• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do keep up with their movie and book preferences, but not their music. My boys heard of John Wayne in the movie Trumbo, and he was cast in an ugly light in that movie (great movie, BTW). They had no idea who he was and I mentioned a number of his movies. Lost.

They do, however, enjoy Clint Eastwood.
Well at least they had heard of him though. I'm not always the best at connecting a face to a name myself.

As to the Clint Eastwood I'm sure there is some parent out there that can say their kid doesn't know who he is.

I do keep up with their movie and book preferences, but not their music. My boys heard of John Wayne in the movie Trumbo, and he was cast in an ugly light in that movie (great movie, BTW). They had no idea who he was and I mentioned a number of his movies. Lost.

They do, however, enjoy Clint Eastwood.

It helps that Clint Eastwood is alive and did a variety of movie genres. Wayne has been dead 38 years and had a narrow genre. My DS loves movies, at a preview tonight ... he knows who Wayne is and did a standard imitation but can't really tell you any of his movies. I asked about others in there - he said he didn't know who many of the really old ones are .... other than Mary Poppins and Wizard of Oz. And while he obviously recognized "Tarzan" he didn't know those actors.

I hadn't heard this rumor, and I'm so glad I went on the ride last week! - We'd gotten to DHS early, and were able to hit the coaster standby before our FastPass. When our FP time came up, DH and DS went again, but on a whim, I skipped a second turn in favor of the Great Movie Ride and met them after. While I understand the need to update things, I'm really grateful that I saw it in time!!

While Micky is nice, I don't know a ride just based on him will fit with the theme of the park.

Could they not make the ride all about Pixar Movies.

I still worry that animation courtyard and old Hollywood side of the park is going to still give HS an identity problem

It's hard to believe they would have a park with only 4 rides.

I think that because of the popularity of ToT and RnRC as a few of Disney's only "thrill" rides AND the fact that it's the only place to see Star Wars characters, etc. they will not be hurt too much by shutting down another ride...it will make lines for the remaining rides LONG and those not interested in shows, will likely park hop or spend a half day in the park over a couple days (rides one day, come back for Fantasmic/Star Wars fireworks one night)...not saying it would be good to shut something down, but they've put things in place that will still draw people there.

My boys are 17 and 20 - they have no idea who John Wayne is.
My daughter - 9 - LOVES the GMR - I think it's because of the real actors that are on the ride with you - she hasn't even seen any of the movies that are on the ride, but wants to ride it every time we go.

I lived in Florida when MGM first opened and remember visiting within the first year. There were never a lot of rides - I think at that time it was only GMR (Alien scared me), Star Tours (loved it), and the Backlot Tour (also scared me lol) that I remember and then shows. I was also like 8 years old and Universal opened around the same time, so I get some of the shows and rides that are no longer around confused between the two parks. The interesting thing to me is to think about what they will do with the Chinese Theater - it was the centerpiece of the park when it first opened. If they re-theme GMR, it doesn't really make sense to keep it as the Chinese Theater or have the hand/footprints out front anymore.

While Micky is nice, I don't know a ride just based on him will fit with the theme of the park.

Could they not make the ride all about Pixar Movies.

I still worry that animation courtyard and old Hollywood side of the park is going to still give HS an identity problem

I was thinking something along the lines of starting with Steamboat Willie, or even Oswald the lucky rabbit and takes us forward through time highlighting the various stages of Walt Disney Studies and even add Pixar to the mix since they are basically Disney movies in many peoples minds anyway.

We rode this 2 years ago, and my son (who was 7 at the time) STILL talks about how a bad guy pointed a gun at him on our boat. "What are looking at, Kid??". Meanwhile, my daughter, who was 5, still makes fun of her brother for hiding on the floor of the boat during the alien part. Such great memories. I hope it's still open when we are there in October. :)

I think that because of the popularity of ToT and RnRC as a few of Disney's only "thrill" rides AND the fact that it's the only place to see Star Wars characters, etc. they will not be hurt too much by shutting down another ride...it will make lines for the remaining rides LONG and those not interested in shows, will likely park hop or spend a half day in the park over a couple days (rides one day, come back for Fantasmic/Star Wars fireworks one night)...not saying it would be good to shut something down, but they've put things in place that will still draw people there

I never bought park hoppers in the past because I am so cheap and am a stringent planner to get the most for every nickel they pry out of my hands, but the last couple times I finally caved in and it has been the most relaxing enjoyable trips I've ever taken. I think that people without park hoppers are going to start hurting due to the DHS ride limitations -- the attraction situation there (especially for those with kids that can't ride half of the rides) has made park hoppers almost a necessity if you want to visit this park at all.

Or maybe this is just talk from a guy that's done a dozen trips or so in his 7 1/2 years of marriage ....

I never bought park hoppers in the past because I am so cheap and am a stringent planner to get the most for every nickel they pry out of my hands, but the last couple times I finally caved in and it has been the most relaxing enjoyable trips I've ever taken. I think that people without park hoppers are going to start hurting due to the DHS ride limitations -- the attraction situation there (especially for those with kids that can't ride half of the rides) has made park hoppers almost a necessity if you want to visit this park at all.

Or maybe this is just talk from a guy that's done a dozen trips or so in his 7 1/2 years of marriage ....

We generally don't get park hoppers either, but I kind of wished we had this time, and might next time.

This time, we just planned DHS on our last morning (flying out late afternoon) and it worked out OK.

I agree - we've been 4 times in the last 3 years and only have gotten park hoppers once. Our HS day has typically been go to the park in the morning and ride many rides, take an afternoon pool break, and go back at night to catch a show or two and then Fantasmic or Star Wars Fireworks (more recently). I did enjoy having the park hoppers when we had them, but hate spending the money on them - would rather spend it elsewhere!

Is there an official closing date?!? I want to make sure to ride it in my December vacation! I love this ride!

If this is true I'm glad I'm going in July and will get to ride it one last time. I love the GMR and have long hoped Disney would invest in it to bring it up to modern standards. There is so much potential with this attraction and it would be a shame to see it go. I would much prefer the Mickey attraction to be an entirely new one to add to the park's offerings rather than replacing an opening-day classic.

Just read that GMR may even close before the contract ends. The new attraction that will go into the GMR building is set to open in 2019 with Star Wars.

The building stays, the inside completely gutted, new ride system and all.
I love the GMR...one of my favorites. It's so sad to see something go that you look forward to every time. If they ever close Haunted Mansion, I'll cry real tears!

This makes me so sad. I'm a huge movie buff so it's definitely one of our favorite "must do" rides - but I never knew that so many people didn't like it! I agree with PPs that they could have easily kept the ride updated with newer properties & dialogue, while keeping the classics as the highlights. Very sad to see it go. At least we'll be able to ride it one more time in Feb.
The movie classics will always be the classics. What would today's generation of young families consider the classics besides the movies throughout the history of movies. I enjoy the nostalgia. And what kid hasn't seen the wizard of oz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter