• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Go now or wait a year til kiddos are older (Happy update!)

dijid

American Expat in France for a while
DH and I keep going back and forth on whether to take the trek this year with DD 3 1/2 and DS 21 mo in tow. We did the Disney cruise a year ago and at 2 1/2 DD loved it more than we ever thought possible. DS was another story and we wished we had waited a year. We thought we'd hit WDW when he was 2 1/2, but now I'm getting the bug again... (which I'm sure you can all understand)

Here's the catch. If we wait, it is likely we will have a 3rd child as we are pursuing adoption at this point. We will most likely adopt an infant. So, do you think it is easier to deal with a rowdy 21 mo with energy to burn when he's one of only 2, or go when he'll be more manageable, but we'll probably have a baby maybe 6 months with us also.

I only wish going now and going again were an option, but I don't think DH will go for 3 years of Disney in a row. We've talked about going this fall as a compromise, but we're worried that we'd maybe have a newborn then.

This is a tough one and ultimately only your family can decide...

If you know that if you go now, you won't go again for a long time, if ever, and if you are sure you will have a 3rd child, I'd wait till that 3rd child is at least 1 years old although, once you have the bug, it's hard!

I've gone with DD's 1, 2, and 3 years and up and they were all quite managable ages. Actually, when she was 1 she was the most easy going!!!

Good luck!

GO NOW!! Those memories and photos of your kids with the characters and things of Disney at a young age will be priceless as you may know from your cruise. They are only young once. We went last year with DD 4 and we are going back this year with DD 5 and DS 5 months.

This is a tough one! We have four kids and have gone with them at all different ages. While I think taking a newborn would be tough, I was exhausted when they were not sleeping through the night, we did go when our son was five months old. We went in the fall when it was not too hot, and he was an easy going baby anyway. Our older girls were 4 and 2 at the time and we all had a blast! There is so much to do at every age! If my husband wanted to wait I would but I know what it's like to get "the bug." Disney, however, will always be there! We are always planning our next trip, but we do go other places too!!! Lacee

I think it would be very hard to take a tiny infant to WDW. I know tons of people do it, but I would not want to go through all that. It'd be very difficult with feedings and such.

We just took our kids ages 4 1/2 and 2 1/2. The 2 1/2 yo still couldn't do very much. If your youngest is 21 months, he can probably ride all of what my 2 1/2 yo rode with no trouble. I just don't think the 21 month old would be able to do a ton more by waiting until he's 2 1/2 or so. Therefore, I'd say go now. Make this a special time for your two older kids - before the addition of a new sibling.

Good luck!

I say go now too! It's not just a trip for them it's a trip for you too! Believe me I know about the bug and thank goodness my 2 1/2yoa dd is still too young to get the bug. I am always the one the most excited to go, but I think that dd has beat me this year. She has talked about it everday since we told her 3 months ago that we are going. I think that is priceless. I also think that 2 at Disney is going to be a handful, but if you wait 3 will be just down-right exhausting! I could be wrong, but if I had 3 just like my dd I would be sooooooo exhausted that I would need a vacation from my vacation. Go now and have some fun and then go again in 2 years with the new baby if you can.

I vote for going now. Life is uncertain and you don't want to regret any missed opportunities. When I was a kid, my parents planned to take me when I was "old enough." Then, when the planned time came, we were unable to go due to my father's health problems. Everything turned out OK and we did make to Disney World eventually, but you just never know. Go and have a great time now, then hopefully you can go again when the new baby is a little older.

I say go now too! My DS was really easier at 2 than at 3. I also know that adoption can be very stressful and this might be a nice break before your start your new persuit to parenthood again. Of course you will have to go back with that new little one, but that could be in another couple years.

Jordan's mom

2 words...
GO NOW!!!!!!!

And we'll see what we can do about blowing some pixie dust your hubby's way for next years WDW trip!! ;)

I started talking about it to DH, and I think he got the bug, too. It's been 4 years since our last trip to WDW and we just have such good memories of our previous (pre-kids) trips. I think it's time to have good family memories.

So now I'm trying to pull it all together. How good/bad/ugly is it to go Memorial week? Any suggestions for last minute accomodations? We're looking at either May17-24 or 24-31. I've never stayed off property, but we're thinking of getting a condo as my parents and sister-in-law have expressed interest in joining us for part of the week (can you say babysitter?!). Will I be horribly disappointed if I don't stay on site?

Oooh. Getting excited!

Surprisingly enough Mem.Day week isn't so bad.I think alot of schools get out later than they use to.

No you will not be disappointed staying off site! When I first started going I stayed in some really cheap places along 192 and still have WONDERFUL memories of those trips! You might try some of the suites in the DTD area.

Try looking here at what hotels/vacation homes we recommend on the DIS.

http://wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/resort.htm

I KNOW these are great places or they wouldn't be here on the DIS! :) Pete is VERY PARTICULAR about accommodations we're associated with!

Looks like I am in the minority on this one but I say wait....don't go this year! The trip should be special for the entire family and taking children that young, makes it very stressful for the parents in my opinion. In addition, the 21 month old probably won't even be able to appreciate many of the sights and sounds of WDW.

Sure you'll get great pictures and probably have a good time, but I for one find wouldn't take my kids when they were that young. I just feel you won't be able to appreciate the trip and experience as much with children so young.

The decision is yours and frankly, just being in WDW is a great time, so you can't really make a wrong decision. I am sure many folks disagree with me....no problem. It's just an opinion!

I vote for BOTH! How about taking two shorter/lower budget trips? That way they can enjoy it at different ages!

My kids have been at 2&4, 4&6, 5&7, 5mo,6&8, 23mo,8&10, and 3,9&11. The LONGEST of those trips was 4 days, and several were one or two days. (We have relatives in FL, and combine trips.) They LOVED it at all of those ages.

Go now and later!! My 2 oldest sons didnt get to Disney til they were 7 and 10. I wish I would have taken them sooner. The 2 littles ones had their first trip at 2.5 years and 5 months. We didnt have any problems with either little one. This year we are going in Oct for MNSSHP--the boys will be 16, 13, 3.5 and 1.5. I know they are going to have a blast.
You will be so glad you took them when they were little.

We're going! Booked a week for 5/24 - 5/31. Got someone's villa at OKW and now have my MIL and SIL visiting (or intruding, depends on who you talk to) us for a few days.

DH is actually so excited about this he is thinking we should get APs. He wants to change our annual fall extended weekend in Gatlinburg to WDW and then go back again for a week next spring before the APs expire. How's that for Pixie Dust!

Of course, I'm the one hesitant to commit to the APs. If we can upgrade PHs, I'm voting for waiting til after the drive and first day to see if things go smoothly. Before you know it we'll be DVC members LOL!

Before you know it we'll be DVC members LOL!
Hmmm...I sense a "Welcome Home" in your not-so-distant future! Have a great trip!

P.S. Yes, you can upgrade PHs to APs.

You'll love OKW! We just got back from a trip and stayed in a two-bedroom there. Our friends joined us, so we had two toddlers (both 17 months) running around, and they had plenty of room to roam! It was great. Have fun. My 17 month old just loved looking around at everything -- there's so much to see! Your kids will love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter