Going to Aulani -- Let's list places to eat

Anyone have luck getting in to Ama Ama upon arrival? We get there in 3 weeks and all our nights are full :(

Thank you!

How far in advance do you book Aulani restaurants?
Do you call Aulani directly to book?
Do they have a hold on your credit card and penalty for cancellation within 24 hours like WDW?

How far in advance do you book Aulani restaurants?
Do you call Aulani directly to book?
Do they have a hold on your credit card and penalty for cancellation within 24 hours like WDW?

If booking dinner, I would do this at least a few weeks prior during peak times. You can make your reservation at aulani.com, no credit card required, no penalty

Yep, Hula Dogs http://huladoghawaii.com/. Always busy, but always tasty!

Oh my, I never thought a hot dog would look good to me until I read that menu, all those otppings on vegie dogs, plus the lemonades etc. Fortunately, it is too pricy (wish we were kamaiiaina!), so I won't be tempted to go there repeatedly, trying everything on the menu and getting fatter :)

Years ago they didn't allow caffeine. The other thing is it's not a traditional luau setup. Still, in aggregate, it's a very nice production, IMO.

I like the "all Polynesian islands" approach, like they have at the Poly in WDW. When I read in guidebooks about a luau not being "traditional," I have to laugh, as b4 the missionaries we've heard that all they wore were grass skirts, so whatever they say these days is "traditional" really isn't, anyway. So why not see the Samoan firedancers. :tinker:

Electric Beach (also known as Kahe Point) is slightly to the west of Aulani. Keep going west on Farrington Highway (the main road/highway outside of Aulani) until you see the big electrical plant on the right - it's the beach across the street. Be warned that break ins are pretty common in cars parked there so I would make sure not to leave any valuables in the car. It's definitely a much better snorkeling spot than anywhere in Ko Olina (where Aulani is). I got PADI certified there ... :cool1:

http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com/kahe_point_beach_park_snorkeling.html

My brother's family snorkles all over the place. Electric Beach was his favorite. No problems with car break ins for them.

My brother's family snorkles all over the place. Electric Beach was his favorite. No problems with car break ins for them.
The area out past where Aulani is has traditionally been a high crime area, esp for Haole's. I think it's improved a little with the developments out that way but risk remains from what I've seen. I was just talking to someone that lives on Oahu a couple of months ago and the reports from that part of the island from him were the same I got when we lived there in the 80's. In addition, HI is a big smash and grab place. As a rule the rental car company's suggest you leave NO valuables in the car at beaches and other tourist spots with the windows down and the car unlocked.

WARNING - possible stoooopid question here!! We don't go out much at home so perhaps a little behind on today's fashion do's and don'ts. Starting the packing process today - I know we can get by with dressy casual in a lot of restaurants but was curious about how dressy Roy's is? I doubt we'll do Ama Ama but just in case we change our minds…. I was planning to bring either a sundress or a long skirt & top combo for myself & some strappy sandals but what about for DH & DS? Nicer shorts or should they wear slacks? Would leather sandals (not flip flops) be OK or should they wear closed shoes? (Don't want to overpack on the shoes - esp. guys shoes which are heavy & clunky & space hogs!!) When we cruise they don't wear shorts to dinner like some do - we try to adhere to the requested dress code so just wondered what I should pack for them. Thx.

We ate at pizza corner twice. 1st time was at the restaurant and 2nd we had it delivered. It was much better the day they delivered. We have a car so we drove over towards the Target and had breakfast at KOA Pancake House (banana pancakes delish) and also got sandwiches and salads from aloha Salads. We are hitting Just Tacos tonight so I will update after. We also stopped at two scoops for ice cream, it was really good but very pricey!!!

I cant speak for the Roy's in Kapolei but we have been to the ones on Maui, Kauai, Big Island, Waikiki and even in California and all are fairly casual with dress code. My hubby will wear his silk subtle print Hawaiian shirts and dress shorts with Sperry type dock shoes (so closed toe but that is what he prefers) and I usually go with a sun dress dress and sandals-same for the kids...You can always shoot them an email, the website is fairly interactive but I think what you would wear to Monkeypod would also be acceptable at Roy's

Annie ~ Everyone would be fine dressed as you described at Roy's (like others have mentioned) and Ama Ama...Monkeypod too.

Thanks - shoes are gonna be the death of me for packing AND keeping to 1 checked bag pp!! Maybe I'll leave DH's nicer leather sandals at home & just bring his casual Sperry type shoes.:confused3 He has a pair of super casual Merrell sandals that I know he will want to wear when we travel & at DL. But I will also want to bring a pair of athletic shoes in case we want to hike or ride ATV's or something. DS will probably wear his tennis shoes and then I'll pack his slip on flip flops for the pool, Sperry type shoes and his nicer sandals. Uggg. I'm up to like a minimum of 4 prs. of shoes / sandals for each of us. At least mine are all mostly little tiny flat things….and my tennis shoes are like air. But then there's our snorkel gear!! OH the space in the luggage is going to be TIGHT!! :eek: Glad to hear that shorts will be OK for DH & DS at Roy's tho. :thumbsup2 I WAS going to pack some slacks for each of them but maybe I'll leave them at home (I am also bringing a pr. of casual long pants for each of us bcuz I want to go up to Haleakala for sunrise on Maui and I know it will be like 40's - 50's up there.) OY!!!:faint:

Thanks - shoes are gonna be the death of me for packing AND keeping to 1 checked bag pp!! Maybe I'll leave DH's nicer leather sandals at home & just bring his casual Sperry type shoes.:confused3 He has a pair of super casual Merrell sandals that I know he will want to wear when we travel & at DL. But I will also want to bring a pair of athletic shoes in case we want to hike or ride ATV's or something. DS will probably wear his tennis shoes and then I'll pack his slip on flip flops for the pool, Sperry type shoes and his nicer sandals. Uggg. I'm up to like a minimum of 4 prs. of shoes / sandals for each of us. At least mine are all mostly little tiny flat things….and my tennis shoes are like air. But then there's our snorkel gear!! OH the space in the luggage is going to be TIGHT!! :eek: Glad to hear that shorts will be OK for DH & DS at Roy's tho. :thumbsup2 I WAS going to pack some slacks for each of them but maybe I'll leave them at home (I am also bringing a pr. of casual long pants for each of us bcuz I want to go up to Haleakala for sunrise on Maui and I know it will be like 40's - 50's up there.) OY!!!:faint:

You know what? We often pack a duffel full of shoes and miscellaneous stuff. You may have to pay $25 extra for it, but how worth it would it be to have all of those things?

Plus, you are going to buy souvenirs, right? I hope you're going to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet and Pearl Harbor (right by it). :)

You'll definitely need the athletic shoes when you hike Haleakala and Diamond Head.... You're doing that, right? :) What a view! Just don't do it like we did....the morning we checked out and left Ko Olina, so no shower before our flight.

Have a wonderful time! I still dream of it daily, 13 months later. Going back by 2017!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter