Going to Aulani -- Let's list places to eat

I called the Marriott beach club. Fia fia will no longer be there starting April 1. They will have another show called Legend of the Sea. The chief that did fia fia will now be at sea life park.

I called the Marriott beach club. Fia fia will no longer be there starting April 1. They will have another show called Legend of the Sea. The chief that did fia fia will now be at sea life park.

Can I please have that number? They charged my cc and want to get more info.

Thanks

1-808-679-4700. Ask for the concierge desk they handle booking luaus

yep, it's true. They just refunded me my money. What a bummer!!!
I was really looking forward to this luau. She told me the other one is 1 hour away. I hope the one in April is good....

yep, it's true. They just refunded me my money. What a bummer!!!
I was really looking forward to this luau. She told me the other one is 1 hour away. I hope the one in April is good....

Yes, The Chief is moving to the sea life center but there will be a new luau at the Marriott

Just returned from a week at Aulani and a week at Marriott's Ko Olina (where we also own). Two local restaurants in Kapolei (5 minutes from the resorts) that we tried and loved:

El Mariachi--Mexican food, far FAR better than Just Tacos in Ko Olina.

Thai Lao--Thai food, great selection, moderately priced, and BYOB! We came in with a six pack of beer and a bottle of wine--the owner immediately came over with wines glasses and a corkscrew. Buy a nice bottle of wine at Safeway for $20 that would cost $50+ at the resorts!

The Pizza Corner in Ko Olina boasts NY style pizza and is also BYOB...pizza was OK, but not really NY style. $24 for a large, which is par for Hawaii pizza prices in a resort area, just found the pizza to be a bit bland.

Best bargain in Ko Olina: $5 mai-tai's at Chuck's at the Marriott Ko Olina happy hour. Happy hour is 4:45 til 6pm, and 6:30 to close (about 11pm). A few of these and you will sleep like a baby! A mai-tai @ Aulani is about $11!

What are you all eating at Monkey Pods? I looked at the menu and didn't see much that would appeal to my family. Maybe I missed something. What do you recommend?

We did happy hour in the bar area. The flatbread, truffle fries and pumpkin ravioli come to mind that were good.

We did happy hour in the bar area. The flatbread, truffle fries and pumpkin ravioli come to mind that were good.

We haven't been yet but I've looked over the menu. A lot of the appetizers look good along with the fish tacos and flatbreads! Can't wait!

We like Sushi Yuzu in Ko Olina. We like Japanese food quite a bit and it works well for DD13's allergies. The sushi is okay, but I think many of their non-Sushi items are very good and we have ordered more than once (i.e., potatoes fried in soy oil with truffle oil, Hamachi Kama, Miso Black Cod, Grilled Octopus, and tempura hearts of palm with yuzu salt, Lobster or Spicy Shrimp Tempura roll and Lemon Steak). They had started serving breakfast (no lunch) when we were there last November and we plan on making time to try that out also.

Just got back from Oahu a few weeks ago and I will echo most of the recommendations here:

Liliha Bakery
Leonard’s
Side Street Inn
Rainbow Drive-In

My DW and I visit Hawaii at least once a year so we like to hit the local spots rather than chain restaurants I can get at home. I skimmed the thread and didn’t see a few of my favorite spots, although none are hear the Aulani and more towards Waikiki:

South Shore Grill – Best fish tacos on the island and better than anything I’ve had on the mainland. And the coolest thing is they are $2 on Taco Tuesdays!

Diamond Head Market – The moistest blueberry scone you will ever eat

Diamond Head Cove Health Bar – Acai bowls, great for a post Diamond Head hike. Fun fact, the owner’s dog was on Lost.

These three spots are within a block of each other, it’s a triangle of awesome food.

Surprised that I didn’t see these mentioned:

Mitsu-ken – Garlic chicken, the best on the island. Some prefer Sugoi’s but I think they are a bit too garlic-ky. Mitsu-ken’s new location now has a parking lot which is super convenient.

Bubbies – Mochi ice cream in a variety of different flavors (Raspberry, Sakura, Lychee, Chocolate, Red Velvet, Mango, etc)

61790_433800669124_5051551_n.jpg

Bubbies mochi ice cream!

58557_433815779124_6907049_n.jpg

Blueberry scones from the Diamond Head Market and Grill

61186_433815689124_5204792_n.jpg

Fish tacos from South Shore Grill

60458_433816014124_1667223_n.jpg

Mitsu-ken garlic chicken

Everything in these pictures costs less than $15 total

Just returned from a week at Aulani and a week at Marriott's Ko Olina (where we also own). Two local restaurants in Kapolei (5 minutes from the resorts) that we tried and loved:

El Mariachi--Mexican food, far FAR better than Just Tacos in Ko Olina.

Thai Lao--Thai food, great selection, moderately priced, and BYOB! We came in with a six pack of beer and a bottle of wine--the owner immediately came over with wines glasses and a corkscrew. Buy a nice bottle of wine at Safeway for $20 that would cost $50+ at the resorts!

The Pizza Corner in Ko Olina boasts NY style pizza and is also BYOB...pizza was OK, but not really NY style. $24 for a large, which is par for Hawaii pizza prices in a resort area, just found the pizza to be a bit bland.

Best bargain in Ko Olina: $5 mai-tai's at Chuck's at the Marriott Ko Olina happy hour. Happy hour is 4:45 til 6pm, and 6:30 to close (about 11pm). A few of these and you will sleep like a baby! A mai-tai @ Aulani is about $11!

Are there any discounted appetizers with the $5 Mai Tia's?

Thank you

Are there any discounted appetizers with the $5 Mai Tia's?

Thank you

No discounted appetizers, but they do use the Chuck's appetizer menu, and the best food buy in KoOlina is on that menu: Fish n' chips @ $11.99...you get five...five!...pieces of fish and fries for $12. Go to Monkeypod and the fish n' chips is $22 for about half as much.

One night we were at Chuck's happy hour and a couple came in and ordered two mai-tais and two fish n'chips...obviously, they did not just fall off the turnip truck.

We were at Aulani March 3 - 16, and spent 4 days in Haleiwa on the North Shore before that.

At Aulani, we ate mostly in our villa, thanks to Costco. We found that the prepared foods were different than what we get locally, and reflected the Hawaiian cultural mix very well. Especially loved the Korean Beef, Hawaiian-style Chicken, Poke (Sashimi Tuna w/ Hawaiian marinade), Sushi and Sashimi plates, sweet buns, Hawaiian Pineapple (it DOES taste better than the Costa Rican variety we get at home!), pre-cooked bacon, and Asian Wraps for picnics by the pool. And, best of all, a big bottle of Kōloa Rum’s Hawaiian Mai Tai Cocktail, just add ice!

Had the Character Breakfast and a Dinner at Makahiki - both were good, with some dishes we really enjoyed. (Moko Loko at breakfast, and Poke, Sashimi, Huli-Huli Chicken, Kaui Pork & Portuguese Stew at dinner.)

My recommendations are all North Shore, since that's where we did most of our eating out.

In the Haleiwa area, we went to two places we'd seen on the Food Network. We had the *best* Thai food we've ever had at Opal Thai Food. Loved getting treated just like Guy... Opal quizzed us, then surprised us with a fantastic multi-course meal that pleased everyone. (I've read reviews from people who disliked this experience, so caveat emptor.)

We also went to Giovanni's Shrimp Truck, where the shrimp was good and garlicky! The teens had garlic hot dogs as well as polishing off a shared pile of shrimp. We spent about an hour chillaxing in the shade on a rickety picnic table, enjoying the food, family time, and people (+ chicken) watching. We'll be back!

On the way to the Poly CC (& luau), we paused for lunch at the Kahuku Grill, in the former Kahuku Sugar Mill. This was an accident - it was the day we _planned_ to eat at Opal's, but I zigged when I should have zagged and here we were at noon. Fantastic burgers and sandwiches. I had the Paniolo (Cowboy) Combo, and it is in my top 5 burger experiences ever. My wife & my mother tried the Coconut Macadamia Nut Shrimp, found it good but sadly overcooked. The Bruce Irons Burger and Shem's Big Bad both got thumbs up from the teens. If you're driving around the island, or just going up to see the country, this is a great place to stop.

We were at Aulani 2/28 - 3/7. The week prior we were in a house on the windward side at Hauula.

While in Hauula we ate twice a Papa Ole's.. we truly enjoyed it. It's in the shopping center in Hauula with the Long's Drug. It's a real local Mom and Pop. The Teriyaki chicken was a favorite with my DIL, son and DH. I had the garlic shrimp and it was GREAT .. drippy butter great .. I liked it better than Giovanni's.

Prior to checking into Aulani we went to Just Tacos.. My family wasn't impressed. I'm not big into Mexican food anyway - but the ones who love it said the red sauce reminded them of Taco Bell .. I know everyone has different tastes - but this didn't get onto our "go back" list.

We did not eat out a LOT during out two weeks .. mostly due to having kitchens readily available...

Did try Leonard's Malasada's .. just ok .. I was prepared to LOVE them.

Did the dinner buffet at Aulani .. the food was quite good and the service was terrific. I have a sensitivity to Balsamic Vinegar and Mango .. One of the chefs walked me through and pointed out what to avoid! I was grateful for that..

My son loved the shrimp down at the little food place by the pool .. he got it quite often.. laugh..

For our "obligatory" luau we went to Paradise Cove - I had Entertainment Book coupons.. The pre dinner stuff and show were great - the food was "meh" .. nothing to write home about .. not TERRIBLE - just not wonderful. The experience was more what we were going for, and that was worth it!

Other than that ...

Shakey's Pizza (more for nostalgia than anything ..) We had gone to the Swap Meet at Aloha Stadium and passed Shakey's on the way. We decided to stop there for a late lunch/early supper (LUPPER) .. The pizza wasn't like I remembered - but it was pretty good!

And Outback .. It was my older son's birthday and he stuck with "tradition" of Outback. It was as expected .. decent food - great service.

The one thing we got addicted to was POG .. laugh .. went through gallons of it! When we got home, my DIL played with the ingredients .. basically water down some orange juice .. then equal parts watered down OJ, Passion Fruit and Guava .. We've been drinking it at home ever since!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter