru the airport. 5 minutes to clear security here. :)

I ditto CowboCO's post. It is a long drive and there is plenty in Montana. Of course, we would love to have you in Wyoming again anytime.

We're headed back up to Wyo next summer for Yellowstone & GTNP. I miss it. I worked in GTNP for two summers in college (UW - Go Pokes!). To me, there's nothing like GTNP in late Septeember after all the touristas go home:thumbsup2 Of course, now that I live in CO, I guess I AM a tourista!

We did a long tour in this area this summer, flying into Spokane, stopping in Coeur d'Alene, ID, where I grew up, then driving to Glacier, Bozeman, Yellowstone, Laramie, WY to visit my sister, then finally to Denver, from which we flew home. In Glacier, we stayed at all three of the historic lodges: Lake McDonald Lodge, Many Glacier Lodge, and the Glacier Park Lodge. My favorite of the three was the Lake McDonald Lodge, mostly because I thought that it was the most intimate and cozy. Our stay at Many Glacier was marred by an early morning flood in our room as a result of a burst pipe (the place is lovely, but it is in dire need of refurbishment). I would think that if you want to stay in the Swiftcurrent, and have some meals at Many Glacier, that would be enough to thoroughly enjoy it. Have afternoon fondue in the lounge, then bring your binoculars to the large picture windows overlooking the lake. Sometimes you can see bighorn sheep on the side of the mountain opposite the lake. We played a really fun round of golf at the golf course at the Glacier Park Lodge, and had a fantastic dinner at a Mexican restaurant in East Glacier (sorry, I can't remember the name). We arrived in Glacier at the end of June, which really isn't summer yet. Going to the Sun Road was not completely open, which threw a bit of a wrench into our plans, but we did take a Red Bus Tour as far up the road on the west side of the park as we could, and that was a lot of fun.

Glacier is, I think, one of my very favorite NPs. It is absolutely gorgeous, and is not very crowded. Have fun!

Thank you all!!! DH and I have made a tentative plane, one night in the east, two nights around Many Glacier, and 2 nights at Lake MacDonald. The reservation center isn't opened on weekends, so we'll be finalizing places and types of rooms, hopefully tomorrow.

Thank you again for all of the input. Last year we planned our trip to Yellowstone/Grand Teton based on information that we got from the Disboards, and it was a fabulous trip. It's so nice of all of you to help out!!!!

Thank you all!!! DH and I have made a tentative plane, one night in the east, two nights around Many Glacier, and 2 nights at Lake MacDonald. The reservation center isn't opened on weekends, so we'll be finalizing places and types of rooms, hopefully tomorrow.

Thank you again for all of the input. Last year we planned our trip to Yellowstone/Grand Teton based on information that we got from the Disboards, and it was a fabulous trip. It's so nice of all of you to help out!!!!

Sounds like a smart plan. have a great trip!

OK...I'm hoping someone has some experience with a hotel in East Glacier. We have tentatively booked a night at Glacier Park Lodge, but I was dismayed to learn that there are 4 floors, no elevator, and they will not guarantee a room on say the first 2 floors. I cannot do steps very well. I would be very uncomfortable sleeping on anything over the second floor in case of an emergency. So....there are loads of hotels in East Glacier, does anyone have any experience with any of them? I've noted shelemm's recommendation to get something huckleberry!!! That would be something right up my alley!!!
Thank you.

I think it is VERY odd they don't know what rooms are available at Glacier Park Lodge.... I remember booking a specific room (admittedly years ago). Maybe the first or second floors are already booked?

Anyway, although it a MUST VISIT, the rooms are quite tiny. Unfortunately, all the other places to stay in East Glacier seem to be pretty well run down. The only place which looks ok to me is the Sears Motel. I've seen this from the outside when I was there, and it looks like they have cute cabins. Check it out on Trip Advisor. That's where I'd stay if I couldn't get in at Glacier Park Lodge.
The Whistle Stop Cafe just north of town advertises Huckleberry French Toast. Doesn't that sound good?

The Glacier Park Lodge, indeed, has no elevators and LOTS of stairs. When we stayed there in June, we were in a very large family room on the top floor. Lots of stairs for lugging suitcases. Are you able to reserve and handicap-accessible room?

Another option, which seems to get rave reviews (we have never stayed there) is the Izaak Walton Inn, which is located on the southern boundary of the park, between East and West Glacier on Highway 2. Maybe they would have something that would work for you.

http://www.izaakwaltoninn.com/index.html

The Izaak Walton Inn is very far from where the OP wants to be. It is on the Southern Boundary of the park, with no park access by road, hike-in only. I think near a remote Amtrak stop.... the kind of stop where you have to tell Amtrak in advance if you want the train to stop there. Think Petticoat Junction. it may be a good place to really get away from it all, or if you haven't made reservations far enough in advance at more convenient places. I am sure it is a very special place. Still, I don't think it's the kind of place the OP is looking for.

I think it is VERY odd they don't know what rooms are available at Glacier Park Lodge.... I remember booking a specific room (admittedly years ago). Maybe the first or second floors are already booked?

Anyway, although it a MUST VISIT, the rooms are quite tiny. Unfortunately, all the other places to stay in East Glacier seem to be pretty well run down. The only place which looks ok to me is the Sears Motel. I've seen this from the outside when I was there, and it looks like they have cute cabins. Check it out on Trip Advisor. That's where I'd stay if I couldn't get in at Glacier Park Lodge.
The Whistle Stop Cafe just north of town advertises Huckleberry French Toast. Doesn't that sound good?

OK...we will visit the Glacier Park Lodge, it was featured on that PBS special, and I agree, it's a must see.

The person we booked the room there with said that the rooms are not designated until you arrive, it was not that they've already given the first 2 floors to anyone. I don't need an HA room, it's only steps that this point in my life that present a problem to me.

DH noted that Sears Motel last night as a possibility. I'm going to get together with him this evening and we'll finalize that night.

Yes...Huckleberry French Toast sounds delicious. We were in Yellowstone last year, and I can't remember the type of berries they featured there, but they were yummy. I love the Blackberry cobbler that's famous in the Smokies, NJ has Blueberries to die for, I know they come from other states as well, Michigan and NC are two, but the NJ ones have my heart:cloud9:

My happiest berry story is from Nova Scotia. A homemade "Strawberries for sale" sign caused us to stop at a house, somewhere along the Evangeline trail. The little kids raced into the house to find out if they could accept American Dollars, (thankfully the answer was YES!) and DH and I enjoyed the sweetest strawberries we've ever had.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter