Grand Floridian DVC Info, Speculation, and Update Thread - Part 1!

OK, I stand corrected. That means the cost is $226,345. Amortize that over the 51 years of the contract, and that comes to $4,438 per year. Add in MF of (currently) $5.41, and that is $7,676 per year. So the cost to stay there a week is $12,114, or $1730 per day.

All for the privilege of being there during the most crowded week of the year.

All for the privilege of being there during the most crowded week of the year.

That's why there's a media room in the Grand Villa. So you can beat the crowds by staying in the condo and watching TV.
By the way, I didn't figure in lost interest on that $226,000. If you are getting even a 5% return, your lost interest is $11,000 per year!

That's why there's a media room in the Grand Villa. So you can beat the crowds by staying in the condo and watching TV.
By the way, I didn't figure in lost interest on that $226,000. If you are getting even a 5% return, your lost interest is $11,000 per year!

Someone who spent $226,000 on a DVC interest either doesn't care about the lost interest or they are writing the whole thing off as a business expense.

:earsboy: Bill

Someone who spent $226,000 on a DVC interest either doesn't care about the lost interest or they are writing the whole thing off as a business expense.

:earsboy: Bill

Yep, or maybe 4 couples. Divided by four (even 3) its a steal compared to next door at GF.

OK, I stand corrected. That means the cost is $226,345. Amortize that over the 51 years of the contract, and that comes to $4,438 per year. Add in MF of (currently) $5.41, and that is $7,676 per year. So the cost to stay there a week is $12,114, or $1730 per day.

I was told they already sold a 2,000 pt contract for VGF. The person was renting multiple rooms every Christmas and the ability to stay in the GV was a large savings compared to their annual cash outlay.

For reference, because we just checked, a 2 bedroom villa at BLT over Christmas week was $1,450 per night. No cash rate for VGF yet, but it will be even higher for the same 2 bedroom. The cash rate for GV over Christmas will be VERY high. I am guessing around $3,000+ per night. In 10 years, it will be even higher. The large number rooms work the same way as the small number rooms, they are just bigger numbers. If you have the money, $300k upfront is the same as $30k upfront for others. If it pays back in the same timeframe, it is just bigger numbers in the spreadsheet producing the same results.

If I was them, I would make sure it was 20 - 100 pt contracts. Finding someone to buy all 2000 pts is going to be a much tougher task in the future!

I was told they already sold a 2,000 pt contract for VGF. The person was renting multiple rooms every Christmas and the ability to stay in the GV was a large savings compared to their annual cash outlay.

For reference, because we just checked, a 2 bedroom villa at BLT over Christmas week was $1,450 per night. No cash rate for VGF yet, but it will be even higher for the same 2 bedroom. The cash rate for GV over Christmas will be VERY high. I am guessing around $3,000+ per night. In 10 years, it will be even higher. The large number rooms work the same way as the small number rooms, they are just bigger numbers. If you have the money, $300k upfront is the same as $30k upfront for others. If it pays back in the same timeframe, it is just bigger numbers in the spreadsheet producing the same results.

If I was them, I would make sure it was 20 - 100 pt contracts. Finding someone to buy all 2000 pts is going to be a much tougher task in the future!

BLT GV "3 Bedroom" is $2,970 per night XMAS week. $20,790 a week.

Actually, if you take it as a fixed week, it would be 1561 points, due to the 10% up charge.
Week 51 is 1313 for the 3 BR, still a chunk but far less than being quoted. Of course it won't get you Christmas every year, just about 2/3 of the time. Week 52 is 1263 points. Weeks 15 & 16 are the 1561 points though. I know it's a lot but if you want that time at the GF and the 3 BR is important to you, a 10% up-charge if not unreasonable. The real question is whether the GV is worth it for the points period, esp buying at VGF.

Yikes!! Just the annual fees would be more than my mortgage!!

Week 51 is 1313 for the 3 BR, still a chunk but far less than being quoted. Of course it won't get you Christmas every year, just about 2/3 of the time. Week 52 is 1263 points. Weeks 15 & 16 are the 1561 points though. I know it's a lot but if you want that time at the GF and the 3 BR is important to you, a 10% up-charge if not unreasonable. The real question is whether the GV is worth it for the points period, esp buying at VGF.

I guess others thought it was reasonable. I just checked and week 52 for the GV is sold out. Of course, there were only two available for fixed week (35% max), but both already sold. I am guessing week 51 is not far behind.

Week 52 for all studios (lake & std) on fixed week are also sold out. Some are still available for week 51.

So, people are clearly seeing value in this option.

If you want a GV for Christmas, most likely, you will be trying to get one of the 4 remaining (unless, of course, any are held by CRO for cash... then even less will be available).

If you have the money, $300k upfront is the same as $30k upfront for others. If it pays back in the same timeframe, it is just bigger numbers in the spreadsheet producing the same results.

If you have so much money that $300K is the same as $30K to a middle class person, you are not buying a timeshare. The middle class person is buying a TS so he can save money and stay in a nice place. A rich person is not looking to save a few thousand dollars on a vacation, and will just rent a house. Or buy one. Mitt Romney doesn't stay at timeshares, he buys houses.

If you have so much money that $300K is the same as $30K to a middle class person, you are not buying a timeshare. The middle class person is buying a TS so he can save money and stay in a nice place. A rich person is not looking to save a few thousand dollars on a vacation, and will just rent a house. Or buy one. Mitt Romney doesn't stay at timeshares, he buys houses.
It's all relative in more ways than one. Anyone who routinely stays at the GF at that time is already paying big bucks and might well consider a timeshare to get GF for less or get more for the same amount of investment. It'll be interesting to see what fixed weeks go for resale.

That is a funny comment!

The fact is, the wealthy own a lot of timeshares. The ones I know own about six or seven different ones. They travel all the time. You cannot build a house on the monorail regardless of your wealth. Their kids and grandkids want to see Mickey just like the next kid. They enjoy the pools just like the next guy. Believe it nor not, most of the wealthy are just normal people that happen to have more money due to a whole variety of reasons. They might spend more for the type of accommodation they prefer but they are not opposed to saving money while doing it.

That is a funny comment!

The fact is, the wealthy own a lot of timeshares. The ones I know own about six or seven different ones. They travel all the time. You cannot build a house on the monorail regardless of your wealth. Their kids and grandkids want to see Mickey just like the next kid. They enjoy the pools just like the next guy. Believe it nor not, most of the wealthy are just normal people that happen to have more money due to a whole variety of reasons. They might spend more for the type of accommodation they prefer but they are not opposed to saving money while doing it.

I agree. And locking down XMAS week for the next 50 years at GF, no ressies/hassles anything? I can see it.

It's all relative in more ways than one. Anyone who routinely stays at the GF at that time is already paying big bucks and might well consider a timeshare to get GF for less or get more for the same amount of investment. It'll be interesting to see what fixed weeks go for resale.

Absolutely true.....I know families that go to WDW eveyy year for Christmas-NYE and book multiple rooms for the family. Buying a fixed week is a big savings for them over time.

I agree. And locking down XMAS week for the next 50 years at GF, no ressies/hassles anything? I can see it.

I personally can't....have you seen pictures of the crowds Christmas week? :eek: I just can't picture spending a week with crowds every Christmas. If you "lock" in that week, are you still allowed to use the points at other DVCs during the year?

Personally, if I were to ever lock in a week, it would be the third week of October at BWV....Food & Wine, my favorite!!! :goodvibes

I personally can't....have you seen pictures of the crowds Christmas week? :eek: I just can't picture spending a week with crowds every Christmas. If you "lock" in that week, are you still allowed to use the points at other DVCs during the year?

Personally, if I were to ever lock in a week, it would be the third week of October at BWV....Food & Wine, my favorite!!! :goodvibes

You have to experience it, to appreciate it. We go ever year for Christmas week and love it! Yes it is crowded, but if you are a veteran of the parks you will be able to cope. But for that time a year, its not about the rides......its about celebrating the season and ringing in the New Year! Disney does both like no other!

I totally forgot to ask my guide this, but do our dues start now or when the resort formally opens in October?

Dis_Yoda said:
I totally forgot to ask my guide this, but do our dues start now or when the resort formally opens in October?

Dues start in October when the resort opens

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter