Go in Dec. or wait until May?

Cameo

DIS Veteran
Here's my question of the day. We cancelled our vacation for September. We were put on a wait list for SOG for December and we made it in. So, do I go now or wait until next May?

Other circumstances - We (DH and I) have a 4-y-o DD and a 20-m-o DS. DS is horrible when it comes to sitting at a table and eating. He always wants to get up, screams, throws food, won't eat - you know - Terrible Twos! We also really enjoy the water parks. Maybe the kids would be a better age by next May.????

It would be nice to see the Christmas decorations and be there when it's not too hot, plus it sounds like things will be slow and lines short at the beginning of December. What do you guys think? Thanks!

We just changed our ressies from the beginning of Dec. to the beginning of May. We went the beginning of last May and it was beautiful. I am terribly disappointed about missing the decorations and Christmas stuff but we just felt with all the cutbacks and other things up in the air we would be better off waiting. When I called to change the ressies I was very pleased to find that they will honor our rate from Dec. We had a great AP rate and I hated to lose it. Last May the weather was perfect and the lines were not long at all. The hours were better than they are scheduled to be this Dec. and we got to see the fireworks and parades at least twice. It is ultimately up to you but I just read a thread that says that nothing is guranteed until about seven days ahead of time right now. Whatever you decide....have a great time!!!

CatOne:bounce:

Disney is beautiful at Christmas time, but if you feel they will enjoy the water parks, I would definitely wait until May, because usually at least one water park is closed in December, and the water itself will be warmer in May.

Just look at it this way: You can always go back another time for Christmas! :)

We had to cancel our December trip to WDW this year because my DH was forced to use all his vacation for plant shutdowns. We have gone the last two years in December. My DD was 22 months our first year & in some ways it was much easier than last year at almost 3.

Pro's of December trip:
- the decorations are spectacular
- MVMCP (get a sitter for the kids)
- it's warmer in Fl than at home
- it can be your Christmas present to yourself & DH
- this year, I think there will be some bargains to be had
- we all need a little pixie dust in our lives right now

Con's
- economic uncertainty (how stable are your jobs?)
- hectic time of year to begin with, gets a little more so when you are away from home for a few days
- national anxiety over what will happen next (but everyone is more alert now)

Only you can make the right decision for you & yours, but if all else fails, two tried & true decision making techniques are the coin toss & those +/- T accounts.

My DS was just 2 in May 2000 when we went - and his behavior was perfect! People thought I was crazy to take a 2 year old to Disney World - boy, were they wrong. This year we went in March, just shy of his being 3, and while he was pretty good, he did have some meltdowns. You know the kind where he won't come with you, he screams, says some bad words, and everyone who walks by stares and makes you feel ten times worse? Those kind - but not too many.

So, he'll be 22 months, right?, in December - close to 2 years. Or in May he'll be not even 2 1/2 years - so, it's a toss up, right? And it's hard to gauge behavior. But, I'd be afraid of the weather in December. I'm from Boston, and when I go to FLorida, I expect to wear T shirts and shorts and swim everyday.

So I vote for early May - nice weather, and crowds will be low, but you will miss Christmas decorations. Don't go in late May - weather was 97 degrees everyday - ugh!

We've been in December, June, July and August. Now we only go in Dec. There is nothing that replaces the decorations and the spirit of Christmas at Disney during that time.

We took our son at 2 years old. He was fine. We took our son at 13 months, 18 months, 24 months and 30 months. Each time he loved it and behaved much better there than at home. There was so much going on we probably just pooped him out. Anyways, I'm not sure 6 months will make a big difference with kids. The weather might be a bit warmer for swimming but I'm not sure about that.

I think it is a personal decision but we now try to make it an annual Christmas trip. There really is no other place like Disney. Whichever you decide I'm sure it will be magical. It always has been for us. We are leaving in 20 days and I'm starting to get excited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter