Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
We made FPs for it for 8/17 - not sure if the above poster is a glitch or already made a Tier 1 but it is available the next week.
It's available to FP as far out as 8/30. Can't check further out than that, that's the end of our trip

Don't forget Mickey's Philharmagic. While Mickey plays a pretty small role, it DOES have his name in the Attraction.

I did think of that one but wasn't sure if it qualified since it really features Donald more than Mickey, but fair point that his name is on it

I did think of that one but wasn't sure if it qualified since it really features Donald more than Mickey, but fair point that his name is on it

The name really confused me the first time I saw it. It IS a little misleading.

Y'all are just making me want to see Philarmagic in person :P

One of my favorites.

And if we are giving Mickey credit for Attractions - we should also mention Fantasmic! He is defeinitely the star of THAT show!

That's a show not a ride. Mickey has had shows before never an actual ride.

Right. The original comment from @TheMaxRebo was that this would be the first ride, and he mentioned a couple of defunct attractions, but I was pointing out that he didn't include "Fantasmic!", which is not a ride, but IS an attraction.

BTW - :thumbsup2 to your avatar! "Nobody gets me - I'm the wind, baby!"

Just read that GMR may even close before the contract ends. The new attraction that will go into the GMR building is set to open in 2019 with Star Wars.

The building stays, the inside completely gutted, new ride system and all.

Personally, that's the best part of HS, so won't be going there again. Dis probably doesn't want to spend the money to keep it, I imagine it's quite $$$$$. They prefer to put in an attraction with cheap videos playing 24/7?

My daughter will be sad to see GMR go...it was one of her favorites! I am sure she will not miss me complaining about the fact that they showed zero Jimmy Stewart scenes though. I was always super salty about that lol. His movies are better than half the ones they show!

As long as Steamboat Mickey is somewhere on the ride I'm good with it, favorite version of Mickey ever :)

Can anyone give some links to sources on this rumor? Im a little skeptical, as this ride is a centerpiece of DHS theming... could it be that only the sponsorship/ partnership with TCM is ending and the ride will remain?

Can anyone give some links to sources on this rumor? Im a little skeptical, as this ride is a centerpiece of DHS theming... could it be that only the sponsorship/ partnership with TCM is ending and the ride will remain?
Ah but here is the rub,
The DHS theme is changing with opening of TSL and SWE, and they want another huge people eater to help with SWE crowds. By alot of reports, GMR is in need of a ton of work, and while Disney could afford to fix it, they have decided to move to a new ride system that is easier and cheaper to maintain.

Most rumor are all over on this, one choice is WDWMagic.com, but alot of sites have this rumor.

Per Martin(a very reliable insider) this ride will close this fall, to start work.

Ah but here is the rub,
The DHS theme is changing with opening of TSL and SWE, and they want another huge people eater to help with SWE crowds. By alot of reports, GMR is in need of a ton of work, and while Disney could afford to fix it, they have decided to move to a new ride system that is easier and cheaper to maintain.

Most rumor are all over on this, one choice is WDWMagic.com, but alot of sites have this rumor.

Per Martin(a very reliable insider) this ride will close this fall, to start work.

Do you think that this will be announced at D23?

Do you think that this will be announced at D23?
the new name, not sure. I do think there will be a ton on SWE and TSL, so maybe they announce the whole new park theme. Hard to tell.

I do think there will be EPCOT stuff as well, just not sure how much. Betting in Rat, and MAYBE GotG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter